Detecting in Snow and Cold Weather Finds

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been out detecting continuously during the past weeks but not posting finds as I am waiting to find something remarkable. We don't have snow now but temps are hovering around freezing. During the last snowstorm I was out detecting for several days in 1" - 3" snow without problems. Since I detect forest floors in search of colonials the leaf barrier has kept the ground from freezing. I simply kick the snow aside and dig. I've certainly found my share of nails and spikes, horseshoes, eating utensils, broken tools, plow pieces, kettle frags, bullets and the like. Only this small collection of buttons including the R&W Robinson two-piece today which dates between 1834 - 1848. I prize these buttons because they offer some of the few diagnostics providing date ranges in the absence of coins. It feels good knowing they were there it gives me continued hope. I also found a small lead net sinker as i am close to the ocean and the matching decorative pieces which could be horse tack.

The woods are beautiful this time of year and I want to be out in them anyway. Despite hunting a sparse population of agrarian settlers who didn't possess much material culture to lose I'm out there swinging.

tres188.jpg tres189.jpg tres190.jpg tres191.jpg

Upvote 7

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice collection of finds!
It is so rewarding to hunt in the snow and cold and still have a decent hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions