2nd career bust half

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is one of the nicest coins I have ever found. I rank it #2.

Hit a new site today, with an old school and some old ballfields, and I expected a 30s-40s kind of silver site.

But no silvers on the ballfields or around the school building, but the site has a large amount of fields, so I wandered them a while. Hit some old targets like an unidentifiable copper (I think it is a KG II), a shoe buckle, and some tack, and a beautiful 06-48 to 08-48 on the E-Trac in a remote corner of one of the fields, near the end of the day, and there she was.

Its one of the weird 3 varieties for that date, not sure which one, but I think the "patched 3".

I haven't found many silvers yet this year, but some of the ones I have found have been memorable.

HH everyone

Attachments

• 040621.jpg
    040621.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 45

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoa....such a beautiful coin.... I was fortunate to find one several years ago. Oddly enough, it was on a ballfield. You just can't predict. Congrats!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on such a beautiful coin. I'm surprised how many Capped Bust Halves I see posted, more than Seated for sure.
I'm even more surprised I haven't found one yet :dontknow:

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! That thing is AWESOME!

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. That is beautiful!!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Done Congratulations you definitely did fantastic here

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin!! I happen to stumble across an 1825 Capped half last year.... was not expecting that! Congrats on your stunning new half, Ddf.

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CONGRATS !!!MAGNIFICENT !!!!!!!!!!!

" Its one of the weird 3 varieties for that date, not sure which one, but I think the "patched 3".

I'm sure all would agree that any old silver half is a joy to find, but your find is one of the "special" kind.
I always like to leave no stone unturned when it comes to old coins, ESPECIALLY those that have a handful of varieties like yours. It would nice to read others' opinions on this variety.
Upon close inspection, I believe that it might be "possible" that your coin is an undiscovered variety.
( I'm just saying "possibly" ). Further opinions are warranted & welcomed. It appears the "3" on your coin has a "break" on the top of the arc that the other varieties don't have. Also, the little "tit" that sticks out to the west in the middle
of the "3" seems to also have a "break" and is angled downward more than the other varieties.

Whatever comes to be, your coin definitely is one hell of a find in that condition. Now, if you can go out & find its'
younger sibling, the 1823/2 Quarter, you'll become my hero!!! There were only 17,800 minted & there are very few in the condition your coin is in known to exist. Big bucks for the 1823 Q-Piece !! Below is a comparison chart of the different
varieties to compare with your coin. I hope yours is a new, unique variety. CHEERS !! J.T.G.
Click on image to enlarge & make more clear.
1823 comparison#4.png

Last edited:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
First off, what a great looking coin!
Congrats on your find
Secondly theres lots of funky varieties of the 1823..some a worth beaucoup bucks, you might have a chunk of change there..excuse the pun lol

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No exaggeration that is the most beautiful capped half I've ever seen posted here! Congrats on a great find!

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off, what a great looking coin!
Congrats on your find
Secondly theres lots of funky varieties of the 1823..some a worth beaucoup bucks, you might have a chunk of change there..excuse the pun lol

I totally agree with you ! I just edited my earlier post. "malenkai" could use some more opinions on this.
"..... you might have a chunk of change there...." That's for sure !!! It would be great.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If thats number 2, can we see number 1?? Must be a beauty

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely Absolutely Absolutely beautiful coin!!! As a matter fact it’s so perfect I feel that it deserves a BANNER

CONGRATULATIONS

OP
OP
malenkai

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If thats number 2, can we see number 1?? Must be a beauty

My avatar coin, 1800 half dime VF/XF give or take.

Upon close inspection, I believe that it might be "possible" that your coin is an undiscovered variety.

I dunno. I've attached a close up picture of the date, but taken in low light conditions. I'm not really an expert on these sorts of things, but I do intend
to get the coin slabbed. If you see an unknown variety, I'd obviously be interested.

040621z.jpg

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!!! So Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My avatar coin, 1800 half dime VF/XF give or take.

I dunno. I've attached a close up picture of the date, but taken in low light conditions. I'm not really an expert on these sorts of things, but I do intend
to get the coin slabbed. If you see an unknown variety, I'd obviously be interested.

View attachment 1916316
Now it looks different. I think I mistook some dirt in your original pic for breaks etc. Sorry. I read too much into it.
Great coin nonetheless. Congrats !

Attachments

• Bust Half date.png
    Bust Half date.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 27

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread