Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. Here in NJ we're about to get a lot of snow, and I fear today's hunt could be the last of 2020, so I spent extra time in the field with my son today and made it a good one. We went back to the house where I found the gold ring last week. It's an old house here in town that used to be the carriage house for a local inn.

My son and I didn't find any amazing coins. We did find a Liberty / V Nickel, which is cool because previously we'd found a shield nickel, buffalo nickel and (of course) Jefferson nickels, so now we've found every type of nickel. (Still need a half-dime though...). It's an 1898 and like many it's very badly corroded.
We also found a 2 Franc French coin from 1980, which is cool because it'll go with our other foreign coins found.

But the relics we found were what made the day special. Lots of them, and a large variety.
There are some that I could use your help further identifying - please take a look and help where you can.

1. Possibly the most interesting, we found a copper plate with a crown on it. No other markings. It was pretty deep. I've looked at hundreds and hundreds of crown images online and I think it's the German or Spanish crown, but I'm not sure. I honestly was hoping it was some sort of soldier's belt plate, but I've started to think that's not possible. The crown is held onto the plate with tabs bent through holes - a technique that could have been used at any time, I guess. Anyone have any ideas what this is?

2. The bale seal is the one that got my son the most excited. Once we found it he spent a lot of time researching it (but we didn't learn much). From the braided copper wire we knew it was a bale seal, and probably "newer" (1800's?). But we couldn't find anything about what's written on it. The front seems to say "JAR" as a logo. The back seems to say "TRADE .... REGISTERE... I.S.PAT.OFF" I cannot figure out what the "I.S.PAT" office would be. (yes the first letter is an "I", looked carefully under magnifying glass). Anyone have any ideas on this one?

3. Here's an easy one for someone (but not me). What is that huge buckle? I've looked through hundreds of buckle images, too, and not found one like it. The prong is not too rusty, so I'm thinking it's not that old.

4. This one I did learn about: the L'Ame ladies compact. It's about 100 years old and is "German Silver" (says that on the edge), which I think is like silver plating given the condition. The glass of the mirror is unbroken, which is cool (but the silvering on the back has degraded as you can see).

5. The key is cool It's from Bayer Gardner Himes Company, New York. Apparently they made a lot of household adornments - including doorknobs and locks - starting in 1895 and into the 1900's.

I included a few other pictures for your viewing enjoyment, including everything I dug (good on left paper plate, junk on right paper plate) and a sunset picture with the back of my friend's house in the foreground.
Great sunset, great day, great year of detecting!

- Brian

OpaMfa0.jpg TGc4Hme.jpg

rQjgjyz.jpg iyyByky.jpg
cgzJXi6.jpg

UQGObzl.jpg

bhLRbEm.jpg 2ogFLGT.jpg
hW4iie6.jpg sJxRURJ.jpg

OkagGEL.jpg

Other:
WMhlu4b.jpg FeJU30i.jpg
GpsEQm8.jpg ZMk9ovK.jpg

Upvote 8

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Brian,

Nice set of finds! On the bale seal it looks like I.S. but you can see the right side of the U is simply missing (as far as I can tell)--probably a clogged mold. The buckle with the wings is one I've never seen before. Looks like you had a great day out there with your son. Congrats.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a "stellar day".

Well done.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It all adds up to an interesting array of finds.
The buckle is horse tack-the main girth strap went through the big part, then the smaller straps ran off each side to hold in place (centre)
Art Deco style compact,
Bale seal with the "R" more than likely a railroad company maybe.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s a great hunt

Top Member Reactions