Sewage Site - Day 14 + Potato Field Day 7 - Flint Arrow-Head...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather was mild & although some areas of the fields were swamped there was enough dry areas for us to grid.
We stuck to the usual routine gridding 3 hours on The Potato Field & 2 hours on the Sewage Site.
No silver today but I'm happy enough with our below average hunt.

Sewage Site:
Medieval Coin Weight
Broken Tudor Button
1/2 17th C Spur Buckle
Broken Saxon/Viking Horse Harness Strap Junction - A rare find & our first Saxon item off this field, ever...

Potato Field:
18th C Sword Belt Fitment
Lead Cloth Seal
Saxon Strap-end
Lead Token
Neolithic? Flint Arrow-Head - Only my 3rd ever, the rain has helped in spotting these.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 43
Upvote 24

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds as always Cru. Any info on the point? Like do you know what culture it would be from or how old it is?

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the stone age artifact. I'm surprised you don't find more of them considering how much time you spend in plowed fields.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great stuff!!

vp

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds as always Cru. Any info on the point? Like do you know what culture it would be from or how old it is?
I think it's late Neolithic, circa 3000BC. But I'm not 100%

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the stone age artifact. I'm surprised you don't find more of them considering how much time you spend in plowed fields.
They are super rare over here, we get lots of scrappers but arrow-heads don't turn up that often. The PAS only has about 2000 recorded for the whole of the UK, most of which are barbed or leaf shaped.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are super rare over here, we get lots of scrappers but arrow-heads don't turn up that often. The PAS only has about 2000 recorded for the whole of the UK, most of which are barbed or leaf shaped.
Seems kinda odd that they are so rare considering other evidence (i.e. Stonehenge) that the British Isles had significant populations during that period.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems kinda odd that they are so rare considering other evidence (i.e. Stonehenge) that the British Isles had significant populations during that period.
Just the way it is. Must be a few out there, just not many found.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not really. Neolithic culture was the first farming culture here. With farming of the land the period of the travelling hunters came to an end. Same here. We have collectors walking the fields for artefacts and never found a neolithic point. They are so rare!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's late Neolithic, circa 3000BC. But I'm not 100%

Exactly my thought. Give or take 500 years. The shape and both sides retouched clearly show the very well developed work you can find on late neolithic artefacts.
For me, knowing the rarity of a neolithic point, it's absolutely banner worth. Luckily it broke off the shaft at the small extension it had and not in the middle of the point.
You're a lucky dog.... :notworthy:

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you found a rare find with the arrowhead Cru'

Your hunt may not have produced any silver but I would be quite happy with a neolithic arrowhead not to mention a Saxon strapend....I imagine things Saxon are harder to find then the roman..

Congratulations!:occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We take the same curving route across the field to the start point & the same route off the field, so that our OTWBTTC is more of a grid approach. This Arrow Head was found right at the beginning of the hunt as I walked into the field, so my first find, it was very welcome & it's actually our 2nd from this field:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...hammered-neolithic-arrowhead-gold-stater.html
I've also never seen so many flints on 1 field other than 1 other by the river. It must have been a special place during that period.
I will be paying special attention on this field for any others, because having 2 out of 3 of my arrow heads from 1 field must mean there is a chance of more....

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you found a rare find with the arrowhead Cru'

Your hunt may not have produced any silver but I would be quite happy with a neolithic arrowhead not to mention a Saxon strapend....I imagine things Saxon are harder to find then the roman..

Congratulations!:occasion14:
Roughly we get about 200 Roman artefacts to about 25 Saxon every year, so yes a big difference.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the point a rarer find indeed. Like you stated that there's lots of scrapers but very few points.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Love the Arrow head..

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Cru, I think that point is about the coolest thing I've seen you post. Do you have any idea of where the stone for the point came from? I spoke to a guy doing a dig in South Dakota and they were getting stone from several hundred miles away. The Native American's traded for "good" flint, chert or whatever. Good luck.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER For me I truly enjoy seeing the history that you uncover,,perhaps you should be on the Hist,,,channel with a documentary one day I hope

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread