24" to 30" Mystery sphere with access port(?) on the end. - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: 24" to 30" Mystery sphere with access port(?) on the end.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2013
    Southern Louisiana
    XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    277 times
    All Hidden Historical Items
    No problem Pete. You did what you were supposed to do by telling the super.

Here's one article on the test site down the road:

https://www.fox8live.com/story/34975...etonation-site

Residents near Robert surprised to learn of WWII-er bomb detonation site

By FOX8Live.com Staff | March 22, 2017 at 8:24 PM CDT - Updated July 2 at 1:10 AM

(WVUE) - People who live near Robert, LA say they wish they had had some notice after the Corps of Engineers detonated a World War II-era bomb.

The detonation occurred in the middle of what once was a huge bombing target range used during World War II.

We visited a covered bomb crater from a bomb that was detonated about five weeks ago on a site east of Hammond.

"It was a surprise to us not disclosed by the real estate agent or our neighbors," said Byron Landry, who moved to a property near Robert four years ago not knowing that it was once was part of a 15,000-acre bombing range.

"I heard one then two explosions. It really rattled the house," said Landry.

Landry and his neighbors were stunned to hear two loud explosions on Feb. 10.

"There was an enormous explosion. The ground shook slightly," said neighbor David Lirette.

Clay Church with the Fort Worth division of the Army Corps of Engineers said the blast came from a 100-pound bomb dropped from a bomber over 70 years ago.

"Army Corps team was doing investigation and found the ordnance," said Church.

The detonation was part of an ongoing effort to clear areas known as formerly used defend sites or FUDS.

"Dug 6 inches and came across this 50 caliber projectile," said Lirette.

The range was used for target practice for bombers and small fighters like the P 51, which fired lighter artillery.

"Today after a rain you find these quite profusely," said Lirette.

Residents say concerns about bombs keeps them from plowing their fields.

"I would like to plant but we've been cautioned not to dig, and if we strike an object we should contact the authorities," said Lirette.

"I just wish I'd known. I probably wouldn't have bought the property," said Landry.

As the Army Corps continues to look for bombs, many say they will live with a threat they consider minimal.

"These structures were built after the fact. I could be sleeping over a bomb," said Lirette.

While some people worry about bombs on the site, a lot of people say this area was farmed for decades and they feel fairly comfortable but nothing will happen now.

The former bombing target range stretched over a wide area between Highway 445 and the Saint Tammany Parish line north of highway 190 in Tangipahoa parish.

Copyright 2017 WVUE. All rights reserved.
    "The best thing for being sad is to learn something. Learn why the world wags and what wags it.

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705
    3512 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    If it doesn’t end up being a bomb, this is what I thought it might be. These are carbide gas generators
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B4EA8F0E-ADCE-4745-806A-7DB7CEC371A1.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	3.89 MB 
ID:	1912736
    PetesPockets55 and Injunbro like this.
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it”

Thomas Jefferson

us
    Jul 2020
    Vermont
    An old radio shack, simplex
    421 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    This is in interesting thread! Be very careful around that before it is fully identified!!
    PetesPockets55 likes this.

us
    Wood Butcher

Apr 2013
    Indian River Co., Fl
    AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
    2030 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanMN View Post
    If it doesn’t end up being a bomb, this is what I thought it might be. These are carbide gas generators

Name:	B4EA8F0E-ADCE-4745-806A-7DB7CEC371A1.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	3.89 MB 
ID:	1912736
    I've never heard of them and learned something new again today. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermont treasure hunter View Post
    This is in interesting thread! Be very careful around that before it is fully identified!!
    I definitely am. I wish the superintendent would call me back and let me know if he found out anything.

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    81353 times
    Pete... So what the heck is the update if any ? ? ?
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread -http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

br
    Jul 2018
    1195 times
    Your find appears to have a hex nut at the top....from what I have seen, the mines have a round fixture at the top...it seems like the find has a more rounded, instead of a flat top?

Name:	How-To-Listen-for-Unexploded-Landmines-With-65-Microphones-2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	1912871

are there bolts at the edges?
    EDIT: Sanitary sewer cleanouts are usually located just inside a property line...

Be careful....
    Last edited by xaos; Mar 25, 2021 at 07:17 AM.
    AARC and PetesPockets55 like this.
    oh what the hell...why not!

br
    Jul 2018
    1195 times
    Update or are you blown up?

us
    Wood Butcher

Apr 2013
    Indian River Co., Fl
    2030 times
    My apologies guys and gals following this thread. It seems this reply was still in "Auto-save" and not posted.

LOL, I'm still here Xaos!

Quote Originally Posted by AARC View Post
    Pete... So what the heck is the update if any ? ? ?
    I've reached out to the superintendent but he hasn't replied. The airforce base said assessing it had to go through the local PD.

I did find out the local PD comes out, assesses whether there is a potential threat. If they see potential danger they call in their own bomb squad who determines if the military bomb squad needs to be called in. Lots of channels to go through when it seems like letting me send an image to someone might have expedited things ..... a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by xaos View Post
    Your find appears to have a hex nut at the top....from what I have seen, the mines have a round fixture at the top...it seems like the find has a more rounded, instead of a flat top?

Name:	How-To-Listen-for-Unexploded-Landmines-With-65-Microphones-2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	1912871

are there bolts at the edges?
    EDIT: Sanitary sewer cleanouts are usually located just inside a property line...

Be careful....
    Xaos, Thanks for the insight, questions, and concern. I definitely was alarmed.
    It was located near the property edge and about 100' west of the dune.

Yes, it was curved/rounded at the top and I got alarmed when I realized it wasn't clean-out for a cast iron pipe and stopped before I got to the edges, so I'm not sure about bolts. The hole I excavated was about 18"-20" in diameter and about 12" of the curved metal object was visible. If you put a straight edge across the top of the round disc the body would have dropped away from the straightedge about 2" on each side.

If you look at the circular disc, it isn't flat like a huge washer. The outer edge seems to be raised or elevated from the central part. That seems to be similar to a deflector shield used to keep gasses or liquids from being discharged in a stream. That doesn't compute with anything I have knowledge of so I'm still baffled.

Unless it is a really old propane tank and this disc is some sort of pressure release valve?

ps. BTW- Me no go boom! :-)))))

br
    Jul 2018
    1195 times
    ps. BTW- Me no go boom! :-)))))
    Great news!

RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    19340 times
    Explosive Poop ?

us
    Wood Butcher

Apr 2013
    Indian River Co., Fl
    2030 times
    The super said the local PD came by and took photos to send to their bomb squad. He hasn't heard the outcome but I'm thinking they must not be too worried if no one rushed out to look more closely?

Quote Originally Posted by xaos View Post
    Great news!
    My cat and dog agree (as long as I continue to feed them.)

Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Explosive Poop ?
    I think someone wondered if it might be the cover to a metal septic tank.
    RTR likes this.

us
    United States

Jan 2018
    684 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PetesPockets55 View Post
    The super said the local PD came by and took photos to send to their bomb squad. He hasn't heard the outcome but I'm thinking they must not be too worried if no one rushed out to look more closely?

My cat and dog agree (as long as I continue to feed them.)

I think someone wondered if it might be the cover to a metal septic tank.
    I don’t see any method of “access”. There would be bolts visible.

Charter Member
    us
    Dig everything!

Sep 2018
    Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de Las Nieves
    Garrett, Equinox 800
    448 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    If this was reported to the police / sheriff here is what usually happens. Martin SO has their own bomb squad, they arrive and investigate. Sometimes st lucie sheriff calls Martin if in st lucie county. Indian River does not have their own bomb squad. If they cannot handle it or prove it to be questionable, they call Patrick. These channels are all automatic and have been in place regardless what the super says. (When we called in Indian River, Patrick EOD arrived within a few hours until the budget cuts.) Once the call reaches the SO, it becomes public record and the news media jumps on it. I worked in public safety during all the Indian River EOD finds during the 80s to 2012. In 2013-2014 military EOD combed st. Lucie, south Indian river and north martin east and west of the beach. They dragged magnetometers and other devices in the water, they analyzed the soil for traces of decomposed explosives and cleaned it all up when found. I am sure many devices are still buried. I found an artillery fuse not far from the SEAL museum.

I am thinking supe did not call 911 and report it. It almost looks like the top of an old fire hydrant but the 24 inch width would be too large.

OP you did the right thing. Hope to hear more whatever it turns out to be.
    Last edited by FloridaSon; Mar 30, 2021 at 04:27 AM.
    "There is something in a treasure that fastens upon a man's mind. He will pray and blaspheme and still persevere, and will curse the day he ever heard of it, and will let his last hour come upon him unawares, still believing that he missed it only by a foot..." Joseph Conrad

Charter Member
    us
    Dig everything!

Sep 2018
    Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de Las Nieves
    Garrett, Equinox 800
    448 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Just read your other neat find. Very interesting site you have their. HH and stay safe
    "There is something in a treasure that fastens upon a man's mind. He will pray and blaspheme and still persevere, and will curse the day he ever heard of it, and will let his last hour come upon him unawares, still believing that he missed it only by a foot..." Joseph Conrad

us
    Wood Butcher

Apr 2013
    Indian River Co., Fl
    2030 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesorodeoro View Post
    I don’t see any method of “access”. There would be bolts visible.
    The only thing I could see that looked like a bolt was the one in the very center of the disc. But I didn't excavate to the edges of the convex metal "sphere-like" object so there might be bolts around the perimeter of it.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaSon View Post
    If this was reported to the police / sheriff here is what usually happens. Martin SO has their own bomb squad, they arrive and investigate. Sometimes st lucie sheriff calls Martin if in st lucie county. Indian River does not have their own bomb squad. If they cannot handle it or prove it to be questionable, they call Patrick. These channels are all automatic and have been in place regardless what the super says. (When we called in Indian River, Patrick EOD arrived within a few hours until the budget cuts.) Once the call reaches the SO, it becomes public record and the news media jumps on it. I worked in public safety during all the Indian River EOD finds during the 80s to 2012. In 2013-2014 military EOD combed st. Lucie, south Indian river and north martin east and west of the beach. They dragged magnetometers and other devices in the water, they analyzed the soil for traces of decomposed explosives and cleaned it all up when found. I am sure many devices are still buried. I found an artillery fuse not far from the SEAL museum.

I am thinking supe did not call 911 and report it. It almost looks like the top of an old fire hydrant but the 24 inch width would be too large.

OP you did the right thing. Hope to hear more whatever it turns out to be.
    Thanks for all the first-hand insight on the local finds and that procedural information. That helps and answers a lot of questions.

But the Super didn't call 911. You might be right, but last week he said he would reach out to someone he knew on the Dept. Yesterday when I was able to reach him he said an officer he knew came by last week and took images. He said he was glad I asked him about it again because it reminded him to follow up to see if it was anything serious. I took his word for it he had spoken with the IRShores PD and since nothing happened on-site in relation to the pictures (if they were taken), I assumed the PD determined it not to be a threat. (That expression about what happens when we assume something is coming to mind.) But, if as you suggest with the normal operating procedure, he didn't call anyone yet and no assessment made by a LEA, the situation might be up in the air. I'll "pester" him again today.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaSon View Post
    Just read your other neat find. Very interesting site you have their. HH and stay safe
    Thanks and I'm trying to stay positive about the site. I haven't had time to get back to it yet. I know for sure where there are about 10 more cents!! I sure don't want to lose the permission but feel safety is most important.
    Blak bart, pepperj and FloridaSon like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links