Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Guys and Gals, i have been metal detecting for over 25 years and this is the first time i have posted anything i have found. and this web site help me ID it, so i had to join to tell you. Sunday 02/28/2021 I went detecting with a couple of friends, we had hit a site earlier and did not find much, so try an area we have been to a lot and just about hunted out, but there is still some things there but it has just got to be your day to find something. Had a couple of targets but pulled regular old brass shot gun shells and buck shot. I am using my old trusty Nautilus DMC-IIB, love that machine, had fallen tree where the roots were pulled out the ground, so like always check where it pulled out the ground. nothing there, making my way back to my friends as they are moving off from me. Got a signal, well thought to my self after just digging three shot gun shells, that it might be another. dug it and so a copper disc, of course i am getting excited, i start yelling my friends names, trying to get them to come back as none of us have found anything up to this point. but seeing the disc, i knew it could be a large button or a large copper coin. The sight has been know to get some King George coppers out of there and tomback buttons. Still not seeing my friends, i started getting dirt off the item. I saw a head facing right. we if you know about KG coppers some face left and some face right, this one is facing right. on the face of coin it read: George King of Great Britain. So i am calling my friends on my cell phone, you need to get back to me quick, i have got a KG copper. My friend said i will be there in a minute to help you ID it. He has found some before, most of mine of clipped, so not whole coins, but this one is whole. I clean the back a little, and i saw no date but one the back instead of what you normally see on a KG copper, i had a figure with a drawed bow and arrow and a deer with a tree and shrub. So my friends came back to where i was, i was jumping up and down and my friend saids i know that smile. He looked it and said i have never seen one of these before. So he posted on his facebook to get some help. So we detected more in that area and worked it a little need to go back. but did get a cannon shell fragment and i found 2 musket percussion caps in one hole and 5 ft away my friend dug one also. but it was getting late and park was closing so had to leave. One of my friend that was not with us, posted on Dan's facebook page, a link so we click on it and it turns out that this is King George I Indian Peace Trade Medal. It was made between 1714-1727 and doing research on the item some have been found from MI to VA, but none no further south that Virginia. and they were giving to the 6 main tribes which their were Indian tribes in this area, but were all driven out by 1808 according to history books. As far as I know there is not a number on how many were made, but ANS Digital Library Medal in America, there were 19 looked at. There are some in museums, and some rare collections. My oldest piece to this was a 1748 Spanish Reale, but this goes back further for me. Still have not made to 1600's yet, but still looking. I will post pictures of this and then the link to the ANS article so you can get a little history about this piece. Medal 1.jpg medal 2.jpg Medal 1.jpg medal 2.jpg

Upvote 90

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome voting Banner thanks for sharing

OP
OP
erfranks

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it cleaned up a little, and have sent it off to NGC (Numismatic Guaranty Corp) to get NCS Conservation, Graded, and put in holder. They said it would take a couple of months to get it back. I will post pictures when it comes back. I did shoot a couple of pictures before I sent off. I still can not believe I found it. Thanks for all the comments and letting me share with you. George I Medal EF.jpg George I Medal EF Rev.jpg

OP
OP
erfranks

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Find made it to the Local News paper. They are also doing a Podcast on Cape Fear Unearth. The Medal is still at NGC being graded, but i have been in touch with the Tuscarora tribe here in the region, and they want to see the medal when i get it back.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.starnewsonline.com/story/news/2021/04/29/peace-medal-found-near-wilmington-could-link-area-native-americans/7381683002/__;!!IIU9BLNPZ2ob!eshvcFHJzoynQq_A0D-wrBgkNQbkWjWQmquWjNCKC-kYfLgYb_MxQiC9oMvTcsii4sE$

There is also a Podcast with the newspaper

Last edited:

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing!! Congrats!!

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! That is amazing!!!

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got it cleaned up a little, and have sent it off to NGC (Numismatic Guaranty Corp) to get NCS Conservation, Graded, and put in holder. They said it would take a couple of months to get it back. I will post pictures when it comes back. I did shoot a couple of pictures before I sent off. I still can not believe I found it. Thanks for all the comments and letting me share with you. View attachment 1916768 View attachment 1916769

Mind blowing find and condition! Again, big congratulations!

OP
OP
erfranks

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Guys and Gals, i have been metal detecting for over 25 years and this is the first time i have posted anything i have found. and this web site help me ID it, so i had to join to tell you. Sunday 02/28/2021 I went detecting with a couple of friends, we had hit a site earlier and did not find much, so try an area we have been to a lot and just about hunted out, but there is still some things there but it has just got to be your day to find something. Had a couple of targets but pulled regular old brass shot gun shells and buck shot. I am using my old trusty Nautilus DMC-IIB, love that machine, had fallen tree where the roots were pulled out the ground, so like always check where it pulled out the ground. nothing there, making my way back to my friends as they are moving off from me. Got a signal, well thought to my self after just digging three shot gun shells, that it might be another. dug it and so a copper disc, of course i am getting excited, i start yelling my friends names, trying to get them to come back as none of us have found anything up to this point. but seeing the disc, i knew it could be a large button or a large copper coin. The sight has been know to get some King George coppers out of there and tomback buttons. Still not seeing my friends, i started getting dirt off the item. I saw a head facing right. we if you know about KG coppers some face left and some face right, this one is facing right. on the face of coin it read: George King of Great Britain. So i am calling my friends on my cell phone, you need to get back to me quick, i have got a KG copper. My friend said i will be there in a minute to help you ID it. He has found some before, most of mine of clipped, so not whole coins, but this one is whole. I clean the back a little, and i saw no date but one the back instead of what you normally see on a KG copper, i had a figure with a drawed bow and arrow and a deer with a tree and shrub. So my friends came back to where i was, i was jumping up and down and my friend saids i know that smile. He looked it and said i have never seen one of these before. So he posted on his facebook to get some help. So we detected more in that area and worked it a little need to go back. but did get a cannon shell fragment and i found 2 musket percussion caps in one hole and 5 ft away my friend dug one also. but it was getting late and park was closing so had to leave. One of my friend that was not with us, posted on Dan's facebook page, a link so we click on it and it turns out that this is King George I Indian Peace Trade Medal. It was made between 1714-1727 and doing research on the item some have been found from MI to VA, but none no further south that Virginia. and they were giving to the 6 main tribes which their were Indian tribes in this area, but were all driven out by 1808 according to history books. As far as I know there is not a number on how many were made, but ANS Digital Library Medal in America, there were 19 looked at. There are some in museums, and some rare collections. My oldest piece to this was a 1748 Spanish Reale, but this goes back further for me. Still have not made to 1600's yet, but still looking. I will post pictures of this and then the link to the ANS article so you can get a little history about this piece. View attachment 1906978 View attachment 1906979 View attachment 1906978 View attachment 1906979
UPDATE: The Medal has been Certified, Conserved and put in NGC holder. It is real and it was graded as XF Details, which is about how they graded all dug up coins and medals.

Thought i would give you an update on this. I do not know if i can top this find.

final medal 1.jpg
final medal 2.jpg

I hope every finds something good this weekend.

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on a great historical find...Question to everyone else..what's so great about a banner find on this site..you win a cookie or something???

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spectacular recovery!!

A good friend that I hunt with has been hunting for over 30 years and we always ask each other "What do you want to find today?" and he always replies: "An Indian Peace Medal".

OP
OP
erfranks

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spectacular recovery!!

A good friend that I hunt with has been hunting for over 30 years and we always ask each other "What do you want to find today?" and he always replies: "An Indian Peace Medal".

That is funny, but guess what they are out there. Believe it or not it was this website Tnet, that help us ID the metal, because someone else found back a few years ago. I have been hunting for awhile now also, but been by myself, now i have all these friends to share my finds with. I just wished i was a member sooner. I think i did sign up back in late 90's but never stuck with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread