Mushrooms!!!

Altiman

Aug 1, 2004
Wild Wild West
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Are you talking of the Morel type of mushroom. Those are my favorite. They always grow about this time each year in Oklahoma.

Altiman

N

Newbie1967

Augh!!!! 10 pounds! I'd like to find 10 mushrooms! My wife's father in law always finds a ton (Eastern Missouri) and of course sends us pictures. What a stinker.

M

mchamby

Hi Sara I mushroom hunt too here in Vermont but its too early for the shroons. This will be a bad year for morels because we are so dry but I do pretty good with chickens (sulfer crest mushrooms). They taste almost like chicken and are a salmon to yellowish color. You can't go wrong and pick the wrong thing nothing looks like them and they grow on trees.
MChamby

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Newbie1967 said:
Augh!!!! 10 pounds!? I'd like to find 10 mushrooms!? My wife's father in law always finds a ton (Eastern Missouri) and of course sends us pictures.? What a stinker.

my wifes father in law ? ??? . as long as your not singing " i'm my own grandpa " ,all is well :)

i'd be afraid to pick shrooms, i'd probably pick the wrong types, i play it safe and get em at the grocery store

OP
OP
E59

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No kooky shrooms, I'm afraid of them! These are good 'ol morels. We sell them for 10 dollars a pound to some people that come down from Des Moines but I like them so much this year that I don't really want to. Guess I don't have much say since I can't hunt them much anymore :o). I think my 2 year old and I have cleared through over a pound already today, won't hubby be surprised when he gets home!

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
When I was a teen I went out in Washington state and oregon a couple times to places where forest fires have been. We would camp out for about a month at a time. Morels would grow every where! We would fill 5,6,7 five gallon buckets up a piece. There were lots of pickers and buyers. We were making about 200$ a piece each day. Was alot of hiking, long days, very dirty in burns. There is a chemical givin off by burnt pine trees that really makes the mushroom thrive. Back in those days the money you got was tax free, but now I guess you need a permit to pick and all that jive. Some people wouild lay them out on tarps in camp and dry them. They were 80-100$ per pound dry in the winter time. The asians love em. I can say I ate my fair share of them things in about every way LOL they are very tasty. There were also some morels me would come accross called "greys" They sometimes got up to 5 pounds alone. They were rare however. Have fun eating them and enjoy! Im jelious lol :)

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
What the heck are these? Northern Arizona mountains, bout 9000 feet, september.

Attachments

• mushrooms.jpg
    mushrooms.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 317
OP
OP
E59

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dude, I don't know what those are but I sure as hell wouldn't put them anywhere near my mouth! :D :D :D

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My mom and aunt used to pick wild mushrooms. One day they looked closer at them and discovered worms. That's the last time we had wild mushrooms.

I've read too many stories about people picking the wrong mushrooms and poisoning themselves. No thanks!

pony

Greenie
Feb 12, 2005
Lansing, MI
Sara -
You need to provide details...this is slightly more serious than some will ever understand! Where are you located and do you have pics? Thanks, and will update from Michigan as they start to appear here~ Pony

p.s.- and the worms just add to the flavor!

M

mchamby

Jonster,
The shroons in the picture are of the inky cap family. Most are good to eat, some with caution others not. I would never go by a picture so I don't know exactly which you have but that is a very good picture. They are called inky caps because when they go by they turn to a blackish blue liquid. When they are picked to eat (the edible ones) they have to be used within a couple of hours or they tun into this blk goo. They are very tasty fried when you have the correct edible kind. Just a little info for you.
Mchamby

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
Thanks. I do have a nice book, but I wouldn't want to give anything a go without experience along side on this stuff. There were hundreds of them. These things were nearly a foot tall, and before they popped, they looked suspiciously like those face hugger pods in 'Aliens'! I left them for the squirrels.

Bishoop

Aug 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truffle Hunting

Hunting truffles now a days is likely becoming a trend not just because of the the variety of culinary use of it but it also comes with a very high price tag. A lot of people would pay extra just to get a hold of a very delicious, delicate, and hard to find truffles. On the question how expensive truffles really are, you can read and watch this article about truffle hunting to learn more.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting truffles now a days is likely becoming a trend not just because of the the variety of culinary use of it but it also comes with a very high price tag. A lot of people would pay extra just to get a hold of a very delicious, delicate, and hard to find truffles. On the question how expensive truffles really are, you can read and watch this article about truffle hunting to learn more.

You put up a link on how to find magic truffles (the narcotic kind). Hahaha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread