🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday's hunt was cold and windy most of the time.
My toes and fingers were numb 10 minutes into the hunt. I returned to the car to stick fleece gloves under my digging gloves. Problem solved!:occasion14:

Anyway...

Sometime later in the hunt, on a tall wooded hilltop overlooking town, my detector picked up a signal coming from a black felt pouch on the surface. It was stuffed with some kind of white crystals or rocks but my pinpointer was still detecting metal inside.

Rather than open it in the field I took it home to sort out later. I carefully removed the contents into a disposable bowl.
The contents:
2 Quartz stones
3 Shells
1 Pewter Feather Charm
1 Walrus Charm marked 'Riccio 1993'
1 Small box lined with cotton
Loosely in the pouch were what appear to be mouse droppings and larger bird droppings (The pouch was closed tightly by the draw strings so I think the droppings were part of the original contents) :icon_scratch::tard:

I disposed of everything except the feather and the walrus - after disinfecting of course.

Some of My more normal finds:
Ox Shoe
1/2" diameter lead ball with a bit of sprue still attached
1" diameter iron ball (6th one from this site so far) pictured with one that I cleaned up recently
1951 Toasted Wheat Cent plus a couple of Lincoln Memorials

These very thin silver colored discs keep turning up on one of the hillsides. They are quite annoying. Every time I dig one I think I've dug a silver quarter. :BangHead:

Thanks for Looking.
Nick

Attachments

• IMG_3471.jpg
    IMG_3471.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3470.jpg
    IMG_3470.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3539.jpg
    IMG_3539.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3540.jpg
    IMG_3540.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3538.jpg
    IMG_3538.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3537.jpg
    IMG_3537.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3547.jpg
    IMG_3547.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3546.jpg
    IMG_3546.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3545.jpg
    IMG_3545.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3560.jpg
    IMG_3560.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3561.jpg
    IMG_3561.jpg
    697 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3552.jpg
    IMG_3552.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3555.jpg
    IMG_3555.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 106
Upvote 20

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your pouch was probably hung in a tree by a Native American as a prayer offering. Not creepy to me.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Creepy indeed sir! :laughing7: Especially the box of turds--if it wasn't for that box of cr*p I'd have guessed maybe a kid dropped a collection of misc items. I guess the walrus indicates it was a post 1993 drop by maybe a weirdo ???:dontknow:

Since you found it so close to the 40th anniversary of John Lennon's death--the walrus takes on special significance:

"Here's another clue for you all--the walrus was Paul!" (or was it? :tongue3:)

Last edited:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Good job getting out. Are those discs punch-outs from an electrical box?
It was cold yesterday, wasn’t it? As my grandfather used to say “colder than a well diggers as$”.
I’m itching to get out but tied down trying to get the house cleaned and ready for some relatives coming for an extended visit. I’d rather be detecting... does that make me a bad person? More importantly, do I care whether it does?
HH
dts

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either an offering or a curse. Either way you have disturbed it. Watch your back :laughing7: :laughing7:

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your pouch was probably hung in a tree by a Native American as a prayer offering. Not creepy to me.
That could be a possibility, Sheperdess. The creepy part is the mouse droppings.

I agree. Or maybe an individuals medicine bag. JMHO
Could be, T.C. but what could but why mouse droppings?

Just another hippie pouch offering
They must have been tripping when they put mouse droppings in there, alan m, unless it was a favorite mouse pet?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Witches bag to me, but I'm no expert. However, I'm pretty sure I would have disposed of it all, just in case it had some kind of spell attached to it. Just depends if you believe in these types of powers.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could be a possibility, Sheperdess. The creepy part is the mouse droppings.

Could be, T.C. but what could but why mouse droppings?

They must have been tripping when they put mouse droppings in there, alan m, unless it was a favorite mouse pet?

??? Say again?

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
I'm with Crusader. There's a lot of symbolism going on so I asked a wiccan friend of mine what was going on here. She couldn't say offhand but what it was but did say that it does sound to be a spell of some kind. My guess is that by disturbing it, you're now going to dig nothing but zincolns next year. :laughing7: <I keed! I keed!>

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creepy indeed sir! :laughing7: Especially the box of turds--if it wasn't for that box of cr*p I'd have guessed maybe a kid dropped a collection of misc items. I guess the walrus indicates it was a post 1993 drop by maybe a weirdo ???:dontknow:

Since you found it so close to the 40th anniversary of John Lennon's death--the walrus takes on special significance:

"Here's another clue for you all--the walrus was Paul!" (or was it? :tongue3:)
Interesting theory about a John Lennon connection and the walrus, Erik. It was a lucky break that it had a 1993 on it for dating the drop.

Ok, that is definitely creepy!
Exactly, claypile...

This is an amazing find. Impressive!
Definitely one of my more mysterious ones, LenardaCroyle and Welcome to TNet! :hello:

A very unique find - congrats !
Thanks, E-Trac-Ohio. Definitely the best one of the hunt.

Either an offering or a curse. Either way you have disturbed it. Watch your back :laughing7: :laughing7:
That's why I was almost afraid to ask, Steve. I knew all of the curse theories would emerge here.

KOO-KOO-KA-CHEW
That little charm is indeed "The Walrus", NJearthman.

Looks like a Witches bag to me, but I'm no expert. However, I'm pretty sure I would have disposed of it all, just in case it had some kind of spell attached to it. Just depends if you believe in these types of powers.
Yes, CRUSADER that might have been the intent by someone who believes in that. I disposed of what was "germy" and kept what was interesting.

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job getting out. Are those discs punch-outs from an electrical box?
It was cold yesterday, wasn’t it? As my grandfather used to say “colder than a well diggers as$”.
I’m itching to get out but tied down trying to get the house cleaned and ready for some relatives coming for an extended visit. I’d rather be detecting... does that make me a bad person? More importantly, do I care whether it does?
HH
dts
Hey, dts. I had the whole day off and put off more practical tasks like changing the oil in the mower until afterwards. The cold never let up and I went through varying stages of numbness to warmness. Lucky for the fleece gloves inside the digging gloves. I will dig in any kind cold and/or snow as long as the ground is not frozen. No pain, no gain. :laughing7: The discs show up almost every hunt there. It's almost as though the site were "seeded" to discourage metal detecting. :BangHead: They are much too thin for punch-outs. I would have thought they were sequences except they have no holes to dangle from.

??? Say again?
Yes, T.C. there were about a 1/2 dozen mouse droppings and some other unidentifiable gross grayish organic material.

Cool Finds.:coffee2:

Looks like a well Broke in Leather Drawstring Pouch to me !

Keeper if no Holes. Their Running $30.. if not Faux Leather

View attachment 1885257 View attachment 1885258
https://www.google.com/search?q=Lea...BAgIEAE&biw=1408&bih=631#imgrc=yrwAUeyWHTo6QM
The pouch was more like felt with a cloth backing, jeff of pa. Not really worth keeping. I like the ones in your pictures much better. :thumbsup:

I'm with Crusader. There's a lot of symbolism going on so I asked a wiccan friend of mine what was going on here. She couldn't say offhand but what it was but did say that it does sound to be a spell of some kind. My guess is that by disturbing it, you're now going to dig nothing but zincolns next year. :laughing7: <I keed! I keed!>
I think someone cast that Zincoln spell on me ages ago, OtakuDude! :tongue3:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't really think it had anything to do with Lennon, I was just being engaging in a bit of wordplay for the Beatles fans here since we just passed the 40th anniversary of Lennon's tragic murder. The walrus charm was very apropos. I've done a bit of searching on Riccio 1993 and only come up with references to a book or paper on Eskimo symbolism and now this post :laughing7:. It'll be interesting is anyone else comes up with anything on Riccio 1993. The box of poop is the enigmatic item there--box looked crushed. Did it have a cover on it?

I will definitely nominate you for the Weirdest Find of 2020 right next to the guy that found the three messages in a bottles from the 1930's seemingly penned by someone from inside an insane asylum. Screw the Banner that posts every US gold coin and GW button ever found :sleepy2:--we need a *Weird Find* Banner! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Wildcat1750

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-Tector 730/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really think it had anything to do with Lennon, I was just being engaging in a bit of wordplay for the Beatles fans here since we just passed the 40th anniversary of Lennon's tragic murder. The walrus charm was very apropos. I've done a bit of searching on Riccio 1993 and only come up with references to a book or paper on Eskimo symbolism and now this post :laughing7:. It'll be interesting is anyone else comes up with anything on Riccio 1993. The box of poop is the enigmatic item there--box looked crushed. Did it have a cover on it?

I will definitely nominate you for the Weirdest Find of 2020 right next to the guy that found the three messages in a bottles from the 1930's seemingly penned by someone from inside an insane asylum. Screw the Banner that posts every US gold coin and GW button ever found :sleepy2:--we need a *Weird Find* Banner! :laughing7:

Weird Find Banner indeed... :laughing7:
No cover on the box and it was pretty damp and soft.
I'm guessing the box held the charms but I lost that little bit of context when I dumped out the pouch.
Nick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions