Finally made it into the silver dollar club!

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20210407_192749.jpg
    20210407_192749.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210407_192714.jpg
    20210407_192714.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 75
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just incredible man just incredible Iโ€™m genuinely happy for you that is an amazing property for you. Keep them coming

Truth, I'll keep trying.

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find, gives me hope, got over 20 years in too, but no silver dollar, she's a beauty

caretaker, yes they (SDs) are still out there. Keep on keeping on.:hello:

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave, you're too modest.:occasion14: You find some really neat stuff and do a good job tying it to the history of the property.
Thank you so much for the compliment my friend. :D
I feel that if we don't at least attempt to tell the story behind the finds, then they're just that... 'finds'.

Take your '22 Peace Dollar find for example, I like to imagine how/why it was lost in that particular spot.
It has considerable wear on it, so it was probably a late loss in the 1940s or 50s.
The wear could also be consistent with a freshwater beach find in the sand. :icon_scratch:

Who knows, but you found it and that's all that really matters.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations invet4hir! That sure would be a rush. Geesh, itโ€™s hard to imagine someone loosing a large coin. I hope you and yours are well and have a great detecting season. Youโ€™re off to a great start!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the sweet looking piece of silver, must of been a rush seeing it in the dirt.:occasion14:
I'm just sore after 5 decades of carrying the SD monkey around on my back. :laughing7:

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for the compliment my friend. :D
I feel that if we don't at least attempt to tell the story behind the finds, then they're just that... 'finds'.

Take your '22 Peace Dollar find for example, I like to imagine how/why it was lost in that particular spot.
It has considerable wear on it, so it was probably a late loss in the 1940s or 50s.
The wear could also be consistent with a freshwater beach find in the sand. :icon_scratch:

Who knows, but you found it and that's all that really matters.

Dave, I also like to imagine the circumstances it was lost. At one point that spot was in the front yard near the original driveway - so it might have slipped out of someone's pocket when they were getting their keys. Must've broken someone's heart to realize it was gone.

Before detecting that day, I told the property owner and his son that I spend about an hour researching the site before arriving. Originally a log cabin was built in about 1805. Around 1820 a frame home was built around the log cabin. I showed them the house on an aerial photo taken in 1949 & on a 19th C atlas. After the farm was converted to a subdivision the driveway and front of the home were re-located to the opposite side. All this is good to know, as one can picture where activity occurred in the yard.

Plan to go back this week. Hoping to find a piece of the still once used by the man who built the log cabin. That will certainly have a story to tell.

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations invet4hir! That sure would be a rush. Geesh, itโ€™s hard to imagine someone loosing a large coin. I hope you and yours are well and have a great detecting season. Youโ€™re off to a great start!

WannaDig3687, thanks for the congrats, and yes rush is an understatement. Hope your season is successful as well:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the sweet looking piece of silver, must of been a rush seeing it in the dirt.:occasion14:
I'm just sore after 5 decades of carrying the SD monkey around on my back. :laughing7:

pepperj, thanks so much. Hope this is your year to find 2 silver dollars!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool I've only ever found 1 a Morgan glad to see that added to your collection hope theres alot more on the way
Congrats

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool I've only ever found 1 a Morgan glad to see that added to your collection hope theres alot more on the way
Congrats

A2coins, thanks and I hope there is a lot more on the way for you too!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31โ€ Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Niiicccccccce!!!!!!!!! Did your hearing come back yet? Thatโ€™s a beauty, congrats

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Niiicccccccce!!!!!!!!! Did your hearing come back yet? Thatโ€™s a beauty, congrats

Joe-Dirt, what did you say? Still can't hear. Thought it was all the rock music and tracked vehicles I used to work on for Uncle Sam. Seriously, thanks a bunch!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave, I also like to imagine the circumstances it was lost. At one point that spot was in the front yard near the original driveway - so it might have slipped out of someone's pocket when they were getting their keys. Must've broken someone's heart to realize it was gone.

Before detecting that day, I told the property owner and his son that I spend about an hour researching the site before arriving. Originally a log cabin was built in about 1805. Around 1820 a frame home was built around the log cabin. I showed them the house on an aerial photo taken in 1949 & on a 19th C atlas. After the farm was converted to a subdivision the driveway and front of the home were re-located to the opposite side. All this is good to know, as one can picture where activity occurred in the yard.

Plan to go back this week. Hoping to find a piece of the still once used by the man who built the log cabin. That will certainly have a story to tell.
What a great story, you should've told this in the original post of your thread. :thumbsup:
Depending on how interested the landowner is in the history of the property, I'll often print a copy of the old map on 'parchment looking' paper. I'll then put it in an affordable frame from Walmart and present it to the landowner. This goes a long way to getting me new permissions, because now you've got a new ally.

Look forward to seeing more of your finds from this site.
Dave

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great story, you should've told this in the original post of your thread. :thumbsup:
Depending on how interested the landowner is in the history of the property, I'll often print a copy of the old map on 'parchment looking' paper. I'll then put it in an affordable frame from Walmart and present it to the landowner. This goes a long way to getting me new permissions, because now you've got a new ally.

Look forward to seeing more of your finds from this site.
Dave

Dave, good advice as always. As Paul Harvey used to say "now for the rest of the story". After introducing myself, I showed the owner his home in the history book and discussed its provenance. He knew some, but not all, so I offered to let him scan it. After talking with his son - I gladly gave him the printouts of the aerial photos & atlas.

Other than the silver dollar, I know the owner hasn't been impressed w/ the finds thus far. He does appreciate me taking the time to show his son our hobby and letting him use my spare detector. That promotes detecting and get a new ally:hello2:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread