Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really interesting history on these US coins minted for the Philippines while it was a US territory--especially the 1944-S. It's the size of a US quarter and an uncommon find in the dirt here in the US. What a story this coin could tell! :occasion14:

Here's a bit of history:

During the 1942 through 1944 Japanese occupation of the Philippines, nearly all coins disappeared from circulation. In the occupied areas the Japanese collected all of the coins, melted them down, and shipped them back to Japan. The few pre-war coins that escaped the melting pots were hoarded and hid away until after the war. Most daily commerce was conducted with low denomination paper currency (Emergency or Guerilla Currency) printed by Guerrilla military units, local municipalities, or Military and Civilian Currency Boards authorized by General MacArthur or the Commonwealth government-in-exile under President Quezon.

During the Japanese occupation there was a very active resistance movement in the Philippines, and allied intelligence was very much aware, of the economic situation in the islands, and the need to bring new coins and currency with them when they liberated the Philippines.

In preparation for General MacArthur's return to the Philippines, the Treasury Department ordered the San Francisco Mint to strike millions of One Centavo coins. When American forces liberated the Philippines in 1944 - 1945 they brought with them Fifty Eight Million 1944-S One Centavo victory coins.

The 1944-S USA-Philippine One Centavo uses the same obverse and reverse designs as the pre-war One Centavo. It has the same weight and diameter as the pre-war issues but uses a different wartime composition. The war-time alloy was made from salvaged shell casings and used no tin in order to conserve that strategic metal for the war effort. Since the resulting coins had no tin in them they are actually brass rather than bronze. The wartime brass alloy consisted of 95% copper and 5% zinc. This is the same alloy the mint used for the production of U.S. wartime pennies dated 1944-1946. The mint produced this alloy by combining ingots of pure copper with salvaged 70% copper shell casings.

Attachments

• 1944 US 1 Centavo (obverse).jpg
    1944 US 1 Centavo (obverse).jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 1944 US 1 Centavo (reverse).jpg
    1944 US 1 Centavo (reverse).jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 16

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really interesting history on these US coins minted for the Philippines while it was...

Cool find and interesting background. I was not familiar with that coin, and certainly never dug one. Did you find that locally? Congrats on finding such an interesting piece of history.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find and interesting background. I was not familiar with that coin, and certainly never dug one. Did you find that locally? Congrats on finding such an interesting piece of history.

Thanks. Yes I found it here in NJ in an area that has produced a lot of wheat cents from around the same time frame (mid 40s). Thought it was a half-cent or a KG, but was happy with a coin I have never dug before and not that many get posted here so kinda a "rarish" dug find. For our harsh NJ soil this one is in pretty good condition.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Erik, I found one of those last March at former WWII housing here in my home town. The spot is a hill side spot next to a lake, I also dug Chinese cache coins and a Japanese Showa 100 yen. Had me scratching my head until I learned about the GI’s being housed nearby.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Erik, I found one of those last March at former WWII housing here in my home town. The spot is a hill side spot next to a lake, I also dug Chinese cache coins and a Japanese Showa 100 yen. Had me scratching my head until I learned about the GI’s being housed nearby.

Yeah I saw your Victory Coin when I did a search. :occasion14: I wasn't surprised because you seem to find just about everything amazing! The US Philippine coin, esp the 44-S, though under-appreciated, is a very cool and uncommon military-related find.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine was holed too, so a kid must have received it from his dad as a present from overseas

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the background about that coin and congratulations on finding in the ground over here. I have one or 2 in my coin collection from an uncle who returned from the war.

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the history lesson. Good job on the research. I found one here in Maryland in August this year and another one about a year ago. They are cool looking coins. Thanks again, stay safe and keep swingin.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Eric. Those are a tougher coin to find in the dirt. I have found the 10 and 50 Centavos coins, but never a 1.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions