🥇 BANNER Rev war button?!?

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe I just found an amazingly beautiful revolutionary war button from the 64th regiment!! So excited about this one! I packed it back in dirt so it wouldn’t dry out. What the best way to clean and preserve this button please? 63545743449__B336AF99-A7A8-4D73-B870-CB066217DD05.jpg
Thanks for looking!

UPDATE: I got a private message from Don Troiani showing interest in my button! Instant geeking out. Don informed me that my button which is as I now know, a British 64th Regiment of foot, is a previously un known example!! I will be sending him pictures for his next article and couldn’t be more honored! I’m so thrilled to own this unique piece of American history!! IMG_0422.jpg
IMG_0421.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 80

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find. Brush the dirt off and coat it with a thinned down mix of Elmer's glue and water and let dry. That's a 50/50 mix.

Agreed if that is pewter. When I dig pewter buttons if they are stable enough I soak them for a day in the 50/50 mixture then let dry to ensure good penetration.

Hard to say what it is until cleaned off. I see a 64 listed as an artillery button in Don Troiani's Insignia of Independence but the buttons depicted show circular design lines closer to the 64 and they are described as gilded brass.

Could be an unlisted or field cast 64th Regiment of Foot. They had rope borders.

I would chicken dance if I dug that.:headbang:

Last edited:

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Much better picture. This post should really be moved to the What is it forum to get better visibility. I am not versed on early buttons and can only go by reference books. Looks exactly as a 64th regiment of foot enlisted man's button seen in Don Troiani's Military Buttons of the American Revolution pg 66 except for the border. Your button's border does not look like a rope but more of an arrow point type design.

There are much more knowledgeable folks in there that might be able to ID it.

OP
OP
rsilva02667

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Much better picture. This post should really be moved to the What is it forum to get better visibility. I am not versed on early buttons and can only go by reference books. Looks exactly as a 64th regiment of foot enlisted man's button seen in Don Troiani's Military Buttons of the American Revolution pg 66 except for the border. Your button's border does not look like a rope but more of an arrow point type design.

There are much more knowledgeable folks in there that might be able to ID it.

Don actually just sent me a message that my button is a previously unknown example! So cool!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray - I'm happy for you! That's a great find. Rev. War buttons in New England are hard to find, and you've got a well-preserved specimen; moreover, it's unique! That's a banner find in my book, and why not? It's unique - never seen before. It's historic. It's in wonderful condition. The 64th Regiment is recorded as having shed to the first blood in the Rev. War in a skirmish to capture a stash of weapons in Salem, MA. The 64th was in Boston in the early days of the conflict and the last regiment to leave Boston when the British abandoned the city in March of 1776. There's a lot of history in that button. Banner vote submitted! :headbang:

Last edited:
OP
OP
rsilva02667

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jim! Lots of great info there. It feels great to dig something from the revolution and the fact that it’s in such great shape and a unique has me jazzed!! Thank you for my first banner vote! -Ross

OP
OP
rsilva02667

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug an ordinary tombac right near this faint signal and popped this beauty out from about 10 inches

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice find! Besides the elmers glue method, hair spray works great as well. I dug a USA button about 10 years ago and sprayed the heck out of it with my wife's best hair spray and it is still in great shape...even the edge that was flaky. Your 64th is in very nice condition. Congrats.

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote banner for a previously unknown variety of revolutionary war button. First one ever found of that age is a banner in my book.

Of course any revolutionary war button would be a personal banner find for me. Congratulations on a great find, stay safe and keep swingin.

OP
OP
rsilva02667

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks tnt-hunter! This is definitely a banner find for me personally. The fact that you and Jim gave me a banner nod is a huge accomplishment for me as I’ve been on this site for 6 years and they’re my first banner nods so thank you!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the recovery of a 64th Reg. awesome button indeed.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great save. Unlisted British Rev War button, very nice!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Yeah I agree. Banner worthy. My vote is in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread