I'm digging colonial while my roosters crowed.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was 6 months ago when I hit this part of the mill pond, and gave me an awesome lead seal.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/635221-awesome-lead-seal.html
Now today was filled with the usual get the final things put away before winter and the day was getting long. I looked at the time and said to the Mrs I was going below the barn to play for a bit.
Now it was already going on 3pm and it's pretty dusky by 4:30. So off I went, not expecting a whole lot of anything.
The roosters were upset that I walked right by and never opened the gate to take them along, but time was short.(Been detecting buddies all summer)
I dropped down onto the lower trail and over the 35ft steep embankment to the ledge above the creek. Then started to work my way down to the mill pond where I was in June.
Now the undergrowth was just twigs sticking up, I could see the ground and had the Deus set on fast, no disc, sens 95, reactivity on 2. Now I have no problem digging .22cal lead at 6 inches in these soils as they bush loamy, and down by the pond mixed with sand.
Dug a few headstamps, a few small cal. casings and then I got a high 95 and I dug it out, didn't know what I had, but I took a long drink of water and picked it out of the soils. after taking a picture. There it was a sight to be hold my first real Kettle Point.
20201213_174846.jpg 20201213_153246.jpg
Now I have a steel spearhead from out west that I found 50yrs ago, when life was young-so there's been a long dry spell.
I texted my buddy and said I got a keeper!

Now the second find 85 was a cufflink or tie pin, didn't bother really to look as the day was getting on, so I put in my pocket and carried on.
20201213_181429.jpg
20201213_174931.jpg
Next came this iron signal 06 and I thought well dig the little iron as there might be a something old and interesting- yup an iron fishing spear I believe, really rusted up, and will need some TLC.
20201213_174931.jpg

So off again and I got a weakish 65 but it was there so I dig down 6+ inches and popped this little colonial buckle.
20201213_161526.jpg

Now the whole time I can hear my roosters crowing and the light is failing, and guilt is play with my mind.
I know they want a little playtime in the compost, and get in the barn. So I called it a day a little under 1.5hrs of play.
20201213_175928.jpg

Got things washed up, then it just got a whole lot better, the dirt fell away from the cuff link, the black started to turn silver! Say what! there's initials-now I'm glowing this is a great way of ending it for the season if I don't get out again.
20201213_174945.jpg 20201213_174030.jpg
20201213_175003.jpg

Sorry for the long post up-just a tad excited about my little hunt.

Last edited:
Upvote 48
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds! I hope that you’re able to get out again before Mother Nature shuts you down.
dts

Thanks dts
The weather is changing now, we have a heavy freeze for 4 days, then moderates again so I'll see.

Love the kettle point and the cufflinks! Great hunt :thumbsup:

Thanks Steve

It was great to get two keepers I hadn't dug before in one hunt.

Those are some "stunning" chickens, Jim!!

Dale

Thanks Dale
They can be a handful certain days, but they sort it out. Just have to keep the one little hen separated as it's not good. They're 6 1/2 months old now.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds. I would love to get a set of linked buttons someday. Copper or silver. All I ever find are singles

Thank you toasted
I have gotten singles made of brass, with a silver/gold wash, but this this a first for me.
Best of luck on your next outing.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the nod Dave.
Thought you'd like a pic. been awhile since I had anything worthy enough.
Pips the hen would have no problem following me around, but it seems the roosters like close proximity of home. (Still Fox wary-ever since it took Buttons)

I thought it was funny when you mentioned, "They seem to get the hang of the high pitch tones and when I'm going to dig. Even wearing the headphones they come running over to see if there's the tasty treats (worms/grubs)
It slows me down if I take them out as I have had to push them out of the hole just to see what I have dug." :laughing7:

Best of luck on your return to the site,
Dave

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very Nice Saves and finds of the Kettle Point, the initialed cuff links, and the small buckle. The cuff links are a real personal find. You had a great hunt.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the item. 6 1/4" long × 3/8" in center for thickness.
Seems to heavy for one. View attachment 1886218

Well, I don't think it's an awl, either, Jim! I've seen it some where before...........maybe part of farm machinery? Like you said, too heavy ( & thick) to be an awl, I would think! But then, I'm no expert, either!
Sorry!

Iowa Dale

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Great writing, Pepperj. You found some really cool treasures to end the season. The kettle point is a dream find. Definitely worth a banner vote. Congratulations!

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
some cools finds for sure - congrats.

vp

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, I don't think it's an awl, either, Jim! I've seen it some where before...........maybe part of farm machinery? Like you said, too heavy ( & thick) to be an awl, I would think! But then, I'm no expert, either!
Sorry!

Iowa Dale

Thanks for your insight on the piece.
I know you have been hunting the Fur Trade for sometime and your knowledge is warranted for sure. :headbang:

I still don't know what the use was for the piece, something to do with joining something together?
Maybe I should post on the what is forum.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great writing, Pepperj. You found some really cool treasures to end the season. The kettle point is a dream find. Definitely worth a banner vote. Congratulations!

Thank you for your kind reply WD, even if this might be the last hunt of the season I'm very happy with the outcome.

some cools finds for sure - congrats.

vp

Thank You vpone
You have had a great season-congrats on the great looking gold piece.:occasion14:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7:

Thanks for the reply-chickens are great entertainment but a tad bothersome while hunting. Not a big thing except I had one nab a white porcelain button-so I named it Buttons.
They seem to get the hang of the high pitch tones and when I'm going to dig.
Even wearing the headphones they come running over to see if there's the tasty treats (worms/grubs)
It slows me down if I take them out as I have had to push them out of the hole just to see what I have dug.
View attachment 1886152

:laughing7: I love it!

Beautiful kettle point silver cuff links too BTW! :notworthy:

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cufflink? Good. Complete cufflink? Better. Complete silver cufflink? Even better! Hand-engraved, complete silver cufflink? That's the best! :headbang: I've become a real fan of Contact-Period Native finds, so a big congrats as well on the kettle point. I have some similar-themed finds yet to be posted. I just want to finish up on conservation before posting. Stay tuned.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, Congrats... "D"

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:laughing7: I love it!

Beautiful kettle point silver cuff links too BTW! :notworthy:

Thanks Wildcat (from George -the white one-Bro-Dark brown one-Bubbles the big Transgender-the alpha and has one deep gravelly crow):laughing7:

And a big thanks from me also, for the kind words.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cufflink? Good. Complete cufflink? Better. Complete silver cufflink? Even better! Hand-engraved, complete silver cufflink? That's the best! :headbang: I've become a real fan of Contact-Period Native finds, so a big congrats as well on the kettle point. I have some similar-themed finds yet to be posted. I just want to finish up on conservation before posting. Stay tuned.

Thank you very much Silver Tree Chaser.
It was right up there for getting quality for such a short hunt and took a couple of wants off the list. Though a piece of Trade Silver would make my season no matter if I didn't dig a single target for the rest of one.
Strange though I have spent 7 yrs now off and on searching on 5 different permissions (1500 acres) that border this water system, read up lots on how it was a well traveled native route for 1000's of years. Yet the kettle point is the first hint of anything Native related.
The silver cufflink are caked with the black crust, wonder if soaking them in lemon juice would help?
Looking forward in looking at your post up soon.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much Silver Tree Chaser.
It was right up there for getting quality for such a short hunt and took a couple of wants off the list. Though a piece of Trade Silver would make my season no matter if I didn't dig a single target for the rest of one.
Strange though I have spent 7 yrs now off and on searching on 5 different permissions (1500 acres) that border this water system, read up lots on how it was a well traveled native route for 1000's of years. Yet the kettle point is the first hint of anything Native related.
The silver cufflink are caked with the black crust, wonder if soaking them in lemon juice would help?
Looking forward in looking at your post up soon.

I think a brief electrolysis cook is your best bet for cleaning the cufflink. Here's a few before and after photos of a Liberty Seated dime that was heavily toned. A brief cook took off all the dark, thick toning without any heavy rubbing that would have cause a loss of detail in the coin.

PB170377.JPG
PB170378_01.JPG
PB170393.JPG
PB170398.JPG

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, Congrats... "D"

Thanks for the reply Possum.
Question for you: Which is your go to machine in the stable?

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think a brief electrolysis cook is your best bet for cleaning the cufflink. Here's a few before and after photos of a Liberty Seated dime that was heavily toned. A brief cook took off all the dark, thick toning without any heavy rubbing that would have cause a loss of detail in the coin.

View attachment 1886973
View attachment 1886974
View attachment 1886975
View attachment 1886976

Well didn't that turn out pretty! Still left the toning, which really is top shelve.
So many questions: What's a brief cook-as in time.
Never have done it before-something I should do-no time to do the extra step it seems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread