[BANNER] Gold Miner’s Starter Kit - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree266Likes

Thread: Gold Miner’s Starter Kit

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jul 2014
    California
    Minelab CTX 3030
    335 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I'm jealous. Always wanted to find a really old gold pan.

Very cool!
    Very very very few have ever been recovered metal detecting, let alone two in the same hole. They are typically made of crappy tin and they just don’t survive in the acidic soil out here

Jul 2014
    California
    Minelab CTX 3030
    335 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
    GREAT find! Very interesting bit of history there! You know what, that is cool enough for the Banner. My vote is in.
    Thank you 🙏 my back still hurts from carrying all this stuff home haha!

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    5990 times
    Metal Detecting
    "In a cavern, in a canyon
    Excavating for a mine
    Dwelt a miner forty-niner
    And his daughter, Clementine." Gary
    Fat, ANTIQUARIAN and Hendo0601 like this.

Although it's a hoard of rust, it's a pretty cool one. Would make a nice display in a local mining related Museum!
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    Have pleasant times finding pleasant things. 17/01/21
    I open my prezzies out of lumps of mud. 02/10/19
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

us
    Oct 2011
    4050 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    ...if someone was panning gold nearby...was he on to something?
    Fat, Hendo0601 and GaRebel1861 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2020
    New Mexico
    Minelab X-Terra 705
    1208 times
    Relic Hunting
    This is really cool! Only thing missing was a sack of gold nuggets
    Hendo0601 and tinpan like this.
    “There are but two parties now, traitors and patriots” —Ulysses S. Grant

us
    Sep 2020
    Oklahoma
    17 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Surely not what one expects in Today's Finds. Well done!
    Hendo0601 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    9649 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUSADER View Post
    Although it's a hoard of rust, it's a pretty cool one. Would make a nice display in a local mining related Museum!
    I agree there is more history in that pile then in many single items. This tells a story.
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

Charter Member
    ca
    Detect everyday like it's the last day of the season!

Apr 2010
    Upper Canada
    XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
    19842 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Congratulations on your research paying off with those amazingly historical California finds Hendo.

Kudos to you for achieving your first Tnet BANNER as well.

Dave
    Hendo0601 likes this.
    Antiquarian - a person who collects and studies antiquities or relics of the past.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    ― John Wayne

us
    Mar 2013
    California
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro Tesoro Cibola Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
    4063 times
    Metal Detecting
    Now, THAT is going to be hard to beat...!
    Wow!
    I'm sure this one became a Immediate Success...!
    "Banner", for SURE...!!!
    Hendo0601 and ANTIQUARIAN like this.
    Stick With It - It's not *IF* you'll find the good stuff , but WHEN!

Jul 2014
    California
    Minelab CTX 3030
    335 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by ANTIQUARIAN View Post
    Congratulations on your research paying off with those amazingly historical California finds Hendo.

Kudos to you for achieving your first Tnet BANNER as well.

Dave
    Thank you so much!!! I’m still buzzing from the high of finding all of this stuff and now this?!?! Someone pinch me...
    ANTIQUARIAN likes this.

us
    United States

Jan 2018
    338 times
    Wow!

Just wow!

Carefully preserve the contents. What you found is likely more valuable than a pouch of nuggets.

You are right on about not finding gold pans. I’ve got 13 years straight detecting gold...covered more ground than most. Only found a single gold pan (I gave it to my brother as a house warming gift). But that’s not what’s amazing. Find of a lifetime. I’d vote banner if it were not already up there.

The pick will likely have a makers mark that will allow you to track it down to the exact street address in San Francisco.
    Could you take a look? It should be 1/3 of the way along the pick..closer to the eyelet...on the side or bottom.
    The intention was if the tip broke off (which was not uncommon) they could warranty the pick or not.

EDIT: the sledge and axe head will likely have makers marks as well.

I’m staring at a pick that is stamped “Nelson & Baker” on both ends of the pick (bottom). Sometimes it was just a brand...but they were proud of their stuff in the first gold rush.
    Last edited by Tesorodeoro; Feb 19, 2021 at 12:53 AM.

us
    Apr 2020
    Northwest
    Tesoro compadre, which can find needles, but looking for something with a bigger coil/detects deeper, waterproof salt/fresh user friendly.
    737 times
    Metal Detecting
    Great recoveries that lead to more questions!
    "It's not just good it's good enough!"

Crusty the Clown

Jul 2014
    California
    Minelab CTX 3030
    335 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesorodeoro View Post
    Wow!

Just wow!

Carefully preserve the contents. What you found is likely more valuable than a pouch of nuggets.

You are right on about not finding gold pans. I’ve got 13 years straight detecting gold...covered more ground than most. Only found a single gold pan (I gave it to my brother as a house warming gift). But that’s not what’s amazing. Find of a lifetime. I’d vote banner if it were not already up there.

The pick will likely have a makers mark that will allow you to track it down to the exact street address in San Francisco.
    Could you take a look? It should be 1/3 of the way along the pick..closer to the eyelet...on the side or bottom.
    The intention was if the tip broke off (which was not uncommon) they could warranty the pick or not.
    First of all thank you! I never imagined this pile of iron actually making banner I’m beyond over the moon! I do agree with you about this collection of items being found together being more valuable than a sack of nuggets! This tells a story, and I’m glad to be telling it! I’ve been detecting in the MotherLode for about 5 years now and I’ve only ever seen one other gold pan dug and it was thrashed! The remarkable state of preservation of all of these artifacts is incredible. The knives and forks still have the wood on the handles!!! I have personally recovered easily over 20 intact picks and probably twice as many or more broken pick pieces, and of them only 2 or 3 are marked at all. Many of the early hand forged picks weren’t marked because it simply took time and the blacksmith didn’t want/need to take time to punch his name into a pick when he could already be making another one. Some smithees did in fact mark their picks, however, they are incredibly rare. Some miners would stamp their name into their own pick as well, to help identify it especially if working with others or you move around a lot. They broke a LOT of picks, so taking the time to punch your name into something you’re just going to break didn’t seem to make much sense so these are rare as well. The casting process came onto the scene in the 1860s which allowed the foundries to make picks much more quickly and since it was cast in a mold they could easily include a name or makers mark as a part of the mold. This came into practice more into the mid-late 1860s and on into the reconstruction/Victorian era. I have inspected 2 of the 3 picks and so far one of them is marked with a capital H, the other is blank. The third is soaking in apple cider vinegar to remove all of the surface corrosion. Once I get it out of the tank and hit it with the wire wheel I will know more, but I didn’t see any obvious markings. Marked shovels are equally as rare, if not more so.

us
    United States

Jan 2018
    338 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendo0601 View Post
    First of all thank you! I never imagined this pile of iron actually making banner I’m beyond over the moon! I do agree with you about this collection of items being found together being more valuable than a sack of nuggets! This tells a story, and I’m glad to be telling it! I’ve been detecting in the MotherLode for about 5 years now and I’ve only ever seen one other gold pan dug and it was thrashed! The remarkable state of preservation of all of these artifacts is incredible. The knives and forks still have the wood on the handles!!! I have personally recovered easily over 20 intact picks and probably twice as many or more broken pick pieces, and of them only 2 or 3 are marked at all. Many of the early hand forged picks weren’t marked because it simply took time and the blacksmith didn’t want/need to take time to punch his name into a pick when he could already be making another one. Some smithees did in fact mark their picks, however, they are incredibly rare. Some miners would stamp their name into their own pick as well, to help identify it especially if working with others or you move around a lot. They broke a LOT of picks, so taking the time to punch your name into something you’re just going to break didn’t seem to make much sense so these are rare as well. The casting process came onto the scene in the 1860s which allowed the foundries to make picks much more quickly and since it was cast in a mold they could easily include a name or makers mark as a part of the mold. This came into practice more into the mid-late 1860s and on into the reconstruction/Victorian era. I have inspected 2 of the 3 picks and so far one of them is marked with a capital H, the other is blank. The third is soaking in apple cider vinegar to remove all of the surface corrosion. Once I get it out of the tank and hit it with the wire wheel I will know more, but I didn’t see any obvious markings. Marked shovels are equally as rare, if not more so.
    That bottle was likely pontil marked...1860’s. My younger brother found one many years ago while we were poking around early camps. If I remember correctly it had “whittle” marks on the panels. That was 20 years ago or more I bet. Dad says they probably had pickles or olives in them.

Could you take a picture with all of it together at once after you get things cleaned up?
    Was it near a camp?
    Last edited by Tesorodeoro; Feb 19, 2021 at 01:16 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links