Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I got out for my first hunt of 2021 last Friday morning and found a racehorse name tag. I found this in one of the paddocks which is one of the last to be developed into residential housing in Windfields Farm. The tall grass in the horse paddock made it a challenge to swing the coil, but the only time of year that I can detect here is after the snow has melted. I have included pics of the original front entrance gate to the farm and some of the horse paddocks (now gone), I’ve also included a pic of how the same entrance looks today. Also included, is an excerpt from a local newspaper article from 2009, it talks about the last nine horses left at Windfields that will be sent to auction prior to the land being developed. The mare Barney's Mistress was one of the last horses to be sold. I am holding what’s left of her leather halter in my hand. It’s sad to think that this is all that’s left of her and it would’ve been lost forever if I hadn’t been fortunate enough to find it. :thumbsup:

I got out again on Tuesday to another site east of Toronto, which once again is only accessible in the early spring. There was a hotel located just east of here in the late-19thc, this is where the barn/stables were located. Where the hotel used to be, is now a paved 4-lane highway. It was here that I found a brass horse rosette and a flat button.

Thanks very much for looking,
Dave

‘Windfields to Disperse Standout Mares and Foals - Farm to sell nine mares and four weanlings at Keeneland November sale.’ - November 7, 2009

“Windfields Farm, the historic Canadian nursery that announced in August it would disperse its remaining horses at this year’s Keeneland November breeding stock sale, has several promising prospects that are sure to stir up some excitement during the auction Nov. 10-11 in Lexington, KY.

Founded in the Canadian Province of Ontario by the late E.P. Taylor in 1936, Windfields has produced nearly 50 champions and more than 360 stakes winners. Included in that group was Northern Dancer, the 1964 Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner whose success as a sire has had an indelible effect on international breeding over the past four decades. Taylor became the first Canadian member of The Jockey Club in 1953 and was honored with Eclipse Awards as outstanding breeder in 1977 and 1983. His son, Charles P.B. Taylor, took over operations in 1980 and continued until his death in 1997. Judith Taylor Mappin, Taylor’s daughter, is serving as farm president until the operation’s closure following the sale.

"It's bittersweet to disperse at any time of course, but this is the decision that was made and we have to try and make the most of it in a very tough market," said Simon Cassidy, Windfield's director of operations. "Hopefully, the few higher end lots will make up for the mid and lower end, which as we've seen in the past year will most likely sell for significantly less than they would have two years ago."
Of the farm's nine mares and four weanlings that are cataloged, two of the biggest sale standouts are the Hennessy mare Sweet and Careless (Hip No. 318), and her weanling colt by Elusive Quality (Hip No. 319). Sweet and Careless is a half-sister to dual grade I- winning millionaire Subordination (by Mt. Livermore) and another stakes winner, Domination (by Prized).

Another attractive offering is the Dynaformer mare Barney's Mistress (Hip No. 1108). A $200,000-plus earner during her racing career, Barney’s Mistress is a daughter of the stakes-winning Hail Emperor mare Chief Mistress. Barney’s Mistress’ first foal, a Silver Deputy gelding named
Deputiformer, captured the 2007 Cup and Saucer Stakes on turf at Woodbine and has earned more than $400,000. Barney’s Mistress is currently in foal to Dixie Union, who has sired 11 stakes winners this year, seven of which were graded, including grade I victor Hot Dixie Chick.”

Attachments

• 20210326_190854_resized.jpg
    20210326_190854_resized.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210326_190918_resized.jpg
    20210326_190918_resized.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210326_191044_resized.jpg
    20210326_191044_resized.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210326_191010_resized.jpg
    20210326_191010_resized.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210326_190948_resized.jpg
    20210326_190948_resized.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_2021-03-26 Horse Profile for Barney's Mistress Equibase.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-26 Horse Profile for Barney's Mistress Equibase.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 65
  • WindfieldsMainEntrance.png
    WindfieldsMainEntrance.png
    588.5 KB · Views: 62
  • tilling_a_new_future_on_thefarm.jpeg
    tilling_a_new_future_on_thefarm.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 92
  • the_roadhome.jpeg
    the_roadhome.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 59
  • windfields_farms.jpg
    windfields_farms.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210331_153501_resized.jpg
    20210331_153501_resized.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210331_153127.jpg
    20210331_153127.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210331_070600.jpg
    20210331_070600.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210330_181628_resized.jpg
    20210330_181628_resized.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210330_181551_resized.jpg
    20210330_181551_resized.jpg
    659.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210331_153338_resized.jpg
    20210331_153338_resized.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 20210331_153410_resized.jpg
    20210331_153410_resized.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210331_153219_resized.jpg
    20210331_153219_resized.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210331_153242_resized.jpg
    20210331_153242_resized.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 28

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty cool local history you dug up, AntiQ. You always do such a great job in your posting presentation. I like the idea of you waiting to see what the farm becomes. It would be a neat display if it does become an Info Center.

I hope you and your family are doing well.

Keep on finding the goodies!

~WD

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great article Al, I laughed when I read about the floor boards of the school bus catching on fire. My daughter complains when the air conditioning isn't working on her school bus... my how things have changed. :laughing7:

You're a good person to support your local history museum by donating your finds, it sounds like they're very supportive and appreciate your efforts. As a suggestion, maybe you can offer to volunteer at the museum as a local historian, I can see your knowledge and passion for local history would be helpful to them. :thumbsup:

As far as Windfields Farm goes, I realize that progress will happen whether the public thinks it should or not, my only concern is the lack of effort afforded to sites like this by our province and the developers to preserve even a small portion of its historical significance. Here's a picture of the barn I took in 2014 where Barney's Mistress lived, it was located behind the paddock where I found the I.D. tag.

This building was demolished in 2015.

Dave, thanks for the kudos. Glad you got a chuckle about the article. Mrs. Silver is a real hoot and firecracker. At 102 her mind is a sharp as ever and the school bus story was one of many. If it weren't for her, I would've never found the foundation of the stone house on that old farm, and the 20+ artifacts that came with it.

Besides the display cases, I volunteer for the historical society. Last year I helped clean some grave stones with them. The year before that I manned a veteran's booth for a half day. This fall or winter I may give a presentation to the members and community at large about metal detecting. Will probably give them an overview of the hobby followed by a top 10 list. The Director even asked me to be a board member. That I declined b/c I know from past experience volunteering can become a job - and I retired for a reason :laughing7:

While farms everywhere are being gobbled up for developments, Windfields Farm was not typical, and I agree w/ you it is too bad some portion of it wasn't preserved/re-purposed. The next best thing is to help build a display that can be put up periodically at the local museum, mall, store front, etc. to keep some the history of it alive. Your finds would compliment the photos and other memorabilia.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pretty cool local history you dug up, AntiQ. You always do such a great job in your posting presentation. I like the idea of you waiting to see what the farm becomes. It would be a neat display if it does become an Info Center.

I hope you and your family are doing well.

Keep on finding the goodies!

~WD
Thank you so much for your post and support WD. :hello:
The family is doing well, my daughter is excited about heading to Ottawa for university in September and my wife is driving me crazy with outside chores that need to be done. :laughing7:
The only thing that keeps surprising me, is this little monkey with cold, wet, muddy licks to my toes. :munky2:

How's your Dad doing, well I hope... take care,
Dave

Attachments

• 20210224_162548.jpg
    20210224_162548.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave, thanks for the kudos. Glad you got a chuckle about the article. Mrs. Silver is a real hoot and firecracker. At 102 her mind is a sharp as ever and the school bus story was one of many. If it weren't for her, I would've never found the foundation of the stone house on that old farm, and the 20+ artifacts that came with it.

Besides the display cases, I volunteer for the historical society. Last year I helped clean some grave stones with them. The year before that I manned a veteran's booth for a half day. This fall or winter I may give a presentation to the members and community at large about metal detecting. Will probably give them an overview of the hobby followed by a top 10 list. The Director even asked me to be a board member. That I declined b/c I know from past experience volunteering can become a job - and I retired for a reason :laughing7:

While farms everywhere are being gobbled up for developments, Windfields Farm was not typical, and I agree w/ you it is too bad some portion of it wasn't preserved/re-purposed. The next best thing is to help build a display that can be put up periodically at the local museum, mall, store front, etc. to keep some the history of it alive. Your finds would compliment the photos and other memorabilia.
It sounds like you have a lot on your plate these days Al.
I guess it's a good thing that you're retired and now able to do all of this community work free-of-charge. :laughing7:

I do like your idea to... "help build a display that can be put up periodically at the local museum, mall, store front, etc. to keep some the history of it alive."
If our local government and the developer will just come together and decide if designating space in one of the community buildings is a priority, I'd be happy to donate or loan my finds for display.
Kudos to you as well for offering to "give a presentation to the members and community at large about metal detecting". :occasion14:

Best of luck to you this year Al,
Dave

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like you have a lot on your plate these days Al.
I guess it's a good thing that you're retired and now able to do all of this community work free-of-charge. :laughing7:

I do like your idea to... "help build a display that can be put up periodically at the local museum, mall, store front, etc. to keep some the history of it alive."
If our local government and the developer will just come together and decide if designating space in one of the community buildings is a priority, I'd be happy to donate or loan my finds for display.
Kudos to you as well for offering to "give a presentation to the members and community at large about metal detecting". :occasion14:

Best of luck to you this year Al,
Dave

Dave, in reading your post to WD, it must be exciting time in the household with your daughter going off to college and your dog. Regarding the outside chores, just try to find ones that also require metal detecting. :icon_thumleft:

Good luck to you as well!
Al

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you so much for your post and support WD. :hello:
The family is doing well, my daughter is excited about heading to Ottawa for university in September and my wife is driving me crazy with outside chores that need to be done. :laughing7:
The only thing that keeps surprising me, is this little monkey with cold, wet, muddy licks to my toes. :munky2:

How's your Dad doing, well I hope... take care,
Dave

Ooooooh Oakley! That’s not how girl dogs are supposed to behave! LOL I think you have your hands full, Dave.

My dad is doing good. Thanks for asking. How about your mom? Did she get vaccinated?

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave, in reading your post to WD, it must be exciting time in the household with your daughter going off to college and your dog. Regarding the outside chores, just try to find ones that also require metal detecting. :icon_thumleft:

Good luck to you as well!
Al
Thanks for your response Al. :thumbsup:
Yesterday, I spent 90mins with a farm owner who gave me permission to hunt his c1850 house and property, the gentleman told me this was the mill owners house. The woolen mill is a half mile up the road, it's the building identified on the map below the cemetery with the line through it. This property had three other mill workers buildings located here as well, my only concern is that when the road was widened and improved that everything wasn't removed as well. The property I'll be detecting is in the green section.
Depending on the rain this weekend, I'll hunt here on Friday and on Sunday morning. :hello2:
Dave

very cool finds, thanks for posting
Thank you for taking the time to post BP. :wave:
Best of luck to you in KC,
Dave

Ooooooh Oakley! That’s not how girl dogs are supposed to behave! LOL I think you have your hands full, Dave.

My dad is doing good. Thanks for asking. How about your mom? Did she get vaccinated?
Oakley certainly is a handful, I try to make sure that she either has a rawhide chew or a toy in her mouth, better that then our furniture. :laughing7:
She sticks to me like glue from the time I wake up at 5am until I go to bed.

I'm glad to hear your Dad's doing well, my Mom got her vaccination two weeks ago with no side effects.
Our provincial government is talking about lowering the age of vaccination to 50 years of age, you can bet I'll be getting mine asap.

Great to hear from you WD,
Dave

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-13 Google Maps.png
    Screenshot_2021-04-13 Google Maps.png
    678.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20191006_175016.jpg
    20191006_175016.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 34

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Anti.

The Random Chat Thread Ship is calling ya on the coconut phone.

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, as always it looks like you did your homework! Hope the rain holds off so you can get both mornings in. If push comes to shove you can detect through the gravel in the first picture. Digging will be a pain - but sometimes you can find some good stuff there.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting piece of racing history, thats not an everyday find - congrats.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done Anti.

The Random Chat Thread Ship is calling ya on the coconut phone.
I hear you buddy, unfortunately the line seems to be busy right now. :laughing7:

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    757.2 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave, as always it looks like you did your homework! Hope the rain holds off so you can get both mornings in. If push comes to shove you can detect through the gravel in the first picture. Digging will be a pain - but sometimes you can find some good stuff there.
Thanks for your post and words of support Al.
I called the farmer last night and he said that we're good to go for 8:30am this morning... just as long as I pick him up a medium double double from Tim Hortons. :laughing7:
Dave

Attachments

• d1c959cb4ff380730a3975e05954.jpg
    d1c959cb4ff380730a3975e05954.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting piece of racing history, thats not an everyday find - congrats.
Thanks Cru, I realize that it's only 20 years old, but it's still a piece of our local farm history that was saved before the bulldozers move in.

Hope you're doing well... has your Dad had his Covid vaccination yet? :icon_scratch:
Dave

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Cru, I realize that it's only 20 years old, but it's still a piece of our local farm history that was saved before the bulldozers move in.

Hope you're doing well... has your Dad had his Covid vaccination yet? :icon_scratch:
Dave
Yes first one, not 2nd one, but soon.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used