Finished Belt Axes

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After electrolysis and some conservation I finished with most of my dug belt axes. The larger axes came from colonial sites but have no markings on them. Jump right in if you know what they are as I only see one with an arrow on it. Now I'm starting to work on caulking tools from a mid 18th century shipyard.
belt axes.jpg belt axes 2.jpg belt axe all.jpg :skullflag:

Upvote 24

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the axes. That one in the middle on the right (the narrow one) is intriguing.

It will also be interesting to see the caulking tools from the shipyard. I'm not familiar with them but imagine they may include wide blunt metal objects for driving the material into the seams of the wood? Hammered with mallets?

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job on the restoration !

I use my Electrolysis Bath a lot - you have to know when to use this process and when not to use it - on certain types of metals it's the best way to go !

Also, I read that long term soaking in a Lye Bath really helps prevent future deterioration of Iron / Steel artifacts after they have been cleaned with Electrolysis.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice indeed, great looking collection of axes.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety in your finds! Good work on the clean up. Amazing what a little spark and sizzle can do to things...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread