1st REAL find/ Military button?

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all,

I've found plenty with the naked eye, but this is MY very 1st metal detecting find that isn't a pull tab or junk.

I am guessing Navy button? Found where a town existed in the 1890's (Per the County Map) and is now a park. I believe this more than likely to be from one of the homesteads there, however, I do know that many 2nd Seminole War troops either walked right through this general area via a Military trail and/or doing recon.

No War between the States battles took place in this area, only perhaps a few troops crossing from one area to another on a rare occasion if that.

I found a bunch similar looking ones online, but nothing is a 100% match. Thanks for any info! 4-6 inches deep. Used a Nokta Simplex + and Dr. Otek pinpointer MT6.

View attachment 1892419 View attachment 1892423

Last edited:
Upvote 15

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!! Congrats!!!

Cantstopdigging

Sep 9, 2016
NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Could you carefully clean the back and see if you can read the markings on it? Maybe use a wooden toothpick and lightly scraper away at it.

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A better picture of the back would be helpful. If the back is iron, it's most likely not military.

OP
OP
E

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
A better picture of the back would be helpful. If the back is iron, it's most likely not military.

Cleaned it up with water and a soft tooth brush as didn't want to do any damage. The front came out great, the back is just "caked" in whatever. Multiple online searches only come close in the 1830's to 1850's era as far as the anchor and the "rope" wrapped around design, the Eagle and wings just don't match up yet. Very intriguing View attachment 1892578 View attachment 1892579

Last edited:

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just going off looks, I don't think it's earlier than 1900. don't think it's military either.

OP
OP
E

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Just going off looks, I don't think it's earlier than 1900. don't think it's military either.

Ok, thank you all for the responses. The reason I think Military is the anchor part look very close to me as the one I found (and found an image that was almost identical somewhere from 1840ish era) and this one on ebay for example is kinda close (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pre-Civil-W...551645?hash=item263981981d:g:gcQAAOSwgOpeo6bC ) , but the eagle (wings etc) are slightly off. How many freaking designs did the Navy do!!?? lol.

Either way, what would your thought be on what it may be then? No question this is an 1890's town site and found a bar brooch in the same vicinity etc, so old homestead find of something.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out this post, someone posted a picture of navy vs non navy anchor buttons that you may find helpful.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/71815-cw-navy-button-mystery-solved-thanks-ivan.html

You can kind of tell stylistically that it may just be a more modern civilian button (especially considering it has what looks like an iron back).

I could very well be wrong. Still an interesting find!!
I agree, it has all the signs of being a 20th C blazer/fashion button & no good signs of being Military.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first non-surface/non-trash metal detecting find.

OP
OP
E

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, it has all the signs of being a 20th C blazer/fashion button & no good signs of being Military.

Ok interesting and thanks all for the responses. So, how late were these made for Civilian use. If 1920's or earlier, I am pleased as this is an old town site and found a bar brooch from Victorian era -1910's in same area too. Thanks for any info!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok interesting and thanks all for the responses. So, how late were these made for Civilian use. If 1920's or earlier, I am pleased as this is an old town site and found a bar brooch from Victorian era -1910's in same area too. Thanks for any info!
1920s probably isn't far off. Pretty tricky to pin down without a makers mark. So many variants of the anchor motif on fashion buttons, but its the steelback that help narrow it to post-1900.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread