24" to 30" Mystery sphere with access port(?) on the end.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a new permission (described in this link http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/651514-new-permission-bizzarre-american-arms-type-day.html) on Sunday at a newer development when I came across an area about 5' feet inside the privacy wall (about 20'-25' from a neighbors home outside the development) and littered with debris from a home demolition.

I got a nice signal (low to mid 80's if I remember correctly). The dirt was dense and packed which is more indicative of fill for a home slab, not loose beach side type sand like I expected. It took some time since it wasn't easy digging and I see what looks like an old plumbing clean out for large diameter cast iron pipe.
This is what I saw.
MetalDome10CroppedTight.jpg
And this is a real clean-out plug. (Almost all old ones are iron not brass like this image)
CastIronCleanout-Image.jpg

I enlarged the hole just to confirm that it is indeed a plumbing pipe but instead of whatever the "plug" is attached to being cylindrical like a pipe it starts to curve back from the "plug" in all directions like a sphere. :dontknow: This is where I finally got cautious and more careful with my digging since this area of Florida has the WWII training facility in FT. Pierce about 8-10 miles away. (Navy Seal UDT Museum Link- https://www.navysealmuseum.org/about-the-navy-seal-museum/the-origin-of-the-national-navy-udt-seal-museum )
Munitions and ordnance are still found every couple of years so it is best to be cautious.

More images to see if anyone can shed light on this being something dangerous or some benign garbage. Notice the grooved notches emanating from the "plug". They seem like they may be intentional and are not just a byproduct of the manufacturing process.
MetalDomeWCarrotForScale1.JPG MetalDomeWCarrotForScale2Close.JPG MetalDomeWCarrotForScale5Close.JPG

MetalDome8Close.JPG MetalDome9Close.JPG MetalDome9Close.JPG

I stopped when the hole got about 18"-20" in diameter. But I would say the "sphere" is about 24" -30" across. I can't imagine an older propane tank having this access point.

Thanks for looking and any input on an ID.

Upvote 12

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well cover?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anti tank mine !!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting!! Keep us posted. I'd be dying to know. If it's ordnance . . . maybe I really WOULD be dying to know . . .

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um yea... that is a weird one... definitely leary of that.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Looks dangerous to me 45BC4C59-BD80-4F97-A565-D7B95C36DABC.jpeg
not an exact match but it looks a lot like the top of this WW2 Navy mine.

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, looks like a bomb. Be careful!

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anti tank mine !!

I think you are right Bb, or at least, not too far off. Be Careful PP55. Unexploded land mines have been found in Florida & other places. Yours looks a little like ones pictured in these links: The first link mentions a mine found in your area of
Indian River County, but the site has an ad blocker turn-off thing & doesn't allow me to read the whole article. I have to keep refreshing the page to read the article but i can see it is Indian River. Careful with that thing. VERY careful!
Thanks to Blak Bart.
https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/l...wii-era-land-mine-found-man-beach/3896626002/
https://news.softpedia.com/news/How...ded-Landmines-With-65-Microphones-61410.shtml
Two land mines found on the beach in Vero Beach | All News, Featured News Secondary, News | Indian River County, indian river county sheriff's office, land mine, metal detector, Patrick Air Force Base | Vero News
https://www.lexpev.nl/minesandcharges/europe/germany/tellermine35st.html

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be a cover to an underground tank - either for fuel or to make gas for farm use?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just got a like from Pete so he is still with us. :)

Whew.... sheesh man I think you should definitely STEP BACK on this one... call it in ASAP.

I wouldn't dig it any more until it has been cleared to do so by authorities.

Normally I wouldn't bother anyone with something until I knew for sure... but this IF it happens to be something bad could effect others as well.. so its IMO not an option.

Due diligence required IMO.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides... you don't want to screw your digging tools and detector up do you ? ? ?

:P

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are right Bb, or at least, not too far off. Be Careful PP55. Unexploded land mines have been found in Florida & other places. Yours looks a little like ones pictured in these links: The first link mentions a mine found in your area of
Indian River County, but the site has an ad blocker turn-off thing & doesn't allow me to read the whole article. I have to keep refreshing the page to read the article but i can see it is Indian River. Careful with that thing. VERY careful!
Thanks to Blak Bart.
https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/l...wii-era-land-mine-found-man-beach/3896626002/
https://news.softpedia.com/news/How...ded-Landmines-With-65-Microphones-61410.shtml
Two land mines found on the beach in Vero Beach | All News, Featured News Secondary, News | Indian River County, indian river county sheriff's office, land mine, metal detector, Patrick Air Force Base | Vero News
https://www.lexpev.nl/minesandcharges/europe/germany/tellermine35st.html

It does look like a teller mine dosen't it !!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes... and was my first thought... and was waiting for further posts before I chimed in again... you stated it... I liked it... and was waiting.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was waiting for him to post some sewer cap or other inert item... sorta been in limbo on this... some member suggestions were plausible and hopeful... so...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? ? ? no response.

Bah.

Good luck then Pete.

Last edited:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1-2-1024x959.jpg looks a lot like a WW-2 Anti tank mine , even has the lines on top.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So we are at either poop or explosives inside.

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the delayed response but I've been overloaded with work. I just checked in quickly this morning and was going to add some replies but realized I didn't have time with 5 guys waiting for me with questions.

Thanks for all the links, interest and concern because I stopped once i realized it was some kind of sphere and not a pipe.
I'll try to add some more to individuals comments.

Um yea... that is a weird one... definitely leary of that.
Definitely leary, especially when I realized it was not pipe.

Looks dangerous to me View attachment 1910778
not an exact match but it looks a lot like the top of this WW2 Navy mine.
Some very close similarities. The circle was about 3" in diameter and the whole "sphere" looked like it might be 24" or so if I had continued.

Yeah, looks like a bomb. Be careful!
Thanks because that thought definitely went through my mind as well.

Could it be a cover to an underground tank - either for fuel or to make gas for farm use?
An underground fuel tank crossed my mind first but the 3" circle was at an odd angle. Not horizontal and not vertical which seemed to indicate the "sphere" wasn't orientated as intended. Also, fuel tanks don't have access ports on the end. Valves and such are usually on the top near the middle. And none that I've seen have those narrow lines emanating from and perforations.

Well I just got a like from Pete so he is still with us. :)

Whew.... sheesh man I think you should definitely STEP BACK on this one... call it in ASAP.

I wouldn't dig it any more until it has been cleared to do so by authorities.

Normally I wouldn't bother anyone with something until I knew for sure... but this IF it happens to be something bad could effect others as well.. so its IMO not an option.

Due diligence required IMO.

Thanks AARC because that's exactly what I did. First thing Monday morning I showed it to the job super because it's his project and his responsibility. I explained the Naval training history of the area since he was from the Naples area and wasn't familiar.

Today when I asked the super if he called anyone he said he was going to dig around it a little more to see if he could tell what it was!!!!! :censored: After closing my jaw with the palm of my hand I told him NOT to do any digging because I liked working with him and didn't want to have to get used to a new one. :laughing7: I told him I was trying to find the # for Patrick AF base ordnance removal team.

I called Patrick AFB and Eglin AFB trying to get in touch with someone I could send images to to see if it was dangerous. I thought Patrick AFB was going to have me speak to someone but they told me to call the local PD.

I passed all the info to the super and he said he knew people on the local PD and would call them to look at it. Hopefully I'll have an update tomorrow from him before it ends up in the news.

Besides... you don't want to screw your digging tools and detector up do you ? ? ?

:P
You got that right. I need them for finding more buried handguns. :laughing7:

A little but I'm not sure how large the Teller is in diameter. Plus the grooves in the metal resemble the crimped end of a bratwurst or liverwurst. :laughing7:

? ? ? no response.

Bah.

Good luck then Pete.

Sorry for the delay but lots going on.
I'll add more info as it reaches me.

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1910852 looks a lot like a WW-2 Anti tank mine , even has the lines on top.

It does have some strong similarities. I wonder what the diameter on them is?

The center of the circle on the one I found has what appears to be some kind of hex bolt with a partially corroded washer. Hope to know more tomorrow or Friday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread