Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings! I am putting this in today's finds, as yesterday the guys that I have been going with and I just completed an exhausting dig around a house that burned in 1864 during one of the battles in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Dating the house to probably 1840-50, the Yanks were encamped around it and were surprised by the Confederates! Whoops! So we detected, then dug some, then detected then dug some, then, repeat, repeat. I can only go maybe four hours at a clip, so it took me 7 days (or about 28 hours) to detect the site. Every time we dug some, we'd come up with non metallic items also. Pic heavy, so this may take awhile. Go to the end of the "rant" as I posted my favorite pieces last.

The first day was almost a waste digging out big iron and aluminum can bits, but, after a couple hours of that, we started finding goodies.

IMG_2679.JPG Bits and pieces of china from the house were scattered across the plowed field, so they were eyeballed. Numerous kinds, from the CW period. IMG_2680.JPG IMG_2682.JPG This is blue and white spongewear and Leedsware "feather edge" ironstone china. Ironstone china was a 19th century invention.

IMG_2683.JPG IMG_2685.JPG I also got a few small pieces of redware. That all helped date the site.

Circling where the house was, the goodies started turning up with the detector. I am surprised the folks I was digging with missed them! IMG_2706.JPG IMG_2710.JPG Harmonica reed parts, various pieces of spoons and tableware and a "regulation" type folding spoon a soldier used during the war, and back piece to a pocket watch, the round thing. These (folding spoon sets) were purchased at various sutlers' shops.

IMG_2687.JPG IMG_2690.JPG IMG_2707.JPG Some iron equipment type buckles and pieces from a grate from (assumedly) the house.

IMG_2692.JPG Once we started getting the bigger pieces out of the way, we started finding a lot of flat buttons.

IMG_2709.JPG It was a surprise to dig this! Right next to the building was this trigger assembly to an Enfield rifle. Now, a few of these items have been shown previously, but I wanted to get everything together in one place.

IMG_2686.JPG From the home, not the battle, came some marbles and doll baby parts in porcelain. IMG_2695.JPG We only found a few pieces of pipe stem and part of a bowl. Those were scarce.

IMG_2693.JPG All around the area we would take a spell and just dig a hole and rake out what we found. We found a lot of porcelain buttons, a couple mother of pearl buttons, and some Goodyear rubber buttons. IMG_2696.JPG And some fancy buttons too! IMG_2694.JPG
And what would a Civil War site be without minie balls, they were few and far between. I did have numerous tiny pistol bullets and balls but no pic. IMG_2711.JPG IMG_2522.JPG This little glove button was a favorite.

IMG_2691.JPG We scratched out a little glass, but most of it was smashed so we discarded it.

IMG_2689.JPG After awhile I started detecting essentially in concentric circles getting farther and farther from the hilltop, it's a little hill, and to my shock found the straightened out butt plate to an Enfield rifle in brass. That made the earphone almost blow off my head!

IMG_2610.JPG This spout to a presumably Confederate canteen also was no slouch target.

IMG_2700.JPG Another pic of the little glove button and a destroyed hat pin, probably 6th corps.

IMG_2673.JPG One of my coolest finds, stamped brass pin about 1" tall, castle motif, believed to be non regulation Confederate engineer's hat pin. These were not regulation per se, but there was a small school in Virginia, the Westwood school that produced a button with a castle on it and it may have been from there. Best guess.

IMG_2656.JPG My best quality eagle button.

IMG_2697.JPG Thimbles, pins and bits and pieces.

IMG_2712.JPG My favorite, a man's wedding ring in brass, undoubtedly lost by a soldier during the battle.

IMG_2708.JPG Civil war buttons including a Block I Confederate, and eagles and some fancy buttons. I have to dig out the Virginia button and post it. I don't think I ever did!

IMG_2704.JPG And the coins from last week! IMG_2705.JPG
Little buggers were falling out of a hole and I said to myself "what are those white discs"? Yeah, really.
IMG_2671.JPG The only "good thing missing is the Virginia button from a few weeks ago. It's already in the safe deposit box. AND...the Virginia button. IMG_2713.JPG

Enjoy. BTW I just added the 4 silvers as one photo. They tumbled out of the same hole, same shovel. IMG_2719.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 51

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic bunch of history recovered! Well done,that bust dime is high on my bucket list.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I'll find that Virginia button and get a pic up. I can't believe I put it away with no pic. All the coins have dates. 1808 half cent, flattened for some reason, 1825 large cent. 1866 shield nickel, my first.

Coins are 1876 quarter, 1853 and 1860 quarter and 1833 capped bust dime. All the silvers and the nickel fell out of the same side wall of the same hole! Now that's something that doesn't happen every day.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow.
Congrats.
Kinda humbling seeing such relics sometimes...For the sake of thier previous bearers.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Hunt!!! Congrats!!!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great assortement of finds! I like that you pick up the non metal finds too. That makes the hunt complete. :icon_thumright:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I'll find that Virginia button and get a pic up. I can't believe I put it away with no pic. All the coins have dates. 1808 half cent, flattened for some reason, 1825 large cent. 1866 shield nickel, my first.

Coins are 1876 quarter, 1853 and 1860 quarter and 1833 capped bust dime. All the silvers and the nickel fell out of the same side wall of the same hole! Now that's something that doesn't happen every day.

A silver spill like that will be hard to beat, I think I would have to go to the emergency room.

Last edited:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Another great hunt in a long line of great hunts Smokey !

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Birdman, no you don't have to go to the emergency room if you don't realize what's happening at first! "What are those white discs falling off the side of the hole?" - that was my nearly priceless thought. I mean, when does it ever happen and who would expect it? Not me.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Smokey. I think your glove button is a crown. Is there a backmark on it?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No backmark.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thing about this hobby,full of surprises.:occasion14:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Smokey...great finds!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, Smokey! Love the coins and other relics. You hit a great spot for sure! Thanks.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Smokey, what a great bunch of finds! Must have been an amazing 7 days!

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on all the great finds! Looks like virgin territory you guys found. Love the ring. Very personal item. Nice white discs too.
Any pics of the site or is it just woods or a field?

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really cool stuff. I have found that alot of those old rings were plated or dipped when new?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great assortment of finds Smokey, congrats.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome post with plenty of great photos and descriptions! You were such lucky ducks to have a site like that!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gene Mean, the site has been POUNDED for four decades. This is one tiny area whoever "they" were hit it, repeatedly, but was so iron infested they couldn't hunt it. The Deus can however. brouhaha brouhaha Notice we didn't find any plates although some have been found there in the past, and most of the easy bullets were gone. The farmer has been generous. We don't have any pics of the site. For some reason unless folks are at one of my spots, I don't even think to take pictures. Maybe its because I look like a groundhog crossed with a porcupine. I still haven't had a professional haircut for a year now.

Tony in SC, the rings were plated with gold when new. It has 14k marked in it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions