Fake gold, first-time V nickel, then GOLD!

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friday I was at a new spot for the second time. My first visit taught me to expect a lot of clad and little else, but it was a nice day and I enjoy digging up battery money.

After an hour or so of modern dimes, nickels, quarters, and pennies I got an insistent but scattered tone and dug up a rather long and heavy men's necklace. It was dully colored, so I was fairly certain it wasn't gold (despite a tiny "14K" stamp on the broken silver clasp).

I took a smoke break and mentioned it to my wife when we were texting about something else. "Why do you think it's fake?" she asked. "Because gold should be shiny when it comes out of the ground," I replied. "Oh."

I went along and found more clad. Got another nickel signal and out comes a V nickel, my very first. Big surprise! I had found one Wheatie on my first visit -- a 1909, in fact -- but was still very pleasantly surprised by the V nickel. It is very toasty and I can't make out the date. But that's okay.

My knee wasn't bothering me as it sometimes does so I was digging signals that I usually do not. I got a chirpy 43 on the T2 (usually indicates a ketchup packet or similar). Even when my knee isn't bothering me I usually do not dig these (I know, I know, I should dig *everything*). But the 43 signal was strangely compelling and I pushed the shovel into the ground. Then I had occasion to text my wife the following photo, captioned "*This* is what gold is supposed to look like!"
70mdfinds12112020skyndolwe.jpg

It was the first gold ring I'd found in a couple of years. And while you'd be hard put to find a less valuable gold ring (it's 10K and tips the scales at a whopping 0.9g), I was very happy with it. (And yes, the "14K" chain was indeed fake; it loved my magnet. I include it solely for illustration.)

Thanks for reading!
70mdfinds12112020skyndolwei.jpg

Upvote 15

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day in the field and Congrats on the "V" and the Gold!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on 2 great things... a V Nickle and gold! :occasion14:

OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to determine that the V nickel is 20th century but nothing past the date's first 2 digits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread