24" to 30" Mystery sphere with access port(?) on the end.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a new permission (described in this link http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/651514-new-permission-bizzarre-american-arms-type-day.html) on Sunday at a newer development when I came across an area about 5' feet inside the privacy wall (about 20'-25' from a neighbors home outside the development) and littered with debris from a home demolition.

I got a nice signal (low to mid 80's if I remember correctly). The dirt was dense and packed which is more indicative of fill for a home slab, not loose beach side type sand like I expected. It took some time since it wasn't easy digging and I see what looks like an old plumbing clean out for large diameter cast iron pipe.
This is what I saw.
MetalDome10CroppedTight.jpg
And this is a real clean-out plug. (Almost all old ones are iron not brass like this image)
CastIronCleanout-Image.jpg

I enlarged the hole just to confirm that it is indeed a plumbing pipe but instead of whatever the "plug" is attached to being cylindrical like a pipe it starts to curve back from the "plug" in all directions like a sphere. :dontknow: This is where I finally got cautious and more careful with my digging since this area of Florida has the WWII training facility in FT. Pierce about 8-10 miles away. (Navy Seal UDT Museum Link- https://www.navysealmuseum.org/about-the-navy-seal-museum/the-origin-of-the-national-navy-udt-seal-museum )
Munitions and ordnance are still found every couple of years so it is best to be cautious.

More images to see if anyone can shed light on this being something dangerous or some benign garbage. Notice the grooved notches emanating from the "plug". They seem like they may be intentional and are not just a byproduct of the manufacturing process.
MetalDomeWCarrotForScale1.JPG MetalDomeWCarrotForScale2Close.JPG MetalDomeWCarrotForScale5Close.JPG

MetalDome8Close.JPG MetalDome9Close.JPG MetalDome9Close.JPG

I stopped when the hole got about 18"-20" in diameter. But I would say the "sphere" is about 24" -30" across. I can't imagine an older propane tank having this access point.

Thanks for looking and any input on an ID.

Upvote 12
OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I walked up on that early in the morning and saw the inert written on it I would have that thing in my man cave !! Imagine trying to drag that sucker to the car !!

Not without a team of oxen!

Here's a link to another military ordnance story I found while trying to find images of someone dragging a bomb up a beach. This story involves dragging the 10' long & 7000 lb "Tybee" bomb with a shrimp boat net. The shrimp boat mentioned is near the end of the article.
https://gardenandgun.com/feature/saga-tybee-bomb/
Ay, Caramba!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread