Dagurreotype/Ambrotype Picture Frame and Other Goodies Found at 1850s Mansion!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello everyone, I had a chance to get out detecting for a few hours today with my fiance (shrc_chick86) at an 1850s mansion that had just been demolished. Within the first 10 minutes I got a very strong 1c/10c signal near the walkway leading up to where the house once stood. I dug down and hit glass and I didn't think much of it. I kept digging and out popped this very nice looking picture frame for a daguerrotype or ambrotype picture. I also found a strange looking piece of brass with "Spear & Jackson, Sheffield" and a crown on top of a flower with "SJ". After we were done at the 1850s mansion, we headed to another site I knew about but have never had a chance to explore. The very first thing that I found was this "double D" style buckle followed my the old bell and then the "ICE COLD" tag. The bell appears to be much older than anything else that I have found recently, does anyone have any info on this type of bell? Please let me know what you think. Thanks and HH!

Fox

Attachments

• finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 731
  • bell2.jpg
    bell2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 692
  • bell1.jpg
    bell1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 693
Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a weird feeling on that mansion...you need to go back there and re check it... nice finds too by the way

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a crotal bell. I am unfamiliar with the potential date of this bell but I know it is old and a great find. I haven't been able to find an intact one yet. Just a beat up one.. :D My guess for a date is mid-1800's.

DCMDer

Oct 2, 2007
Washington DC
Nice recoveries. Spear & Jackson is tool making company from Sheffield, England. They've been around since the 1830s. I found the same brass medallion a few months ago.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Beautiful bell. That is at the top of my "to find" list. Looks like a great spot.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love those bells....
I have found them in sizes from the one you have up to one almost the size of a softball!!!
I would definately keep working those sites!!!Those are great finds and im sure there are plenty more there.

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bootybay said:
I got a weird feeling on that mansion...you need to go back there and re check it... nice finds too by the way

I will definately be going back to the mansion site. There was a lot of modern junk up there, but I am interested in what is beneith it. There are several out-buildings that were also recently torn down that need to check out.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Take care and HH!

Fox

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Dagurreotype/Ambrotype Picture Frame and Other Goodies Found at 1850s Mansio

The bell is definitely cool, but the picture frame got my attention. I would love to see it restored and put to use,... What a great place to hunt, I can't wait to see what else you dig up!

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Sleigh Bell
Very nice finds and congrats.
Here's a pic:
New%2520bell.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread