Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Such a shame so disappointed this place is so hard to hunt you can hunt for hours and not get nothing or you can hunt for hours and get one thing that something but it’s very rare I ever get two things and this was no exception. I got a button at the last minute I had already said this will be my last hole and throughout all of that on your nails I saw some roundness unfortunately This crud on this one and I’ve been pretty lucky to have gotten some beautiful buttons out of there but this one I don’t know if anybody has any suggestions please let me know

Attachments

• IMG_1079.jpg
    IMG_1079.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1077.jpg
    IMG_1077.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1078.jpg
    IMG_1078.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 75
Upvote 13

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice mystery button. Maybe an olive oil or mineral oil soak.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not use a liquid on it. Get some of the Andre's pencils and mechanically clean it. You can also use toothpicks but they will take forever.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do not use a liquid on it. Get some of the Andre's pencils and mechanically clean it. You can also use toothpicks but they will take forever.

I had it soaking in liquid soap and water I took a toothpick to it but it’s pretty crusty and under the microscope I can’t see any little trace of something but I won’t quit trying

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Will the oil disintegrate or discolor the button? I have a wheat and an indian in mineral oil to get crud off but nothing happening after a week.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found the hard way weak acids like lemon juice can ruin a button, and oils will discolor them. Aquachigger has a great video on mechanical cleaning if you want to check it out.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
still finding stuff at the fort - that's awesome Truth!!

vp

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
still finding stuff at the fort - that's awesome Truth!!

vp

Man vpone I trying to save as much history as I can from that old Fort. I was told by passerby’d nothing left between from the archaeologist and detectorist from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. Man I’m glad I was to dumb to listen lol but I will say it does not give up anything easy it’s the hardest play some have a detected and a lot of times she’ll give up nothing. She definitely makes you work for it I’ll give her that. We have a dysfunctional relationships can tell you that but I do love her. I’m nuts lol

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well guys I did as much as I can do with this button if I let my omit imagination go wild it has US on it and no back marks. Oh well I’ll be go back tomorrow image-2021-01-11-15:39:32-717.jpg
image-2021-01-11-15:39:51-272.jpg

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool find, yeah, NEVER listen to people that say a place has been "detected out" etc. With that said, keep in mind some very important things a metal detector won't find. I walked right up on a 2nd Seminole war intact pipe bowl and top of a wine or whiskey bottle during low water. The metal detector professionals found nails.....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No such thing as hunted out. It looks like a War of 1812 US button. Get a set of the Andre's pencils. It will take the work out of cleaning it.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No such thing as hunted out. It looks like a War of 1812 US button. Get a set of the Andre's pencils. It will take the work out of cleaning it.

Wow smoky I was waiting to hear your opinion you just made my night I’m going to order those pencils I already found them on Amazon I appreciate you always giving me straight advice thank you

Last edited:

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
You for sure are working it hard, good job. Any button is neat but those US ones make me glow, way over here

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions