Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Guys and Gals, i have been metal detecting for over 25 years and this is the first time i have posted anything i have found. and this web site help me ID it, so i had to join to tell you. Sunday 02/28/2021 I went detecting with a couple of friends, we had hit a site earlier and did not find much, so try an area we have been to a lot and just about hunted out, but there is still some things there but it has just got to be your day to find something. Had a couple of targets but pulled regular old brass shot gun shells and buck shot. I am using my old trusty Nautilus DMC-IIB, love that machine, had fallen tree where the roots were pulled out the ground, so like always check where it pulled out the ground. nothing there, making my way back to my friends as they are moving off from me. Got a signal, well thought to my self after just digging three shot gun shells, that it might be another. dug it and so a copper disc, of course i am getting excited, i start yelling my friends names, trying to get them to come back as none of us have found anything up to this point. but seeing the disc, i knew it could be a large button or a large copper coin. The sight has been know to get some King George coppers out of there and tomback buttons. Still not seeing my friends, i started getting dirt off the item. I saw a head facing right. we if you know about KG coppers some face left and some face right, this one is facing right. on the face of coin it read: George King of Great Britain. So i am calling my friends on my cell phone, you need to get back to me quick, i have got a KG copper. My friend said i will be there in a minute to help you ID it. He has found some before, most of mine of clipped, so not whole coins, but this one is whole. I clean the back a little, and i saw no date but one the back instead of what you normally see on a KG copper, i had a figure with a drawed bow and arrow and a deer with a tree and shrub. So my friends came back to where i was, i was jumping up and down and my friend saids i know that smile. He looked it and said i have never seen one of these before. So he posted on his facebook to get some help. So we detected more in that area and worked it a little need to go back. but did get a cannon shell fragment and i found 2 musket percussion caps in one hole and 5 ft away my friend dug one also. but it was getting late and park was closing so had to leave. One of my friend that was not with us, posted on Dan's facebook page, a link so we click on it and it turns out that this is King George I Indian Peace Trade Medal. It was made between 1714-1727 and doing research on the item some have been found from MI to VA, but none no further south that Virginia. and they were giving to the 6 main tribes which their were Indian tribes in this area, but were all driven out by 1808 according to history books. As far as I know there is not a number on how many were made, but ANS Digital Library Medal in America, there were 19 looked at. There are some in museums, and some rare collections. My oldest piece to this was a 1748 Spanish Reale, but this goes back further for me. Still have not made to 1600's yet, but still looking. I will post pictures of this and then the link to the ANS article so you can get a little history about this piece. Medal 1.jpg medal 2.jpg Medal 1.jpg medal 2.jpg

Upvote 90

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing find. It would make me weak in the knees. I can't imagine what it's worth, and so historically important too. Just awesome.

Yeah, I think this is BANNER level.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Banner Find! Congratulations!:occasion14::hello2::headbang::notworthy:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stellar find... well done.

Banner find.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a great find, unfortunately finding it before joining disqualifies it for banner.

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Big congrats!

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard of those peace metals, that's a super rare find, great dig

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mind blowing find of a life time! Big congratulations! Would no doubt be a banner.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. :hello:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats killer.....what a piece of history !!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this was my site I would have to break the rules and put it on the banner.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this was my site I would have to break the rules and put it on the banner.

If we break for one have to break it for all.....

Many members have great finds found before joining.

Found in mid Missouri before I joined.

Bird Pipe 4.jpeg

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! I have hunted that same park...Found 3 shotgun shells...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions