500 year old, hammered British coin. - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree199Likes

Thread: 500 year old, hammered British coin.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    beachcomber, treasure hunter, fisherman

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    Mine lab primary fisher secondary
    46821 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (3)
    Amazing.....ill vote banner too....and found in Ohio!! Geez thats cool !!
    dirtdigginfool likes this.
    wahoo caught in bahamas

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    81351 times
    Looks like a Holy Groat ! ! ! and in Ohio ? ? ?

:/

Gotta love TreasureNet... What i see equals...

BANNER !
    Last edited by AARC; Apr 06, 2021 at 03:39 AM.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread -http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

us
    Jan 2015
    Morris County, NJ
    Minelab Equinox 800 XP Deus
    1649 times
    Metal Detecting
    Congrats on the find DDF! That's gotta be a banner find! (Though I hope Jeff In PA or one of the other moderators can help you change the title of the post...I didn't look at it initially due to the title.)
    - Brian

us
    Mar 2014
    south central ohio
    At Pro At Max
    4832 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    unlike A2coins, I think it's pretty Cool , Even in that "Hammered" Condition ! Congrats !

a2_ just messin ! because imo sick is one of the worst words in the english language for that Meaning to be used.
    personally I'd like to slap whoever sent that in to urban Dictionary & Slap them for printing it

I imagine if I tell them Car means Door they will print it.
    Jeff in Pa, thanks for looking. It has all sunk in now, it appears this is a 500 year old, hammered British coin. Could you please help me change the title of my post to indicate this? Rather than “silver taco”?... I thank you in advance for your assistance. Respectfully, Ddf Scott.
    jeff of pa and AARC like this.

us
    Mar 2014
    south central ohio
    At Pro At Max
    4832 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blak bart View Post
    Amazing.....ill vote banner too....and found in Ohio!! Geez thats cool !!
    Thanks, Blak Bart...I very much appreciate the nod... yep, found in a very unassuming cornfield in Ohio. The next day I pulled a beauty of an 1834 Capped Bust half dime, approximately 150 yards from where I pulled this hammered. It shouldn’t have been there, no noise, no iron... whisper quiet. Was simply walking back to the truck as we’re investigating every part of this permission. I’ve stopped trying to figure out how/why/when this hammered coin from England arrived in my cornfield, like Crusader says, just be happy that I found it. Thx for looking, Ddf. P.S., luv that fish, btw.

us
    Mar 2014
    south central ohio
    At Pro At Max
    4832 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc053 View Post
    Congrats on the find DDF! That's gotta be a banner find! (Though I hope Jeff In PA or one of the other moderators can help you change the title of the post...I didn't look at it initially due to the title.)
    - Brian
    Thank Brian, I do very much appreciate the kind words. I’ve reached out, we’ll see how it works out. At the time I posted this coin, I had not realized it’s significance until Crusader stepped in. Wow... for someone who’s not found a coin from the 1700’s... I blew right past that. Thanks again, Ddf.
    eyemustdigtreasure likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    81351 times
    post edited... corrected from goat. :P
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread -http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdigginfool View Post
    Thanks, Blak Bart...I very much appreciate the nod... yep, found in a very unassuming cornfield in Ohio. The next day I pulled a beauty of an 1834 Capped Bust half dime, approximately 150 yards from where I pulled this hammered. It shouldn’t have been there, no noise, no iron... whisper quiet. Was simply walking back to the truck as we’re investigating every part of this permission. I’ve stopped trying to figure out how/why/when this hammered coin from England arrived in my cornfield, like Crusader says, just be happy that I found it. Thx for looking, Ddf. P.S., luv that fish, btw.
    I have 1 theory. It's not that worn, so it wasn't in circulation for much more than 50 years.
    So it's unlikely to have stayed in circulation until it was brought over to the States.
    Which suggests to me it was either put away for a long time or maybe more likely it was lost 50 years after minting. Found by a detectorist & brought over to the US or purchased from a detectorist or old coin collection.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    Have pleasant times finding pleasant things. 17/01/21
    I open my prezzies out of lumps of mud. 02/10/19
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    81351 times
    This is the coin I always pictured retrieving from a CoinStar machine return tray one day.

For... i thought this was the only real chance of finding one here. heh

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    44568 times
    Relic Hunting
    Congrats on the hammered silver, it's just one of those finds where so many queries come up on how it rested in a field in your parts. The main thing is it's all yours now-big congrats.
    I've seen some pretty bent/cracked/torn silvers and golds (before/after pictures) that have been annealed, straightened, amazing what a good jeweller can do-that knows what they're doing.
    "If it was easy-It would have already been done-Life 101."
    “I treat the outside world as one raw very warm wet chicken that has sitting out too long. wash and sterilize everything me touches.” — pepperj

us
    Mar 2014
    south central ohio
    At Pro At Max
    4832 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUSADER View Post
    I have 1 theory. It's not that worn, so it wasn't in circulation for much more than 50 years.
    So it's unlikely to have stayed in circulation until it was brought over to the States.
    Which suggests to me it was either put away for a long time or maybe more likely it was lost 50 years after minting. Found by a detectorist & brought over to the US or purchased from a detectorist or old coin collection.
    Probably one of the more probable scenarios I’ve heard or thought about. Cru, this is going out on a limb here, and involves additional research on my part. BUT... many years ago on Halloween (my wife reminded me of this), we took a midnight “haunted” tour of one of the oldest cemeteries in our area. In one of the furthest corners in one of the oldest parts of said cemetery, our guides told us of English buried here, of possible royal heritage... name “Tudor”, and actually lived on the road where this cornfield is... Would it be silly to think there might actually be a connection? I need to research and maybe find more out about these people. Thank you for the insight. Ddf. P.S., nothing else found here would indicate or point to wealthy or relatives of the Throne were at this site.
    Last edited by dirtdigginfool; Apr 06, 2021 at 05:14 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    BP Lover

Dec 2020
    Kansas City
    Nokta Macro Simplex
    410 times
    Metal Detecting
    holy cow, amazing! thanks for posting and big time gratz.........

us
    Mar 2014
    south central ohio
    At Pro At Max
    4832 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by toasted View Post
    Its definitely a hammered English silver. The side folded in would tell which monarch you have. Cant tell from the pic but definitely late 16th to mid 17th century
    Hi Toasted, thanks very much for the input, very much appreciated! This thing was only pulled from the dirt because it was a repeatable signal. 39-40 on my At Max, bouncy, scratchy... and that’s what we were doing, as long it didn’t grunt and was repeatable. Next we are going to go after the iron signals, and there is a lot, just in case something is laying on edge or being masked. Thx again, Ddf.

us
    Mar 2014
    south central ohio
    At Pro At Max
    4832 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunk-a-lead View Post
    holy cow, amazing! thanks for posting and big time gratz.........
    Thx, hunk-a-lead... was my pleasure lol. Was a bummer that I didn’t get to scratch something off of my bucket list, as 16th century hammered silver wasn’t really on there. Ddf.
    Noah_D and eyemustdigtreasure like this.

us
    Mar 2014
    south central ohio
    At Pro At Max
    4832 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by AARC View Post
    This is the coin I always pictured retrieving from a CoinStar machine return tray one day.

For... i thought this was the only real chance of finding one here. heh
    Thx AARC, looking back, I guess it would be more probable finding one of these in a Coinstar than in an Ohio cornfield lol.. Surely a surprise for me... now every time I go out I have to try to top THAT! The absolutely stunning Capped half dime I found the next day kinda paled in comparison lol... Thx for looking, Ddf.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links