NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, all.
I found this yesterday. I thought that I could read a date of 1867 but now I can’t see any date at all. The vertical bars on the shield (photo included for reference) seem to be about 15 degrees from true vertical. Any thoughts?
HH
dts 558A8D4B-84E7-4CA1-B4EC-282C12F79516.jpeg

Upvote 10

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caused from the damage and bend in the coin? Coin is bent where the edge shows damage too, correct?

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations well done .these are so so hard to find ..stay safe out there

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Caused from the damage and bend in the coin? Coin is bent where the edge shows damage too, correct?

Coin doesn’t appear to be bent AT ALL. It lies (lays) perfectly flat. I noticed the scratch too. Planchette deformation?
dts

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, congratulations on finding a 2 cent piece; they’re difficult to come by. Second, I wouldn’t read too much into the orientation of the bars. The coin is toast, and that can create all sorts of imaginary configurations.

aj

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
First, congratulations on finding a 2 cent piece; they’re difficult to come by. Second, I wouldn’t read too much into the orientation of the bars. The coin is toast, and that can create all sorts of imaginary configurations.

aj

Thanks, aj.
This one isn’t nearly as toasted as the few coppers I have found. Real heartbreakers. I guess it goes with the territory - acidic soil plus years and years of fertilizer equal toasted coins. In fact, I’m pretty sure that it vaporizes gold completely. That would explain why I have never found any! :BangHead:
dts

Colonial Digger

May 6, 2019
illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, for many of my completely toasted coins, you can choose not to or try it i take a finger nail file and slowly sand the surface and the date and details come back to at least get a date and on some blank coppers i am able to get full ID, just what i do for some of my completely toasted ones.

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find, for many of my completely toasted coins, you can choose not to or try it i take a finger nail file and slowly sand the surface and the date and details come back to at least get a date and on some blank coppers i am able to get full ID, just what i do for some of my completely toasted ones.

Thanks, I may as well give that a try as the coin has no value in its present condition. Either way, it’ll go into my limited collection of old coins which I have recovered. That entire group will probably someday be sold for $5 at a tag sale after I’m busy detecting in the “next place”. :laughing7:
dts

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find- Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread