JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First silver standing liberty quarter I've ever found, unfortunately looks like it lost a battle with fire at some point. I don't think I can make a date out. I was so bummed it is damaged horribly but silver is silver regardless. 20210221_165816.jpg 20210221_165640.jpg Snapchat-204650936.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 20
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your SLQ! Definitely give foil/baking soda electrolysis a try, I've cleaned up some silvers that looked as bad as yours and now you'd never know. It will probably take several attempts, but don't give up, as long as you can smell the rotten egg odor it's still working.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so finding a coin that went through a fire is actually pretty interesting as it might point to a burnt down homestead where all was lost (i.e. more coins that the owner never retrieved)

I found a field that had just a horrendous patch of iron and tin pieces everywhere, i pulled what i thought was a blob of melted tin out until i saw the edge and date of a barber half, after that find i stayed and plucked through the debris to find several more coins.

hope this helps,

vp

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your SLQ! Definitely give foil/baking soda electrolysis a try, I've cleaned up some silvers that looked as bad as yours and now you'd never know. It will probably take several attempts, but don't give up, as long as you can smell the rotten egg odor it's still working.
Electrolysis is showing progress right away. Foil and vinegar method had no effect but for some reason Electrolysis is working

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so finding a coin that went through a fire is actually pretty interesting as it might point to a burnt down homestead where all was lost (i.e. more coins that the owner never retrieved)

I found a field that had just a horrendous patch of iron and tin pieces everywhere, i pulled what i thought was a blob of melted tin out until i saw the edge and date of a barber half, after that find i stayed and plucked through the debris to find several more coins.

hope this helps,

vp
Several sites around where I metal detect show signs of fire. I find lots of blobs of metal metal even complete melted chunks of brass

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electrolysis progress looking good Image (15).jpeg

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also note I know they are close I'm keeping an eye out and yeah I know the clip is rough on the coin but I clipped it on the very most damaged part. I know there are those nit picky people out there lol

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1929 is the date and it had a lot of detail left under the crud somehow. I had to go rough on the electrolysis so I think the copper in the silver bled through or I did something wrong but still better better the mess it was. mir_20210222_131241.jpg mir_20210222_131146.jpg

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
It's a shame that the soil was so hard on her as she was really nice when lost. Go out and find #2! Grats on a nice bucketlister.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow...that one is super crunchy! Regardless, as you said, silver is silver. Your next SLQ will have to be in better shape. Hope you find it soon.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...that one is super crunchy! Regardless, as you said, silver is silver. Your next SLQ will have to be in better shape. Hope you find it soon.
My clean up brought a little life back to it lol. Got I think some copper bleed and a pitting but had to be harsh with the electrolysis to get that burnt in crud out. I'm surprised it cleaned up like this I can deal with the copper bleed or whatever that is

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm extremely surprised at this result. I said what the heck and let it have a long bath in vinegar sitting on aluminum foil. I boiled it and let it sit. After awhile washed it off and got this result. It ended up looking better then I expected. mir_20210222_141318.jpg mir_20210222_141346.jpg

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried that it after that. I'm going to see if electrolysis will knock some of that off. Can't hurt to try

Great find !

Yes, if it was mine ... I'd put it in an Electrolysis Bath.
I've cleaned a few Silver coins in similar condition that way - they came out pretty good.

Good Luck !

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find !

Yes, if it was mine ... I'd put it in an Electrolysis Bath.
I've cleaned a few Silver coins in similar condition that way - they came out pretty good.

Good Luck !
First I had tried aluminum and vinegar boiling and no effect. Then came electrolysis, it took taking the coin out and rinsing it off and putting it back in a few time and it still looked eh, then I said F it and tried the aluminum and vinegar approach again let it sit for a long time and it worked wonders

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That came out pretty nice after all that work.

Congratulations - I think SLQ are one of the best US coin designs.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That came out pretty nice after all that work.

Congratulations - I think SLQ are one of the best US coin designs.
I had some times I wasn't sure if it was going to work. But I figured I had nothing to lose so hit it on electrolysis high power and risked a long boiling vinegar bath then a tooth brush and tooth paste treatment. Took me awhile to clean one coin.

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Really excellent result and congrats on your first one, my all-time favorite design!.....and yes, that detail around the rim on the obverse is the very first thing to wear down so that coin was indeed lost when it was fairly new, before 1935, IMO.....and it's a 1929-S but I'm sure you expected that being from CA..... congrats again and nice job on the cleaning!

HH all!

Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions