cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More beach results after a storm and some major wind (at least for us!) This section of beach hasn't been good for some time, but, there's been some erosion lately that brought some older targets within reach of my Equinox 800. The ring looked like junk when I first found it, but, after soaking it overnight, I could see the Sterling mark inside the band. It's also been a while since I found a walking half. It was just a blob when found too and wasn't until later that I was reasonably sure it was a walker. The earring bob is silver too along with a turquoise inlay. The big token is more modern. From the aircraft carrier Midway which is currently a museum in San Diego harbor. The other side has an F-18 Hornet on it. Not shown is the $8.90 in change, 3 keys, a spoon, a button, a 1945 wheat cent, and the junk.

Attachments

• jan262021.jpg
    jan262021.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 35

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be cool to see the before cleaning and after pics. Looks like your finds cleaned up pretty good.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. That half looks great, especially for a beach find (I assume saltwater). Congrats!

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be cool to see the before cleaning and after pics. Looks like your finds cleaned up pretty good.

Yes, I keep forgetting to do a before and after photo. I'll try to remember to do it next time. The ocean can be pretty hard on some metals.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super finds - Congratulations!:headbang:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I keep forgetting to do a before and after photo. I'll try to remember to do it next time. The ocean can be pretty hard on some metals.

Any cleaning tips for your saltwater coin finds? I have some dark silver coin finds, which I would like to lighten a bit. That half really looks great.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice vintage silver finds Mark, good for noticing the area of erosion. :thumbsup:
The ring and earring definitely have some age to them.

Dave

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice hunt, i really like the ring. Finding a walker is always sweet.

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds , and thanks again for picking me up hunting with you

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG very nice congratulations

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was watching Golf today from Torrey pines and they showed Blacks beach, have you ever detected there? It would seem with some people removing all their clothes they might forget to put some jewelry back on or have their pockets dumping out change.

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was watching Golf today from Torrey pines and they showed Blacks beach, have you ever detected there? It would seem with some people removing all their clothes they might forget to put some jewelry back on or have their pockets dumping out change.

Yes, I hunt it occasionally. It's not an easy beach to access....at least with my old body! That 300 foot climb up the cliff is a killer to me. It's either that or walking south from Torrey Pines State beach (about a 2 mile walk), or walking north from La Jolla about the same distance (and having to time it with a lower tide to get around the point)

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any cleaning tips for your saltwater coin finds? I have some dark silver coin finds, which I would like to lighten a bit. That half really looks great.

The half was heavily corroded, so it has quite a bit of pitting. Same with other silver items that have been buried in the sand for decades. If I find silver with just a little tarnish, I use some jewelry cleaner, like Ezest/Jewel Luster. Heavy corrosion, I soak them in the bottom end of an empty aluminum can filled with vinegar. Depending on the degree of corrosion, I'll soak them from 2 to 10 hours, then rub them with baking soda before rinsing them off. Repeat as necessary. Keep in mind that you might not want to do that with a rare date coin or valuable find that might lose value by cleaning. Vinegar is a mild acid, so some metal is removed by this procedure and some detail will be lost. I'd recommend you practice with a low value Roosevelt dime before doing it to anything with more value. Modern clad just gets tossed into the rock tumbler to make it usable enough to put through the CoinStar.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, killer day right there, love that ring!!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great hunt and cool finds, thanks for posting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions