First find, New England Axe Head.

abagofchip

Jan 14, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this axe head playing disc golf in South Kingstown, RI. I would love to know more about it and learn how to restore it. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated. Axe head.jpg Top view.jpg

Upvote 12

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found lots of axeheads and this one is different than any of them. It has an unusually large poll (the part opposite the blade) and an unusually thin blade. It appears to be forged out of a single piece of steel, not made by wrapping around an anvil and hammer welding the blade on as was done on early, handmade axes. Neat find and I hope someone will recognize it.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this axe head playing disc golf in South Kingstown, RI. I would love to know more about it and learn how to restore it. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated. View attachment 1893681 View attachment 1893682

That’s an interesting axe head! I haven’t found one like that either! Electrolysis is helpful to get to the bare metal...For iron pieces I care about, I then boil the salt out, then bake it, then apply a wax coat (like renaissance wax) or I have also used spray lacquer...but I am not an expert... Nice find! Disc golf sounds like a good Covid activity!Have fun!!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice axe find and Welcome To TNet! :hello:

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I think you have there is an early 1800's axe. The blade part looks to be a separate piece from the back. In the old days good Steel was expensive and they would use it for the cutting edge and have Iron for the rest. I have a meat cleaver made that way with a still blade edge adn the rest is wrought iron. Neat find!!!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats! Welcome.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes welcome - and congrats on an interesting find

vp

OP
OP
A

abagofchip

Jan 14, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s an interesting axe head! I haven’t found one like that either! Electrolysis is helpful to get to the bare metal...For iron pieces I care about, I then boil the salt out, then bake it, then apply a wax coat (like renaissance wax) or I have also used spray lacquer...but I am not an expert... Nice find! Disc golf sounds like a good Covid activity!Have fun!!

Thanks for your words! I have it in a rust remover solution right now. I'm going to wait a few days (up to a week) and then, if necessary, try electrolysis, but I don't have a setup. Disc golf is the greatest thing ever and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. Its fun, cheap, and easy! Cheers friend!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions