[BANNER] Amazing old gold ring! - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree292Likes

Thread: Amazing old gold ring!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2009
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
    3459 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Congrats on finding such a beautiful ring, and for the banner. That is a special ring for sure.

us
    beachcomber, treasure hunter, fisherman

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    Mine lab primary fisher secondary
    46821 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (3)
    Wooo hooo....nice work, nice assist by cru, redcoat and the rest, and definitely banner worthy...congrats on such a great recovery !!
    wahoo caught in bahamas

Dec 2012
    151 times
    Congrats on that find! That is one of the most beautiful gold rings I have ever seen. I had no idea they made such things hundreds and hundreds of years ago. Just a splendid ring.

fi
    Oct 2019
    Finland
    XP Deus with 11" 35XP coil
    738 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Thank you to everyone for congrats and banner! This is so amazing find, I have been going through history books and tried to find out the story of this ring and I think I got lucky and found out the original owner of this ring! It's not 100% sure yet but quite close. And no, Frodo didn't lost his ring in Finland

So, there is no stamps inside the ring, not any kind of. There is just initials, NLSQ and SCDF. I found out that in my town, there has been chaplain Abraham Qvist, he was chaplain during 1701-1722. His parents were Nils LarsSon Qvist and Sara ChristiansDotter. Does that ring the bell? I believe that this ring has been Abrahams mourning ring, for the memory of his parents. Only missing clue is that I haven't found his mothers last name from any documents. But I will keep on searching! I also found one source which told that someone robbed Abraham during The Great Northern War. Russians occupied this town and lots of people ran away to Sweden, included Abraham and his family, this happened on 1714. He came back 1721 and died here 1722. I'm still trying to find documents of that robbery, how amazing it would be if there is a comment about this ring!
    Please visit youtube and subscribe my metal detecting youtube channel:Metaldetecting videos

- 4 Mark silver coin - Karl IX 1605
    - 4 Mark silver klipping coin 1571
    - 1 Hvid silver coin - Christian I 1448 - 1481
    - 2 öre silver coin 1573
    - 2 öre silver coin 1591

us
    beachcomber, treasure hunter, fisherman

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    Mine lab primary fisher secondary
    46821 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsundi View Post
    Thank you to everyone for congrats and banner! This is so amazing find, I have been going through history books and tried to find out the story of this ring and I think I got lucky and found out the original owner of this ring! It's not 100% sure yet but quite close. And no, Frodo didn't lost his ring in Finland

So, there is no stamps inside the ring, not any kind of. There is just initials, NLSQ and SCDF. I found out that in my town, there has been chaplain Abraham Qvist, he was chaplain during 1701-1722. His parents were Nils LarsSon Qvist and Sara ChristiansDotter. Does that ring the bell? I believe that this ring has been Abrahams mourning ring, for the memory of his parents. Only missing clue is that I haven't found his mothers last name from any documents. But I will keep on searching! I also found one source which told that someone robbed Abraham during The Great Northern War. Russians occupied this town and lots of people ran away to Sweden, included Abraham and his family, this happened on 1714. He came back 1721 and died here 1722. I'm still trying to find documents of that robbery, how amazing it would be if there is a comment about this ring!
    That would be an incredible discovery.....amazing that you might be able to track the owner back hundreds of years...great work with the research !! Congrats again !!
    wahoo caught in bahamas

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    44572 times
    Relic Hunting

First let me say: Huge congrats again on the incredible recovery and the well placed Banner.
    Well done on the research so far on the ring-wow! I wonder if this was a hidden treasured piece or just a lost in flight/or from pillaging of the home?
    Best of luck with the rest of the research.
    Question Do you have to report the finding of the ring/like the PAS in England-is there treasure laws in Finland? Or is it a finders keepers item?
    "If it was easy-It would have already been done-Life 101."
    “I treat the outside world as one raw very warm wet chicken that has sitting out too long. wash and sterilize everything me touches.” — pepperj

fi
    Oct 2019
    Finland
    738 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperj View Post
    Question Do you have to report the finding of the ring/like the PAS in England-is there treasure laws in Finland? Or is it a finders keepers item?
    We need to report every piece over 100 years old to Finnish National Museum. Then they will tell if you need to send it to their collection or can you keep it on yourself. I just got answer about this ring that at least they want me to send it to museum but it's not sure yet if they will keep it or will they send it back to me.
    Please visit youtube and subscribe my metal detecting youtube channel:Metaldetecting videos

- 2 öre silver coin 1573
    - 2 öre silver coin 1591

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    44572 times
    Relic Hunting
    We need to report every piece over 100 years old to Finnish National Museum. Then they will tell if you need to send it to their collection or can you keep it on yourself. I just got answer about this ring that at least they want me to send it to museum but it's not sure yet if they will keep it or will they send it back to me.
    Do they purchase/reward the finder as in Britain if the item is kept?
    "If it was easy-It would have already been done-Life 101."
    “I treat the outside world as one raw very warm wet chicken that has sitting out too long. wash and sterilize everything me touches.” — pepperj

us
    Sep 2020
    Oklahoma
    19 times
    And no, Frodo didn't lost his ring in Finland
    That did cross my mind!
    Ramsundi and ArfieBoy like this.

fi
    Oct 2019
    Finland
    738 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperj View Post
    Do they purchase/reward the finder as in Britain if the item is kept?
    Yes, they give some kind of compensation for the items they keep.

- 2 öre silver coin 1573
    - 2 öre silver coin 1591

Charter Member
    ca
    Detect everyday like it's the last day of the season!

Apr 2010
    Upper Canada
    XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
    20241 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Congratulations on your beautiful gold ring find Ramsundi.
    Great work on achieving your first BANNER on Tnet as well.

Dave
    ArfieBoy and Jose The Goon like this.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

― John Wayne

us
    Apr 2020
    Northwest
    Tesoro compadre, which can find needles, but looking for something with a bigger coil/detects deeper, waterproof salt/fresh user friendly.
    1057 times
    Metal Detecting
    Have you tried it on?
    That's a work of art...beautiful!
    Oh I see you did...banner for me too...
    Last edited by Coinstar magnet; Apr 06, 2021 at 08:36 PM.
    ArfieBoy and ANTIQUARIAN like this.
    "It's not just good it's good enough!"

Crusty the Clown

us
    "Call me ArfieBoy"

Aug 2011
    N.E. Oregon
    Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
    2162 times
    Fantastic, beautiful ring find! Looks like you have a great history of the ring and owners. Congratulations! Thanks for posting!
    ANTIQUARIAN and Jose The Goon like this.

us
    Jan 2007
    Lafayette, Georgia
    Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+ Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
    420 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Very beautiful. Congratulations
    ANTIQUARIAN and Jose The Goon like this.
    The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything. Theodore Roosevelt

us
    Wood Butcher

Apr 2013
    Indian River Co., Fl
    AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
    2030 times
    That is a beautiful ring and thanks for the story and history about it.

Congrats on your first banner.
    Jose The Goon likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links