Cannonball from Gettysburg area! BIG & HEAVY

wbtaylor73

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
55 years ago my brother-in-law found (dug up?) this cannonball during a Boy Scouts camping trip to the Gettysburg area.
He died awhile back and it was given to his sister.
She needed $$$ so I bought it for $100.00.

Details: The cannonball has a diameter of 6.37 inches and weighs 40 lbs. It's solid and there are no holes in it.

If anyone knows anything about this, I'd appreciate any help given as to what I may have.

Is it a $100 piece of garbage?

Attachments

• cb1.jpg
    cb1.jpg
    596.2 KB · Views: 64
  • cb2.jpg
    cb2.jpg
    964.8 KB · Views: 46
  • cb3.jpg
    cb3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
Upvote 11

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the real thing. Post over on the What is it Forum. Cannon ball guy can tell you all you need to know.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be ok. Check out artillery at Gettysburg, I don't think they had anything that big there. There were no prior long term gun emplacements there, as it was deep in Union territory and nothing nearby to defend. The battle of Gettysburg was somewhat unexpected when Confederates were scrounging for supplies and Burford's Union cavalry came upon them. I hope I remembered that right.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure it's well worth what you paid.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like its Civil War history. I think it's well worth the $ 100 that you paid.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
really great artifact !!!! I would have paid $100 for it.

vp

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Smokeythecat wrote:
> Check out artillery at Gettysburg, I don't think they had anything that big there.

Smokey is on the right track, as usual. ALL of the cannon types & sizes (calibers) which were present at the battle of Gettysburg are well-documented in historical records. (For example, see the book "A Concise Guide To The Artillery At Gettysburg" by Gregory A. Coco.) This ball's finder says its precisely measured diameter is 6.37-inches. That means this Gettysburg-found ball is definitely not a cannonball. The Official Records (as told in the Coco book) say the largest size of cannonball that was ever present at Gettysburg was 5.68-inches in diameter (24-Pounder/5.82" caliber). As explained in my first reply in another discussion of this 40-pound 6.37" ball, here:
Cannonball from Gettysburg area! BIG & HEAVY (treasurenet.com)
it is a rock-crusher ball (a.k.a. "Mill-Ball") associated with a Rock Quarry & Stonemilling facility which operated in the Gettysburg area for over a century.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokeythecat wrote:
> Check out artillery at Gettysburg, I don't think they had anything that big there.

Smokey is on the right track, as usual. ALL of the cannon types & sizes (calibers) which were present at the battle of Gettysburg are well-documented in historical records. (For example, see the book "A Concise Guide To The Artillery At Gettysburg" by Gregory A. Coco.) This ball's finder says its precisely measured diameter is 6.37-inches. That means this Gettysburg-found ball is definitely not a cannonball. The Official Records (as told in the Coco book) say the largest size of cannonball that was ever present at Gettysburg was 5.68-inches in diameter (24-Pounder/5.82" caliber). As explained in my first reply in another discussion of this 40-pound 6.37" ball, here:
Cannonball from Gettysburg area! BIG & HEAVY (treasurenet.com)
it is a rock-crusher ball (a.k.a. "Mill-Ball") associated with a Rock Quarry & Stonemilling facility which operated in the Gettysburg area for over a century.
I was waiting for your input & I'm not surprised by it. (I thought it looked wrong [Milling Ball jumped to mind], but that was a feeling, not based on your experience, so I stayed quiet)
Provenance is not a seller saying where it was found, unless that seller is trustworthy. (Having said that a milling ball may have been found there...lol)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread