mbcuce

Jan 6, 2019
SC Lowcountry
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Updated- Hunt a good hunt this afternoon finding the usual for a colonial era site, musket balls, furniture tacks, some plain buttons. For some reason this site had a lot of buckles. Found 5 in great shape including a spectacle buckle.

IMG_5391.jpg

Then I found something I really wasnt expecting. A sword or knife handle with a dragon head. There is also a griffin inlaid on it as well. Haven't been able to find anything like it on line. Now LS had identified it as a British Military "Dog Head" Sword Handle:

IMG_5389.jpg 54313.jpeg

After Lost Signals ID and then he realized he had the matching guard and I looked at my earlier findings and had a piece of a knuckle guard that I never had any idea what it was.
IMG_5400.jpg IMG_3340.jpg RenderedImage.jpg

At this rate we will have the whole thing by tonight.

Last edited:
Upvote 43

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The broken knuckle guard that mbcuce posted above was something that he had sitting around from a long ago hunt at another site, but today I actually found the knuckle guard that belongs with this "dog head" sword handle. Some other interesting relics were found, but this was the only part of the sword that we dug. Still, it's pretty cool to have.
knuckle guard.jpg

OP
OP
mbcuce

mbcuce

Jan 6, 2019
SC Lowcountry
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The broken knuckle guard that mbcuce posted above was something that he had sitting around from a long ago hunt at another site, but today I actually found the knuckle guard that belongs with this "dog head" sword handle. Some other interesting relics were found, but this was the only part of the sword that we dug. Still, it's pretty cool to have.
View attachment 1908199

LS we are going have to figure out a trade. I need to put the parts back together.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Oh man, that is awesome! Great team work.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sword handle is amazing and the buckles are pretty early as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions