I'm digging colonial while my roosters crowed.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was 6 months ago when I hit this part of the mill pond, and gave me an awesome lead seal.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/635221-awesome-lead-seal.html
Now today was filled with the usual get the final things put away before winter and the day was getting long. I looked at the time and said to the Mrs I was going below the barn to play for a bit.
Now it was already going on 3pm and it's pretty dusky by 4:30. So off I went, not expecting a whole lot of anything.
The roosters were upset that I walked right by and never opened the gate to take them along, but time was short.(Been detecting buddies all summer)
I dropped down onto the lower trail and over the 35ft steep embankment to the ledge above the creek. Then started to work my way down to the mill pond where I was in June.
Now the undergrowth was just twigs sticking up, I could see the ground and had the Deus set on fast, no disc, sens 95, reactivity on 2. Now I have no problem digging .22cal lead at 6 inches in these soils as they bush loamy, and down by the pond mixed with sand.
Dug a few headstamps, a few small cal. casings and then I got a high 95 and I dug it out, didn't know what I had, but I took a long drink of water and picked it out of the soils. after taking a picture. There it was a sight to be hold my first real Kettle Point.
20201213_174846.jpg 20201213_153246.jpg
Now I have a steel spearhead from out west that I found 50yrs ago, when life was young-so there's been a long dry spell.
I texted my buddy and said I got a keeper!

Now the second find 85 was a cufflink or tie pin, didn't bother really to look as the day was getting on, so I put in my pocket and carried on.
20201213_181429.jpg
20201213_174931.jpg
Next came this iron signal 06 and I thought well dig the little iron as there might be a something old and interesting- yup an iron fishing spear I believe, really rusted up, and will need some TLC.
20201213_174931.jpg

So off again and I got a weakish 65 but it was there so I dig down 6+ inches and popped this little colonial buckle.
20201213_161526.jpg

Now the whole time I can hear my roosters crowing and the light is failing, and guilt is play with my mind.
I know they want a little playtime in the compost, and get in the barn. So I called it a day a little under 1.5hrs of play.
20201213_175928.jpg

Got things washed up, then it just got a whole lot better, the dirt fell away from the cuff link, the black started to turn silver! Say what! there's initials-now I'm glowing this is a great way of ending it for the season if I don't get out again.
20201213_174945.jpg 20201213_174030.jpg
20201213_175003.jpg

Sorry for the long post up-just a tad excited about my little hunt.

Last edited:
Upvote 48

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well didn't that turn out pretty! Still left the toning, which really is top shelve.
So many questions: What's a brief cook-as in time.
Never have done it before-something I should do-no time to do the extra step it seems.

You only have to zap it briefly - 30 seconds to a minute, then remove it from solution and add a small amount of mineral oil. Use Kleenex or a soft rag to wipe away dark toning. Repeat as needed till you are satisfied with result but only zap it briefly as before each time. Good luck.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You only have to zap it briefly - 30 seconds to a minute, then remove it from solution and add a small amount of mineral oil. Use Kleenex or a soft rag to wipe away dark toning. Repeat as needed till you are satisfied with result but only zap it briefly as before each time. Good luck.

Thanks for the information, I'll look forward in doing it over the winter season.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread