JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to a couple of new CW sites this past weekend and got a nice variety of relics including a couple of eagle buttons, a j-hook, and several bullets. While cleaning everything up I got a nice surprise finding a Bormann fuse under plug.
I knew that one of the spots had an earlier structure on it since I was finding old brick pieces and flat buttons, but I was still very excited and surprised to see a piece of cut silver pop out. I hope someone can help with an ID on the silver...and also the two disc shaped objects. Thanks, JB

Attachments

• camp.jpg
    camp.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 87
  • spanish 2.jpg
    spanish 2.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 71
  • spanish.jpg
    spanish.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 70
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 71
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 27

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably 10:1 or more quarter cut Pistareens found vs your half cut:occasion14:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful spanish piece !! Congrats.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great day right there

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the cut Spanish :thumbsup:
Based on my personal experience, Toasted's ratio of 1 in 10 cut in half is spot on. Only 2 of my 20 cut pieces were cut in half.

Ron P

Apr 14, 2009
Cary, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Many post always say Civil war, but are they really? Unless you find them in a know battle site, are they not just daily items. People worn parts of the uniform, (pants/jackets, hats) long after the war was over. They also carried the same packs for traveling. And kept and used the rifles for hunting; so many single bullet finds could be attributed to hunting. Have you ever looked at late 1800's pictures, I've seen army belt buckles used on their holsters in a number of pics. I've found a live grenade in a fox hole in Achen, so I know it was from the Hurtengen forest battle, but I also found bullets in farmers fields that were most likley from just hunting...its all context.

OP
OP
JBnNC

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Many post always say Civil war, but are they really? Unless you find them in a know battle site, are they not just daily items. People worn parts of the uniform, (pants/jackets, hats) long after the war was over. They also carried the same packs for traveling. And kept and used the rifles for hunting; so many single bullet finds could be attributed to hunting. Have you ever looked at late 1800's pictures, I've seen army belt buckles used on their holsters in a number of pics. I've found a live grenade in a fox hole in Achen, so I know it was from the Hurtengen forest battle, but I also found bullets in farmers fields that were most likley from just hunting...its all context.

Yes Ron, everything you've said is true and I have found some great single CW items in odd places, however these sites are known CW sites.....so well known that there were 100's of detecting holes that had recently been dug and re-filled. I'm just glad that they left a little for me.--JB

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds! If you don't mind, this does bring up a quick question that has intrigued me. How come some lead bullets of this time frame are dark and other's are chalky or whitish looking?

OP
OP
JBnNC

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds! If you don't mind, this does bring up a quick question that has intrigued me. How come some lead bullets of this time frame are dark and other's are chalky or whitish looking?
I think it's a combination of the age of the lead and the type of soil or moisture in the soil that causes the differences. I guess fertilizer in farm fields could have an effect as well. I've dug 2000+ CW bullets and 80 % have the whitish look that you mentioned.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that the white oxide coated ones come out of cultivated fields and hayfields and a lot of the darker ones come out mature woods that have never been farmed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread