North or West Shropshire Local Militia Button found in Savannah, GA- RARE!!!

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When in dug this pewter button a few days ago, I had no idea that it had any military history. It looked like the typical civilian old blank or flower button that we dig at colonial sites. Not thinking that I had anything special, I put off cleaning my finds until the next day. After a little cleaning of this button, I thought that I could see some kind of design coming through on the front. However, I think that I can see some kind of design on almost every old pewter button that I find. Almost always I'm disappointed to find its not a military button. Any many of you out there that have dug old colonial pewter buttons know what I'm talking about. So many of the awesome Revolutionary War buttons are pewter. Anyway, here are some pictures of the progression of cleaning this button:

2021-01-21 21.36.14.jpg

At this point I thought that I saw an "M" and text this pic to a few friends to verify that they also saw something. They all confirmed, but couldn't tell what it was. So more cleaning:

2021-01-21 22.08.12.jpg 2021-01-21 22.08.48.jpg

I could definitely see an "M", but I was curious so I continued to clean off the cemented on sand/dirt:

2021-01-22 09.54.30.jpg

At this point I could see the "SHIRE" at the bottom and knew that it was some kind of British Military button. So the site that this button came from had recently produced a handful of War of 1812 Buttons for myself and a few others, and a Rev War pewter Royal Provincials button as well. This button had the Rev War period look to it in both my opinion and some of my local friends who I would consider button experts. So I posted it on the Facebook Page Revolutionary War Buttons, Plates and Accounterments and continued to clean it more:

2021-01-22 12.02.40.jpg 2021-01-22 12.02.49.jpg 2021-01-22 12.02.58.jpg

At this point I could see that the button had a crown on top, an "L" over an "M" and said "SHROP.SHIRE" at the bottom. A Google search revealed a webpage dedicated to Shropshire Local Militia:
[video]https://thisreilluminatedschoolofmars.wordpress.com/notes-on-the-dress-of-the-local-militia/local-militia-shropshire/?fbclid=IwAR159InRlJegMqLk4XQLwQb2oOlIr7yxa-dq-QHsMqztAW0sbNnCqSrtS_w[/video]

So I knew that the button was a Shropshire Local Militia button made no earlier than 1809. One of my friends posted a pic of the button on the Facebook page British Volunteer and Militia Buttons and got a confirmed identification from of few of the experts that research the militia buttons in England. It turns out that this button is a North or West Shropshire Local Militia Button and is the only known example! The author the webpage mentioned above contacted me and included a picture and write up on this page, which helps to document and confirm some previously missing history in England. So this button was actually dropped by a British Royal Marine that was involved in the occupation of Cumberland Island in 1815 (War of 1812). The Royal Marines recruited volunteers from local militias in Shropshire England and the soldiers would travel to war with their old uniforms. This is how it ended up in Savannah, GA. You can check out the post on Facebook to read more- [video]https://www.facebook.com/groups/117082335639412/[/video]

So here are more pictures of the button:

2021-01-22 12.03.57.jpg 2021-01-22 12.54.44.jpg 2021-01-22 12.56.18.jpg

I will post a video of this find on my YouTube channel in a few weeks.

Upvote 30

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice my friend!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the button.

Your second link is:
Only members can see who's in the group and what they post.

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's awesome! I love the progression of photos. I know someone (@mbcuce) who sees military designs in every pewter button he digs.

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I meant to ask... How do you clean your pewter buttons? That turned out well.

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most of the time with just dry toothbrush and then 1/2 elmers glue and 1/2 water, a couple coats, but this button had crusted sand/dirt so I used ammonia on a que tip, rinsed with water, coated with baking soda and rinsed again- let dry- sealed the edges with elmers glue- then used one of the andres pencils and gently rubbed the crust little by little. Lastly coated 3 coats of elmers/water to preserve and seal.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not aware of them using the term 'Local' Militia on these, more likely 'Light' or Loyal' Militia. They did merge later to become the 'Light' Infantry.

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
most of the time with just dry toothbrush and then 1/2 elmers glue and 1/2 water, a couple coats, but this button had crusted sand/dirt so I used ammonia on a que tip, rinsed with water, coated with baking soda and rinsed again- let dry- sealed the edges with elmers glue- then used one of the andres pencils and gently rubbed the crust little by little. Lastly coated 3 coats of elmers/water to preserve and seal.

Thanks! I'm glad I asked. I know someone, who is getting ready to tackle this exact situation and I will share this.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find and research!

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think we can be absolutely sure what the ‘L’ was intended to stand for, but certainly the term “Local Militia” was in formal use in these times.

Here’s a button for the Northamptonshire (West) c1806-1816, which reads (from 6 o’clock) “W. NORTHAMPTONSHIRE LOCAL MILITIA” in full rather than as abbreviations.

Northamptonshire.jpg

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think we can be absolutely sure what the ‘L’ was intended to stand for, but certainly the term “Local Militia” was in formal use in these times.

Here’s a button for the Northamptonshire (West) c1806-1816, which reads (from 6 o’clock) “W. NORTHAMPTONSHIRE LOCAL MILITIA” in full rather than as abbreviations.

View attachment 1897346
Stand corrected, thats what I like about this site. Still learning everyday. Your right we have so few contemporary sources about these small units, we may never know, but at least now its a real possibility. Not a term I've seen before, & I've paid a fair amount of attention to them.:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread