18th century trifecta?

Hunting_Dad

Mar 25, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
I got out Sunday for the first time in months and I am sure glad I did!
In addition to a small handful of relics and clad coins, I managed to pull three old "coins"from the ground too. The first was a pretty smooth KGII, no date. The second was a super crusty larger cent (more on that in a bit). And the third was actually not a coin at all, but a gilded George III Spade Guinea gaming token from the late 1700...nearly had a heart attack when I first saw gold.

The KGII and the token are clearly pre-1800 and I have my suspicions that the large cent is too. I can make out enough of the twig "wreath" on the reverse to know for sure it is a large cent.... the leaves also appear to converge at the top rather than form a continuous circle, but I cant be sure of that. I think I see enough of the head to "call it' but I am not sure if thats not just my brain filling in holes and connection dots..... figured I would see if you all saw anything.

Thanks for looking

KGII
IMG_0051.jpg

Spade Guinea token
IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

Unknown large cent
IMG_0072.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 10

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. What part of the country? I see a seam on your unknown LC and the fact that the edge is crumbling makes me think it's not a coin, but that's just my observation from the pics you provided.

OP
OP
H

Hunting_Dad

Mar 25, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Erik,
Our new england soils can be rough on coins...
Despite my inability to capture it in a photo, the twig wreath on the reverse is clear with indirect lighting. It also has a pronounced rim and the correct diameter/weight. That imperfection caught my eye as well and I would not rule out a counterfeit.

OP
OP
H

Hunting_Dad

Mar 25, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
I jumped over to my phone to grab a pic of the reverse... not a great pic, it is clearer to the naked eye but i think you can see the wreath
311C410E-ED78-4C46-8DDD-7B3BE948205E.jpeg

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, Congrats!!! "D"

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi - I'm in NJ and our soil can be horrendous on coins, but copper coins don't crumble like that. Hard to see the wreath in your pic, but since you say it's there, there's a seam on the back, and it's cratered and crumbling, I'd say it's def a contemporary lead alloy counterfeit, which in my opinion is much better than a dug large cent. Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting