🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday's hunt was cold and windy most of the time.
My toes and fingers were numb 10 minutes into the hunt. I returned to the car to stick fleece gloves under my digging gloves. Problem solved!:occasion14:

Anyway...

Sometime later in the hunt, on a tall wooded hilltop overlooking town, my detector picked up a signal coming from a black felt pouch on the surface. It was stuffed with some kind of white crystals or rocks but my pinpointer was still detecting metal inside.

Rather than open it in the field I took it home to sort out later. I carefully removed the contents into a disposable bowl.
The contents:
2 Quartz stones
3 Shells
1 Pewter Feather Charm
1 Walrus Charm marked 'Riccio 1993'
1 Small box lined with cotton
Loosely in the pouch were what appear to be mouse droppings and larger bird droppings (The pouch was closed tightly by the draw strings so I think the droppings were part of the original contents) :icon_scratch::tard:

I disposed of everything except the feather and the walrus - after disinfecting of course.

Some of My more normal finds:
Ox Shoe
1/2" diameter lead ball with a bit of sprue still attached
1" diameter iron ball (6th one from this site so far) pictured with one that I cleaned up recently
1951 Toasted Wheat Cent plus a couple of Lincoln Memorials

These very thin silver colored discs keep turning up on one of the hillsides. They are quite annoying. Every time I dig one I think I've dug a silver quarter. :BangHead:

Thanks for Looking.
Nick

Attachments

• IMG_3471.jpg
    IMG_3471.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3470.jpg
    IMG_3470.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3539.jpg
    IMG_3539.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3540.jpg
    IMG_3540.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3538.jpg
    IMG_3538.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3537.jpg
    IMG_3537.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3547.jpg
    IMG_3547.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3546.jpg
    IMG_3546.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3545.jpg
    IMG_3545.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3560.jpg
    IMG_3560.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3561.jpg
    IMG_3561.jpg
    697 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3552.jpg
    IMG_3552.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3555.jpg
    IMG_3555.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 106
Upvote 20
OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I think it was a stoned hippy "possible" bag! But... only God knows what would have been possible with all those ingredients!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some more info on your charm. Apparently Riccio Pandora is an Italian charm maker I think???

https://www.ebay.it/b/Riccio-Pandora/140956/bn_7032213999

I think Doctor Google has given you a bum steer. There’s no Italian company or person called “Riccio Pandora” making bracelet charms. “Riccio” is Italian for “hedgehog” (although it also means “curly” as a masculine adjective) and Google has led you to Italian sellers of hedgehog charms for “Pandora” bracelets.

Pandora is the worldwide jewellery manufacturer founded by in Denmark by Per Enevoldsen that makes ridiculously overpriced (bead-like) charm bracelets with a custom fitting originally designed to make it difficult to fit anyone else’s charms to their products.

There was a costume jewellery maker in Italy in the 1990s making inexpensive bracelets and necklaces in silver for retailers known just as “Riccio”, but nothing to do with "Pandora", and I think this will probably be the maker of the walrus.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some more info on your charm. Apparently Riccio Pandora is an Italian charm maker I think???

https://www.ebay.it/b/Riccio-Pandora/140956/bn_7032213999
The walrus continues to mystify us....:o

Personally, I think it was a stoned hippy "possible" bag! But... only God knows what would have been possible with all those ingredients!
Hopefully they weren't too stoned ArfieBoy because there was a cliff edge with a 200' drop several paces away... :stop::exclamation:

I think Doctor Google has given you a bum steer. There’s no Italian company or person called “Riccio Pandora” making bracelet charms. “Riccio” is Italian for “hedgehog” (although it also means “curly” as a masculine adjective) and Google has led you to Italian sellers of hedgehog charms for “Pandora” bracelets.

Pandora is the worldwide jewellery manufacturer founded by in Denmark by Per Enevoldsen that makes ridiculously overpriced (bead-like) charm bracelets with a custom fitting originally designed to make it difficult to fit anyone else’s charms to their products.

There was a costume jewellery maker in Italy in the 1990s making inexpensive bracelets and necklaces in silver for retailers known just as “Riccio”, but nothing to do with "Pandora", and I think this will probably be the maker of the walrus.
I'm thinking you might be on the right track with the Italian costume jewellery maker from the 1990s, Red-Coat. All this would be a lot simpler and beneficial for me if it were marked 14K! :laughing7:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting finds for sure.

If your "silver" discs are magnetic & about 2" in dia, they look like tin tabs for holding tar paper to a roof. Sort of like a washer for a nail holding tar paper.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks Red-Coat...yes I was a bit skeptical that I was correct with my post thus I ended with "I think???" :laughing7: I looked up "riccio" as I was concerned it might have been Italian for hedgehog ( so many of the charms were hedgehogs) but you're right Google again let me down and Google Translate said it meant curly. I saw other cheap silver (plated?) jewelry with the word Riccio so I'm sure you are correct in your assessment that that Riccio is the maker of the walrus as well. Thanks for the clarification.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first impression is that it's connected to witchcraft...buried in the ground to affect people living in the area perhaps? This happens to churches in my area of Seattle....any churches nearby?

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m with you about digging in the cold or heat or rain, those don’t deter me. However, frozen ground or heavy snow cover mean a no go for me. You’ve sure been making some interesting finds. Is that area one which justifies seeding it with trash discs just to discourage metal detectors? I’ve seen a guy at a New Hampshire beach tossing Zincolns by the handful and I’m sure that it was just to mess with MDr’s. I, on the other hand, have seeded a beach with a handful of pennies when I’m bringing my grandnephews MDing. That way I’m sure that we’ll find something besides the usual bottle caps and pull tabs.

I’m sure that what you found is not a medicine bag, at least not an authentic one. The material is completely wrong for that. Good luck in your quest for answers.
dts

Last edited:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Bird poo in a box? Hmmmmmmmm, my Italian grandmother would tell me to put the poo on my head for good luck

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first impression is that it's connected to witchcraft...buried in the ground to affect people living in the area perhaps? This happens to churches in my area of Seattle....any churches nearby?
Actually it was on the surface, Coinstar magnet... either dropped there or placed there on a high bluff.

I’m with you about digging in the cold or heat or rain, those don’t deter me. However, frozen ground or heavy snow cover mean a no go for me. You’ve sure been making some interesting finds. Is that area one which justifies seeding it with trash discs just to discourage metal detectors? I’ve seen a guy at a New Hampshire beach tossing Zincolns by the handful and I’m sure that it was just to mess with MDr’s. I, on the other hand, have seeded a beach with a handful of pennies when I’m bringing my grandnephews MDing. That way I’m sure that we’ll find something besides the usual bottle caps and pull tabs.

I’m sure that what you found is not a medicine bag, at least not an authentic one. The material is completely wrong for that. Good luck in your quest for answers.
dts
That's the strange thing, dts52. It's not a spot that would justify the discouragement of metal detecting. It's on a high hilltop right near a camping area. This is the same area where I am finding the 1 inch diameter iron balls and some occasional vintage jewelry. Maybe these were from making crafts or part of a scavenger hunt. As for the bag it will probably remain a mystery to everyone except the person who assembled the contents and left it there...:dontknow:

Bird poo in a box? Hmmmmmmmm, my Italian grandmother would tell me to put the poo on my head for good luck
:laughing7:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m completely stumped by the discs. Looks like we’re out of luck for awhile with all this “yankee sunshine” falling from the sky.
dts

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m completely stumped by the discs. Looks like we’re out of luck for awhile with all this “yankee sunshine” falling from the sky.
dts

A snow day off from work and I can't even metal detect!!! :laughing7:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make believe that your snow shovel is a metal detector.
dts

Well I tried that and it just wasn't as much fun... :tongue3:
Nick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions