There are no coincidences

Royn2751

Jan 14, 2017
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My head was ready to explode after the last 3 days of non stop politics. I put on The Hoover Boys latest video to give myself a break. When Kurt dug the NJ copper I thought about all the holes I've dug over the last 30 years and despite myriad good finds, state coppers have eluded me.
Today was a beautiful sunny NJ day that the weather forcast promised to reach 40.
Figured that a couple of hours digging would be just what I needed to adjust my attitude.
I drove to my nearest permission hoping for anything at all.
The first signal was an 80's Lincoln. Several square nails followed. A sketchy 20-21 on the equinox produced a beautiful flower engraved button with a "RICH ORANGE " backmark and intact shank. A couple of aluminum scraps and modern nails followed. I got a solid hit with an iron grunt. Almost didn't commit to digging it. Pinpointed a 1 inch piece of square nail and had another signal in the hole. 7-8" down out popped a copper. Kurt's mantra "Be something good " ran through my mind as I began rubbing. There was the shield, there was the plow, holy crap, a NJ copper.
The universe certainly behaves in mysterious ways.
Thank you Kurt and THB for planting that seed. View attachment 1891974 View attachment 1891975 View attachment 1891976 20210107_143414.jpg 20210107_143500.jpg 20210107_143515.jpg

Upvote 46

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's one thing that one can get mental health from, and that's a good hunt.
Congrats on the copper and the button.

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's awesome! And, a great story. I've only recently discovered the Hoover Boys and have enjoyed going back through the years of episodes.

A few weeks ago mbcuce and I pulled up to a permission and he said "I've still never found a coin from the 1600's. I've got to find one." The last hole he dug was a William III farthing. The difference is that I think he's been saying that on every trip for the last year and a half.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a Sweet Copper!!! Nice story to go with it too!!!

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice! Congrats!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Finds, great story, great....been grating on my mind, why we don't have a State Copper..., all we have is a State TAX...!

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent finds - congrats !

I've probably watched at least 250 of Kurt's video' over the years.
The Hoover Boy's make some of fantastic finds and their 300 plus video's are very well done !
They do so well with the Garrett AT Pro's that the company put a photo of them on the AT Max boxes when they came out.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great find and good story, congrats

vp

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the State copper and buttons! :icon_thumleft:

RussM

Oct 2, 2019
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very very nice... congratulations!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first State Copper! I have been cataloging ground found NJ coppers since 2004 and have written two articles on the results so far and later this year a 3rd article will be forthcoming. I would like to add your NJ to the survey, but I need to see both sides of the coin since than I most likely will get a variety ID on it, (there are approx. 144 varieties). Also the survey shows the circulation patterns of the NJ copper by STATE and COUNTY, so please provide that information for the survey. You can either post it here or use the message system, but the photograph most likely has to be posted on this thread. There are over 1300 NJ coppers in my survey. Thanks
Looking at the reverse I can only roughly narrow down the variety, I think it might be one of the varieties for the year 1786, so if that date shows, all the better. :)

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent finds - congrats !

I've probably watched at least 250 of Kurt's video' over the years.
The Hoover Boy's make some of fantastic finds and their 300 plus video's are very well done !
They do so well with the Garrett AT Pro's that the company put a photo of them on the AT Max boxes when they came out.

Kurt has poured 5 years of his life into it, still going strong. I couldn't do it...
I landed on the Max box for about 3 weeks before my demotion. LOL

Thank you for caring. :occasion14:

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last weeks have been hard on us patriots. Metal detecting is great therapy, did some myself in a half frozen field in Nebraska 2 days ago. Still lots of fun. Good find !

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is that thing called luck though! Nice finds!

OP
OP
Royn2751

Royn2751

Jan 14, 2017
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first State Copper! I have been cataloging ground found NJ coppers since 2004 and have written two articles on the results so far and later this year a 3rd article will be forthcoming. I would like to add your NJ to the survey, but I need to see both sides of the coin since than I most likely will get a variety ID on it, (there are approx. 144 varieties). Also the survey shows the circulation patterns of the NJ copper by STATE and COUNTY, so please provide that information for the survey. You can either post it here or use the message system, but the photograph most likely has to be posted on this thread. There are over 1300 NJ coppers in my survey. Thanks
Looking at the reverse I can only roughly narrow down the variety, I think it might be one of the varieties for the year 1786, so if that date shows, all the better. :)
Hi Don,
Found in Warren County NJ. Here are the best pic's I could take. I'd be thrilled if you could identify specific variety. There is no visible date. 20210108_092550.jpg 20210108_092603.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread