Cache Find

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lifted a couple of porch boards up of an old feed store and found a bunch of coins. 2 hours of fun brought out 28 quarters, 6 dimes, 6 nickels, 1 Chinese coin, and misc pennies. No silver or wheaties but still a lot of fun. I'm thinking this was someone's cache---either forgotten about or owner died. I don't think they are coins randomly dropped by customers between the boards because there are too many of them and too many in one spot--but I could be wrong. HH.
Cache 1.jpg Cache 2.jpg Cache 3.jpg Cache 4.jpg Cache 5.jpg

Upvote 33

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great detective work to uncover them. Nice Haul!

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A relative of mine used to stash his money under the porch of his house... it was on a hill and the money was all the way at the back where there was less than a foot between the ground and the boards. Most of it was gone by the time I got there but young me (maybe 8-12 y/o?) scrambled up in there with a rake and flashlight and ended up with a few handfuls of change and some really dirty clothes! Sorry for hijacking your thread :laughing7:... it's weird the memories a picture of something as simple as the dirt underneath a porch can bring back haha.

Nice job!

Last edited:

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This reminds me of “Paint Your Wagon”.

Ed T

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not thinking cache on this one, but still good thinking on finding them. Easily that many coins could be lost over time. I've found way more under counters of shops than that.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why are there so many more quarters than others(dimes, nickels, etc)? That's what leads me to think this is a cache. I also forgot to add 7 quarters to my count which I found on the first trip to the feed store. These were found just outside the last board(not underneath).

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find! What was the newest date? It would be hard to drop a coin through a crack? Was there ever a fending machine on that porch ?

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Crusader , dropped thru the cracks over time . maybe there were chairs or a bench out front that put people in a position to loose their pocket change. I was on a dig in downtown Fredericksburg Va where the floor boards were removed ,not only coins but civil war and civilian buttons as well.
Great recovery on your part.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once tore an original front porch off a 1920 built home before it was demolished......just to detect under it. And after hours of my hard work (using only hand tools and prybars) I got not one red cent. So I think you did way better than me. Still can't figure out how no coins were below my old porch with wide enough gaps for it to be so. So goes the life of a treasure hunter......

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my opinion, but I agree with Crusader and Ticndig. I think they were dropped over time, unless they were consolidated or piled into one area. Either way, that had to be extremely exciting.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps the spill location was where the shopkeeper kept a sitting chair.....

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
We took apart an old pressure treated deck from a boathouse that had a pay window over it. Over 78 dollars in coins between the joist in the gravel . Mostly quarters with dimes, nickels, and pennies. That deck was probably there about 10-15 years before we demolished it. Its amazing what people drop and don't see, especially if there is a line and talking chatter :icon_thumleft: Paul:coffee2:

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find! What was the newest date? It would be hard to drop a coin through a crack? Was there ever a fending machine on that porch ?

Not sure what the newest one is, but I'll check. And that's a great point about the vending machine. That makes sense with one naturally pulling out quarters and accidentally dropping one through the cracks. If this happened over several years, that would explain the accumulation of quarters and lesser so of dimes and nickels. Thanks for your reply.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
dad told me that in the 1920's when the town replaced the wooden sidewalks in his small S Idaho town, he went behind them and found a fortune...(for a kid)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread