Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least it is for my wife, myself, and our 2 kids who check them on a regular basis. My wife spied a few coins in the tray from the register she was checking out at. When she got there, she could see it was full. She grabbed one of the plastic grocery bags, and began pulling the coins out. She said it was so backed up, that they just kept coming. She said she almost stopped, as all of the coins seemed to have some sort of oil on them, and it smelled. (The poor dear was getting her hands dirty) ! You can see the oil residue on the paper bag. Near as I can figure, the coins were either deposited and rejected because of the oil, or there was some sort of machine malfunction. Anyway, she ended up with 23 Copper pennies (one was a Wheat) 86 Zinc pennies, 29 Nickels, 40 Dimes, and 49 Quarters, for a total of 227 coins totaling $18.79 ! I rinsed them in a container with Dawn soap, and then tumbled them. Good as new, and ready to spend ! Gonna be a long time before myself or my kids break this record.

Attachments

• coinstar2.JPG
    coinstar2.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 101
  • coinstar.JPG
    coinstar.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Upvote 40

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That's incredible!

It has been a number of years since I scored at a Coinstar - but I do check every visit...

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sweet, way to pay attention wifey!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Exact same thing happened to me once, but it was only $11 or so
Oily nasty mess on every coin.
I wonder what the bank thought?:icon_scratch:

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible you are very lucky indeed,,perhaps get a few lottery tickets also

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iโ€™ve only ever found less than a dollar in clad, nothing good

Armstrong

Apr 24, 2020
Jurassic Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing that weighs the coins sometimes gets messed up so it rejects most or everything. Lucky us that find it when its out of order.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I go to check the coin stars my wife walks off like she doesn't know me! I had one person ask me why I took the coins from the machine. I told them the original owner abandoned them, coin star rejected them and they didn't belong to the store anymore than a coin laying on the floor or in the parking lot. As for what I do with them, I put them in a jar with what ever pocket change I have and every year around Thanksgiving I count, roll them, and take them to the bank. Usually I might get around $50.00. I add to whatever amount I have to get to $150.00 then I go to local stores and buy toys for under privileged children. I donate them at a local charity car show.

OP
OP
Trezurehunter

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
227 coins rejected? How does the depositer not hear this (or care)??? :icon_scratch:
It may not have had anything to do with the person who deposited the coins, if it was a machine malfunction. In addition, because every coin was covered by some sort of oil, if they did fall thru when being deposited, the person may not have even heard them hit the tray or each other. The oil would have muffled the normal "click click" you hear in the tray as they fall. My wife said she could clearly see a small "puddle" of oil on the bottom of the tray when she pulled out the last few coins. Kind of like we metal detecting hobbyists asking ourselves why we just dug a Barber Half Dollar in a baseball field that has only been there for 10 years. We'll just never know.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes great score

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well Done on the Coinstar Cache. Congrat's to both your wife and yourself. That is what I call an "Eagle Eye".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread