Seated Silvers, a PISTOL and a Rare Railroad Lock!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Posting the results of the first couple hunts of 2021 now that I have a chance to catch up due to the SNOW here in Louisiana!!

2021 started with a visit from my old friend Kindafoundabuckle from KY. He got me back into the hobby after about 10 years where I didn't dig much. He took me out the very first hunt to a church yard back in 2006 and I went around toward the old outhouse and dug my first buckle! Sword Belt Plate! I will never forget that day--or how red his face turned! :D

At any rate, it was great to host him down here to put the coil to the Louisiana soil! Here's the video:

Here's some photos of the hunts... First photo, objects in it are smaller than they appear :laughing11:

IMG_4589.jpeg

IMG_4598.jpeg

This guy is like a brother to me. We don't get to dig much together anymore like we once did but when we get together for a hunt it's a reason to celebrate. Long trip from Kentucky to Louisiana!! We dug some civil war bullets, I got a seated half dime and he a barber dime, and we had a hell of a lot of fun.

IMG_2916.JPG IMG_2917.JPG

From the field beside this one I dug an 1896-O barber dime, and he dug this which is an 1895-S. SOOOO close to the RARE 1895-O! One day!!

IMG_2920.JPG IMG_2921.JPG

After KFB left I kept digging, using the NEL sharpshooter coil my wife got me for Christmas (awesome wife!!). Pulled a lump of silver from a pounded site (about 1/4 ounce melted), along with another half dime:

IMG_4713.jpeg IMG_2923.JPG

IMG_2918.JPG IMG_2919.JPG

Also went to another site and picked through some iron carefully and got a nice Eagle "I" cuff right at darkfall:

IMG_2924.JPG

The following hunt I went to a field to eyeball. It's always best to do this right after the first few hard rains after plowing (when all the marbles and other items are on the tops and sides of the sugar cane rows), then wait for about a month and eyeball again once the marbles have weathered out and rolled down to the bottoms and the coins and other items are weathered and washed flat. Spent the entire day eyeballing and didn't even turn on the detector. Walked away with many handfulls of marbles, some old glass bottles, half a gold plated ring, a brooch, a stirrup piece, and walked up on a WWII AF cap badge lying in the dirt:

63416232013__9A4598FD-D57D-4323-8607-24917B6B416D.jpeg IMG_4841.jpeg

Missing the eagle's talon with the olive branch but otherwise complete.

Also eyeballed what I thought was a toy gun sticking out of the mud. Brass barrel but not like anything I'd seen before. When I got it home I discovered it was rifled. So the search started to ID it. Turns out it's an Otis A. Smith .32 cal rimfire pistol (5 shot).

IMG_4844.jpeg IMG_4867.jpeg

63448925484__086C0097-C19A-4410-A532-86596603F71F.jpeg IMG_4863.jpeg IMG_4865.jpeg

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/or...-32-rimfire-serial-905?variant=18943905693765

Obviously the pistol frame was broken at the weakest point by the plow. Armed with the knowledge of what I was looking for, I swept the barrel under my F75 and it read 68-70 on the ID. So I went back the following day to this trashy TRASHY site to dig anything that read 62 or above on the ID. After a grueling day of digging hundreds and hundreds of aluminum ice cube tray pieces, bleach caps from bottles, melted aluminum, and other junk, I failed to find the rest of the frame (which means it's either deep or busted into more than one other piece). I did make several other great recoveries though. I eyeballed a hammer from a musket or rifle (anyone know what this might be from?)

IMG_2928.JPG IMG_2929.JPG

I also dug my first ever complete brass bullet mold! Even better, when I started carefully cleaning it, it was marked! "MASS ARMS CO"

63461588447__27A89567-38D1-439C-92EC-EB30D0C15039.jpeg

Here's a few photos of a non-dug one:
https://simpsonltd.com/massachusetts-arms-co-bullet-mold/

mass arms mold3.jpg mass arms mold1.jpg mass arms mold2.jpg

mass arms mold.jpg

This mold was for the .36 cal Adams patent revolver.
https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...co-adams-patent-double-action-pocket-revolver

download.png Adams Revolver1.png

Then as I rounded a row and the signals got a little thin I walked into an outbuilding site on the property and the iron nails intensified. I got a very high tone and out flopped this Railroad lock!!

63460287609__D94952D9-9DAD-4C61-B6C1-EC4012F28944 (1).jpeg

The last one of these I dug out west in Utah when I was on a trip hunting ghost towns there a few years ago, so I was stoked to find one in Louisiana!

While carefully cleaning the lock I started to see the marking with the letters S P C! South Pacific Coast Railroad!! This is a VERY rare line, running between Alameda, Santa Cruz and San Francisco--and for ONLY 11 years from 1876-1887!!

RenderedImage (1).jpg Here's the wiki page on this railroad:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Pacific_Coast_Railroad

SouthPacificCoastRailroadMap 1876 to 1887.png

And here are some of photos of the paddle wheeler ferry "the Newark" that traveled across the San Francisco Bay, owned by that railroad, and photos of various engines and cars from the SPC line:

The Newark was an SPC Ferry from alameda to san francisco [Bancroft].png newark san fran bay.jpg

Coaches for passengers spc rr.jpg spc rr mission street tunnel on cherry street.jpg

SPC number 20  Boulder Creek Ca..jpg spc rr stopped for a photo in coon gulch.jpg

So here's at photo of a few of the marbles and buttons, along with my top three brass finds:

IMG_2926.JPG IMG_2927.JPG

I now have more than one reason to go back to dig--I tried to find the value of a RR lock like this but while I didn't find a lock for sale I did see a key for sale (keys are more rare, as one key opened all the locks on any line). And an S P C RR key is valued at $1000.00!!

https://railtiques.com/shop/spcrr-c-bk-unmarked-south-pacific-coast-railroad-car-key-estremely-rare/

OK, lets get this snow over and done with--I want to dig!!

Best Wishes,

BB

Last edited:
Upvote 47

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craigslist Chattanooga,TN someone is buying heart shaped railroad locks...good post ,,good luck

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your post is the second one I've seen where a bullet mold has been found...what a great find on the lock and gun as well...oh and the part where your friend's face turned red after your find by the outhouse!....excellent post! Thanks for sharing...:notworthy::notworthy:

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What incredible finds and research! Bravo!! You really painted a picture around those finds BB!!!!:hello2::occasion14::headbang::notworthy:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10 outta 10 for both presentation and relics found!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some great finds Buckleboy. I like that Railroad lock and the coins.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for such and informative and researched post

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes! What a hunt! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your post is the second one I've seen where a bullet mold has been found...what a great find on the lock and gun as well...oh and the part where your friend's face turned red after your find by the outhouse!....excellent post! Thanks for sharing...:notworthy::notworthy:

haha many thanks ��

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What incredible finds and research! Bravo!! You really painted a picture around those finds BB!!!!:hello2::occasion14::headbang::notworthy:

I appreciate it Terry! Congrats on your recent Morgan dollars!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was a great post BuckleBoy! Looks like you have been doing extremely well in 2021. I got a kick out of the bullet mold... it came from my neck of the woods here in Massachusetts. Sorry to hear about your snow issue. No fun!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SIMPLY STELLAR BB!!!!!!!! Nothing better than huntin with GREAT FRIENDS!!! Lookin forward for more from y'all. CONGRATZ......

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doing well as usual, congrats...

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Great finds & Info!!! Congrats!!!

adit

Apr 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x ,
Tesoro Vaquero
That lock is a great find !
Very nice .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread