Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back a few days ago to the "honey hole" I found the bottles dating 1870 ish to around 1900 back in December. Not wanting to really detect that day, I opted to redig the hole, hoping I had missed something. I had.

IMG_2771.JPG

The first little bottle on the left is probably on opium bottle, ca 1880. The second bottle has a nice finished pontil scar and hand finished neck, so probably a perfume bottle ca 1870. The third bottle is kind of odd. It has a twist lock kind of closure, so maybe for cold cream or something like that which doesn't have to have an air tight seal. if you have seen a bottle like this one, please let me know on dating it. It was toward the top of the ground, so it is ca 1900? The last one is a Bixby Ink ca 1883. Thanks for looking.

Also happiness is being friends with the landowner. He kindly filled the hole for me!

IMG_2750.JPG And yes, this is Miss Buff on a leash. IMG_2744.JPG

And don't tell anyone this is the FOURTH time I had dug in this hole. The glass is now very, very scattered, not at all like in the beginning.

Last edited:
Upvote 22

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back a few days ago to the "honey hole" I found the bottles dating 1870 ish to around 1900 back in December. Not wanting to really detect that day, I opted to redig the hole, hoping I had missed something. I had.

View attachment 1915664

The first little bottle on the left is probably on opium bottle, ca 1880. The second bottle has a nice finished pontil scar and hand finished neck, so probably a perfume bottle ca 1870. The third bottle is kind of odd. It has a twist lock kind of closure, so maybe for cold cream or something like that which doesn't have to have an air tight seal. if you have seen a bottle like this one, please let me know on dating it. It was toward the top of the ground, so it is ca 1900? The last one is a Bixby Ink ca 1883. Thanks for looking.

Also happiness is being friends with the landowner. He kindly filled the hole for me!

View attachment 1915666 And yes, this is Miss Buff on a leash. View attachment 1915667

And don't tell anyone this is the FOURTH time I had dug in this hole. The glass is now very, very scattered, not at all like in the beginning.

image-2021-04-25-19:00:02-983.JPG

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You find some great things, Smokeythecat! I may try bottle digging but it looks a ltlle daunting with so many bottles in a dump, broken glass...and older ones I am guessing are on the bottom of a pile? Any suggestions for attempting a bottle dig recovery?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Underwonder, we knew there was a house there - somewhere. My friend Tommy kept getting a large iron target (was about 2' deep) and he could tell it was not a cannon ball, so he decided to give up digging but told me there was a good deal of glass in the hole. So the next time I was out I decided to dig it up. Out back or down slope of an old house is where they generally put the stuff. I haven't actively searched for them.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
smokeythececided to dig it up. Out back or down slope of an old house is where they generally put the stuff. I haven't actively searched for them.[/QUOTE said:
at;6748397]Underwonder, we knew there was a house there - somewhere. My friend Tommy kept getting a large iron target (was about 2' deep) and he could tell it was not a cannon ball, so he decided to give up digging but told me there was a good deal of glass in the hole. So the next time I was out I d have buried it when we built our house

Thanks for your insight. I live on an old homesite and never found the dumpsite...but we may have buried it when excavating and building our home. I wasn’t a detectorist then.

Another farm owner has offered that we can check their known dumpsite. It looks like bottles from the 50s but the site is from the 1700s so wonder where the old bottles are...multiple dumpsites? buried under visible bottles?

Thanks. Happy hunting.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People don't change much. I'd dig out the 1950's ones and see what's under that.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smokey, I totally misspelled that glue/2part stuff. hxtal is the proper spelling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread