Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Guys and Gals, i have been metal detecting for over 25 years and this is the first time i have posted anything i have found. and this web site help me ID it, so i had to join to tell you. Sunday 02/28/2021 I went detecting with a couple of friends, we had hit a site earlier and did not find much, so try an area we have been to a lot and just about hunted out, but there is still some things there but it has just got to be your day to find something. Had a couple of targets but pulled regular old brass shot gun shells and buck shot. I am using my old trusty Nautilus DMC-IIB, love that machine, had fallen tree where the roots were pulled out the ground, so like always check where it pulled out the ground. nothing there, making my way back to my friends as they are moving off from me. Got a signal, well thought to my self after just digging three shot gun shells, that it might be another. dug it and so a copper disc, of course i am getting excited, i start yelling my friends names, trying to get them to come back as none of us have found anything up to this point. but seeing the disc, i knew it could be a large button or a large copper coin. The sight has been know to get some King George coppers out of there and tomback buttons. Still not seeing my friends, i started getting dirt off the item. I saw a head facing right. we if you know about KG coppers some face left and some face right, this one is facing right. on the face of coin it read: George King of Great Britain. So i am calling my friends on my cell phone, you need to get back to me quick, i have got a KG copper. My friend said i will be there in a minute to help you ID it. He has found some before, most of mine of clipped, so not whole coins, but this one is whole. I clean the back a little, and i saw no date but one the back instead of what you normally see on a KG copper, i had a figure with a drawed bow and arrow and a deer with a tree and shrub. So my friends came back to where i was, i was jumping up and down and my friend saids i know that smile. He looked it and said i have never seen one of these before. So he posted on his facebook to get some help. So we detected more in that area and worked it a little need to go back. but did get a cannon shell fragment and i found 2 musket percussion caps in one hole and 5 ft away my friend dug one also. but it was getting late and park was closing so had to leave. One of my friend that was not with us, posted on Dan's facebook page, a link so we click on it and it turns out that this is King George I Indian Peace Trade Medal. It was made between 1714-1727 and doing research on the item some have been found from MI to VA, but none no further south that Virginia. and they were giving to the 6 main tribes which their were Indian tribes in this area, but were all driven out by 1808 according to history books. As far as I know there is not a number on how many were made, but ANS Digital Library Medal in America, there were 19 looked at. There are some in museums, and some rare collections. My oldest piece to this was a 1748 Spanish Reale, but this goes back further for me. Still have not made to 1600's yet, but still looking. I will post pictures of this and then the link to the ANS article so you can get a little history about this piece. Medal 1.jpg medal 2.jpg Medal 1.jpg medal 2.jpg

Upvote 90

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy cow! Banner!!!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Such a rare, rare, rare find ( and a great piece of history). Congratulations, and welcome to T- Net. I vote banner too!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
casper-the-friendly-.png Old friend of mine found one like 10yrs ago in Ma. woods
talk about luck ... he was hunting with 2 friends in an area with cellars they had hit yrs ago deep in the woods
He has to take a dump really bad and does not want to go in view of them - he looks deeper in the woods away from
their hunting area and sees a huge like 300+ yr tree about 50 yards away and figures he can go behind it
he goes and sets his machine down and takes care of business - then picks his machine up which he had left on
he gets a huge blast at base of tree - digs and out pops large bronze disc with KG on it in awesome condition
He has been hunting since 1980s and knew what he had - Indian Peace medal
Ive only heard of a few in my 40+ yrs of hunting - WTG

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
erfranks

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You everyone, I also have been hunting for over 25 yrs, and i have found some very nice relics and coins. I was in a town that no one hunted and did not have any friends close by to hunt with. It is weird how things come about. Have met some wonderful people here in Wilmington Area to hunt with, and still meeting more. I feel like this piece has history written all over it. It has history on English Front from when they were first settleing in this area, History for the American front for the birth of a new nation, and history for the Indian Front. I found it between two settlements that were very early in NC history. It was for this website, that my friend sent me a link where a person here found one back a few years back. and then we could research from there. Because when it first come out i was thinking coin or button. I have left a message with the director of local state park Brunswick Town, and also setting up a meeting with director of Ft Fisher National park. I feel like this piece needs to be put in a museum so people can see and learn about this history. This piece is dated 1714 and the Indian wars were 1711-15, The Yamasee War 1715-1717 and Charles Towne was settled around 1663 and Brunswick Town settled in 1726 and started by the Col Maurice Moore, which is my 7th Great-uncle. So your imagination could run wild on this one. Who gave it to who, and who wore it, how did it get lost, did it break and fall off or was it broken, because of the peace breaks and wars. Just a lot of history around one piece.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a wonderful piece of history! A guy I used to hunt with found half of the same medal at a site here in SW PA. The site had been an Indian Trading Post and later a British outpost during the French and Indian War. Yours has much better detail than his broken half.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An amazing piece of history! Great job!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been hunting that park for 8 years - before everyone and their brother new about it. Recovered some great relics and coins over the years. People have been hunting that site since the 90's. I wish I was one of them. It had a lot of colonial activity.
Very nice! I have hunted that same park...Found 3 shotgun shells...

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank You everyone, I also have been hunting for over 25 yrs, and i have found some very nice relics and coins. I was in a town that no one hunted and did not have any friends close by to hunt with. It is weird how things come about. Have met some wonderful people here in Wilmington Area to hunt with, and still meeting more. I feel like this piece has history written all over it. It has history on English Front from when they were first settleing in this area, History for the American front for the birth of a new nation, and history for the Indian Front. I found it between two settlements that were very early in NC history. It was for this website, that my friend sent me a link where a person here found one back a few years back. and then we could research from there. Because when it first come out i was thinking coin or button. I have left a message with the director of local state park Brunswick Town, and also setting up a meeting with director of Ft Fisher National park. I feel like this piece needs to be put in a museum so people can see and learn about this history. This piece is dated 1714 and the Indian wars were 1711-15, The Yamasee War 1715-1717 and Charles Towne was settled around 1663 and Brunswick Town settled in 1726 and started by the Col Maurice Moore, which is my 7th Great-uncle. So your imagination could run wild on this one. Who gave it to who, and who wore it, how did it get lost, did it break and fall off or was it broken, because of the peace breaks and wars. Just a lot of history around one piece.

Congratulations on an awesome and rare piece of history. Hopefully this attention doesn't ruin the site for the future. I'd hate the county to ban detecting the there. I've always tried to be super low profile and detect by myself there. I see these groups of 5 or more people hitting it and worry it will ruin it for everyone.

DetectorMoe

Apr 4, 2013
SouthEast North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox800, ATpro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know the only time I wasn't with you and you pop this awesome token out.. That is a heck of a find my friend, Congrats on such a rare dig!
Just wish I was with you so I could of filmed it.. lol

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Holy ^%#$, What a great find! Banner for sure!

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the historic find! Some threads on here really set the bar high for everyone.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congrats on the amazing find, erfranks, and it sounds like you've got a very good perspective on this find and on the hobby/adventure of detecting itself. As many have said this is banner-worthy but it's fair that rules are rules on that front - but don't take that too hard, because your find is what really matters.
I'm really glad to hear that you're talking to local historical organizations and considering it's possible place in a museum. I personally believe that's the right move, but I acknowledge that some of our TNet members don't agree. Personally I'd love to have any one of my finds displayed in a museum.
Good luck with that, and again - congratulations!

- Brian

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations.
Your piece still exhibits a deep strike, color, and condition. I love the sharp details on it.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That find is in a league of it own! :notworthy:

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, I think this is one of the most exceptional finds I have seen on this site. Nominating you for a banner. Congratulations. What a unique and interesting find!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread