Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after posting a "what is it" here, and getting numerous responses, and thank you, I finally started hearing back privately by email from the guys who essentially wrote the books on Civil War insignia and such.

And the verdict is in. I dug this piece in Virginia Wednesday at a site that has produced 6 Confederate buttons (I only got 1) plus just about anything else you would want from a CW site, although no plates this year.

It reminded me of the official US Corps of Engineers insignia, model 1851 with the castle motif, but is apparently different.

So after numerous inquiries, it has been identified as the type of insignia Confederate engineering officers would wear on their kepis. These men attended various engineering schools and the insignia would have been kept from that establishment and used by an engineer. Apparently numerous different types have been found through the years but are rare enough they are almost never seen. All are consistent with CW usage, and the know examples have been found on CW sites. The Confederate army did not accept a uniform hat pin for engineers, so the officers kept heir school pins and used them as such. It's the same thought as the stars found on Texas and Mississippi sites that aren't quite standard regulation, but were worn by the troops.

So the badge is about 1" tall, stamped brass, had a brass wire pin soldered on the back and worn on a hat. That is a once in a lifetime find. Finding anything from engineering or ordnance, CSN, or the adjutant general's office is nearly impossible these days. My dad was in the 21st US Engineers in Italy and North Africa in WW2. He would have been proud. I have not cleaned it, the color changed with the background it was against.

IMG_2673.JPG IMG_2674.JPG IMG_2675.JPG

Upvote 62
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though not "regulation" so to speak, as there were no official regulations thereto, a once in a lifetime find. It is being documented for the "big guys" out there this week or next. I was hoping for another Confederate button.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. There are a handful of all slightly different ones known. A few have been published. I expect this one will be also. This piece gets put in the safe deposit box for sure. It may be nearly impossible to find out which engineering school had them made, but that project starts soon.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. There are a handful of all slightly different ones known. A few have been published. I expect this one will be also. This piece gets put in the safe deposit box for sure. It may be nearly impossible to find out which engineering school had them made, but that project starts soon.

Now the real work begins Smokey!!!!!! SUPER CONGRATZ on a REAL piece of history!!!!

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W

So after numerous inquiries, it has been identified as the type of insignia Confederate engineering officers would wear on their kepis. These men attended various engineering schools and the insignia would have been kept from that establishment and used by an engineer. Apparently numerous different types have been found through the years but are rare enough they are almost never seen. All are consistent with CW usage, and the know examples have been found on CW sites. The Confederate army did not accept a uniform hat pin for engineers, so the officers kept heir school pins and used them as such. It's the same thought as the stars found on Texas and Mississippi sites that aren't quite standard regulation, but were worn by the troops.

Smokey.. For my own edification and education, would you mind sharing what references were used to make this determination? I am always looking to expand my library and reference materials. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread