Ever find a weapon?

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1613093697.279166.jpg

I have found toy guns but this was a bit different. It looks like it has been in the ground a while. Odd....broken....I turned it in to the police.

Besides, that...lots of can pieces and a few coins...

Upvote 26
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've found 6 civil war bayonets , a civil war sword , iron knuckles , lots of gun parts , cannon parts . View attachment 1901771

Well, ticndig, a civil war sword and several CW bayonets finds sounds exciting. It’s good that the areas you’ve hunted are just historical battle places and not real life battle scenes while you are “hunting”. Congrats!

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes I have found several. I detected for some of the local Police Departments before they had their own detectors.

Pretty interesting connection with PD, Tony in SC! They must have had an idea where to look? Generally, what kinds of places were your finds made? (if you are at liberty to share).

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, I've never found any real Guns, Swords, etc. - just a bunch of Toy Cap Pistols, a few .55 Cal Machine Gun shells and a reproduction of a Nazi Dagger still in the Sheath.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as seen in the picture, on the right hand side of the frame just above the front part of the trigger guard, the 'firing instructions' are cast into the frame. This is not a real bullet firing firearm. It is a Daisy Powerline Model 617x BB pistol that uses a CO2 cartridge. Supposed to be a BB firing replica of a Beretta Model 92

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No, I've never found any real Guns, Swords, etc. - just a bunch of Toy Cap Pistols, a few .55 Cal Machine Gun shells and a reproduction of a Nazi Dagger still in the Sheath.

I bet the replica was an eye opener....machine gun shells???? That’s a surprise!

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
as seen in the picture, on the right hand side of the frame just above the front part of the trigger guard, the 'firing instructions' are cast into the frame. This is not a real bullet firing firearm. It is a Daisy Powerline Model 617x BB pistol that uses a CO2 cartridge. Supposed to be a BB firing replica of a Beretta Model 92

Thanks, jewelerguy! That is great information. I wondered why directions were on the gun and noticed it was made in Taiwan. I really appreciate the details. BB guns did come up in my search for similar looking guns but no specific models. As an aside....do you have any recommendations to clean a tungsten ring? I see an inscription inside but it is hard to read. I tried dish soap but it’s still very gray. Thanks...hoping to dind a date or initials to try to return!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, jewelerguy! That is great information. I wondered why directions were on the gun and noticed it was made in Taiwan. I really appreciate the details. BB guns did come up in my search for similar looking guns but no specific models. As an aside....do you have any recommendations to clean a tungsten ring? I see an inscription inside but it is hard to read. I tried dish soap but it’s still very gray. Thanks...hoping to dind a date or initials to try to return!

Sorry, I have no advice for a tungsten ring. We do not work on them at my shop. Any engraving in one is most likely done by a laser, so likely not etched very deep.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry, I have no advice for a tungsten ring. We do not work on them at my shop. Any engraving in one is most likely done by a laser, so likely not etched very deep.

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
I remember a post here from years ago where someone pulled up a few machine guns from a stream. I don't have the time to look for the post atm but perhaps someone else here could find it

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I helped locate ordnance on several occasions / locations.

You guys would trip out on the crapola that surfaced from a closed WW2 army camp / range.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only gun I ever found was a late 1700's or early 1800's flintlock plate. Found it in Foster, RI in 2018. Also found the ramrod, but never found the barrel of the gun...

DSC08398.JPG photo (2).jpeg

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ewww brass knuckles? That’s interesting. Did you try them on?
Yes, I did try them on, and they do fit. I just prefer to carry my semi - auto when detecting in real big parks that can have some issues ! Brass knuckles were a big "gang" item in the 70's, and early 80's. Now they usually carry guns, so the knuckles are a little outdated and way less effective, compared to todays weapons of choice.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure have!

A M1767 French sword
a Napoleonic era French briquette c.1800
Eagle pommel from an 1840s German-made officers sword
Several brass pocket derringers over the years–Liege gunworks and HERO MFG CO
and lock plates from muskets,
all the brass parts from a CW Enfield,
multiple double barrel shotgun breechblocks
several pairs of lead knuckles,
a civil war single barrel (likely CS) shotgun
An Alan & Thurber pepperbox pistol 1830s
And this past week I dug an Otis A Smith rimfire .36 cal pistol 1870s

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Years ago while relic hunting in Atlanta we found a hill that was the site of a small Pickett camp. We found an array of musket parts in the area directly behind this hill which led us to believe that either muskets were being repaired here or captured weapons were being destroyed in this area.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoops linked to incorrect quote will update to correct quote

Last edited:

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember a post here from years ago where someone pulled up a few machine guns from a stream. I don't have the time to look for the post atm but perhaps someone else here could find it

I can’t recall many specifics but maybe 10 years ago a bunch were found in a stream that was at the Georgia / Alabama line on interstate 20. Looked like they had been tossed off the bridge the opinion was most were WW2 vintage. Wish I had kept the link to the story

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was several years ago and it was always interesting! I found that most of the time detecting for the police was like trying to find an 80yr old Grandma's pinky ring that she lost when she was 15 "It ain't where she thinks she lost it"!! The best hunt that I had with the police involved the theft of $20,000 worth of catalytic converters from a local Chevy dealership. The officers had me look all around the lot, and found nothing. I noticed a small pine thicket next door. After a few minutes I got a blast from a pile of leaves and pine straw!! It was Coors and beanie weenie cans. Also 8 used and broken sawzall blades BINGO!! They had camped there the past weekend. Police got a fingerprint of a guy in NC. Found out he was part of a ring stealing converters in several states.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That’s crazy!

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sure have!

A M1767 French sword
a Napoleonic era French briquette c.1800
Eagle pommel from an 1840s German-made officers sword
Several brass pocket derringers over the years–Liege gunworks and HERO MFG CO
and lock plates from muskets,
all the brass parts from a CW Enfield,
multiple double barrel shotgun breechblocks
several pairs of lead knuckles,
a civil war single barrel (likely CS) shotgun
An Alan & Thurber pepperbox pistol 1830s
And this past week I dug an Otis A Smith rimfire .36 cal pistol 1870s

BuckleBoy that is just a LOT of detecting finds. I know you can’t be 100 but I guess you have some experience under your belt! Congrats on all those finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread