Finally after 45 years of digging big silver bucket lister

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an outing in Phoenix and what started as a mediocre day turned into a bucket lister find. Two tokens, a common car wash token and an Alabama luxury tax token circa 1930's, four Wheat pennies, a marble, a piece of jewelry shaped like a flower bud, a souvenir penny from Sedona, and an 1889 o Morgan silver dollar about 9 or 10 inches deep. Pictures of before and after cleaning. The before pictures show it cleaned with soap and water. No effect at all because the soil here destroys silver. Very happy with this bucket lister. The scratch on the face was not from me but was probably like that when it was lost. A beautiful day to be out in Arizona. Thanks for looking and good luck out there. IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0006.JPG

Upvote 84

azdave

Dec 12, 2014
southern AZ
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds and congrats on the Morgan!
I hit on 4 Morgan's out of the same hole a few months ago near an old mining camp. I will say that the affects of our ground varies considerably in AZ base on mineralization. Mine were in absolutely beautiful condition except a bit of discoloration on the back of one, but no corrosion. Yet, the same coins in the ground in the next canyon over might be ate up.

The real beauty to "most" of AZ is our lack of moisture in the ground... especially if you like relics. Our finds look come out of the ground alot better overall than most states.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was your first thought when you realized what it was? It is INCONCEIVABLE that someone would lose one and not know it. For anyone that hasn’t physically handled one....they are STUPIDLY big and heavy! It’s great you were able to finally put the check mark in the box, it’s an awesome coin just as it is! Congratulations!!!

I was thinking a beer or soda can the way it was coming up. I almost gave up at 6 or 7 inches but thought after all the hard digging out here I want to see what it is.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how people lost a big chunk of silver like that, but I sure am glad you found it!!! Congratulations I hope it's not your last.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that big old hunk of silver and your bucket lister. I found my one and only a 1900 O 3 years ago. She also has a scar from the corner of her mouth to the edge of her jaw bone but I did that while digging her.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats. a morgan has been on my digging wish list ever since I started 46 years ago

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shame on the guy who scratched the dollar before you found it...
Congratulations on your bucket list find!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
45 years? So there's hope for me and my 30 after all! That is an amazing achievement and BIG CONGRATS for knocking that one off the bucket list :icon_thumleft:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, your persistence paid off big time. I've always felt the Morgan design is one of the prettiest ever made.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your bucket lister Johncoho. Morgan's are a great coin. I've been lucky enough to have dug 3 of them, 2 in the same field about 5 minutes apart. Hunting for over 30 years now, so that's an average of one every 10 years. I'm gonna be due for one in a few more years !

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats John! Definitely a bucket lister. I’m still searching for my first. I tried detecting yesterday at an old site, but with 10” of snow, I was thinking that the only target that would beep would need to be a silver dollar.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dig silver dollars in Ohio where there was no fertilizer used,they come up clean. Even copper does.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on HUGE Silver!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow!! That thing has been in the ground for a long time!! Congrats, still on my list

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dig silver dollars in Ohio where there was no fertilizer used,they come up clean. Even copper does.

Arizona soil is hard on any coins. Any silver comes out with a grey crust.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread