Today's finds: two ticks (be careful out there!)

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. Be careful and avoid ticks!
This is a public service announcement that the ticks are back, and we should all take the normal precautions against them. It's easy to forget to protect ourselves in the excitement of a new digging/exploring season. The backstory:
--------------------------
Yesterday I dragged my teenage son out of bed at 9AM for a hike into the woods behind our house (more on that in a moment). We know there are ticks in the woods and we take all the normal precautions:
- long pants and sleeves, no skin showing
- bug repellant (I hadn't applied permethrin yet so we used Deep Woods off yesterday)
- clothes off when we get home
- check each other, shower then check each other again.

Even after all that my son found one tick crawling on his back and got rid of it.
The second tick managed to bite/attach a few hours after the hike; we got it off and put antibiotic ointment on the bite (though it was a large tick and only attached for a short time, so very low/zero chance of Lyme).
I was lucky and haven't found any on me. My son had a good explanation for that: we were metal detecting in the woods, and my job is to swing the detector and dig the initial hole, while my son uses the pinpointer and Lesche to recover the target. That puts him closer to the ground/brush for longer periods than me.

The reason we were detecting this area is that it had an old village of about 5 houses back in the 1800's and early 1900's. It's about a mile hike from the house into a "preserve" that surrounds a drinking water reservoir. The reservoir was created in the 1920's by flooding the valley, resulting in those homesites being abandoned; there are the typical stone foundations that you'd expect to find in an area like this.

Why haven't we detected here before? Ticks. And the pack of coyotes that live in the preserve. And the black bear(s) that are in the area. Given all that, there have just been easier places to detect. But when I asked my son where he wanted to detect yesterday he said, "the preserve" - so we hiked.

What did we find? Across two trips (I went once by myself) we've found:
- a nice selection of buckles (one with silver wash and one with golden wash of some sort)
- two intact milk glasses from canning jar lids
- a curry comb (I think that's what that rectangular item is)
- a suspender clip, garter clip and concave button
- the little spoon says "Make better cake with Swans Down Cake Flour" and my research says it's from the 1920's
- a cool blue marble (I know nothing about marbles - is there anything special to look for?)
But we've only found one coin: a 1917D wheat penny. That surprises us...but maybe these folks just didn't have much money (or cared for it very carefully).

Anyway, thanks for reading this far (if you have).
Make sure to protect against ticks!

- Brian

rzALfRN.jpg

A typical foundation in the area:
kCtfe1Q.jpg

The hike back:
ONpxC4o.jpg

Upvote 13

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro Detech Ultimate 13"
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are out there already. Had one crawling on me two weeks ago!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I'm considering a move to the east coast...nice finds and glad the bears/coyotes were away at least :)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh heck! I only found one crawling on me!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work on your recoveries and having your son assisting..ticks forecast is very bad this season..So far I use permithen not sure of the spelling on my boots and it seems to help..Stay safe out there

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Already had one tick this season myself.

Armstrong

Apr 24, 2020
Jurassic Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had unseasonably warm weather in March and April here in Northern states. So I think they are out early as I've even seen mosquitoes early. Usually the cubs home opener is temps in the 40s, this year it was upper 70s.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a spray can of permethrin and spray your socks, pants, and shirt. (But not while you're wearing them) Let it dry and you're good against ticks and chiggers. I used it last year and never had any ticks on me let alone stuck to me. Gary

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
While I've never encountered them, we do have ticks here in
Western Washington. Of the ones we do have here, very few
carry the Lyme Disease bacteria.

As for the bears and coyotes, make plenty of noise when walking
in, and out. Black bears don't like surprises, but if they hear you
coming they'll generally head the other direction.

Coyotes have pups in the den right now, and any group of them
are most likely siblings born last year. Doubt they would, but if
they did accost you be aggressive towards them, not fearful. Same
goes for bobcats and cougars.

The danger comes when you're alone (no look-out) and you're on your
knees digging; to a predator you look like prey. Take a look-out with you,
and even a sidearm, if appropriate. Don't act like prey you won't be prey. :occasion14:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds and an admirable effort. Sorry to hear that the spot had been hit already.
Had an imbedded tick in my thigh two years ago. A friend insisted that I go to urgent care to get doxycycline. I had already dug it all out but went anyway. The urgent care doctor told me that unless the tick had been attached for 48 hours, there was really no chance of Lyme transmission. It had only been in 12-14 max. She said that since I bothered coming in to urgent care and considering the β€œdivot” (her words) that I took out of my thigh, she give me the doxycycline anyway, I guess as sort of a consolation prize. She suggested that, in the future, I use something other than a pocket knife to remove the tick. I asked her my k-bar would work... she wasn’t amused.
The ticks haven’t been too bad here yet, only a few each hunt. I expect they’ll get worse pretty quickly. My wife really doesn’t appreciate it when I bring hitchhikers home and she finds them crawling on the furniture (or her).
Be careful out there.
HH
dts

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep Woods Off is worthless against ticks. It doesn't even repel gnats. There's no need to soak your clothing with permethrin as stated on the can. When I head out, I lightly spray my pants, hang them out to dry for 10-15 minutes til dry. This light spray still works on the 2nd day. I haven't tried it for 3 days yet.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I post this reply at "Tick season" every year : Get a standard size spray bottle - fill it with water and add 4 or 5 drops of Tea Tree Oil. Spray it on your cuffs, hats, any clothing, and also on your body (arms, legs, back of neck, wherever you want) It is all natural and will not hurt your skin. I have not had a Tick on myself in over 10 years, since my wife found out about this potion. You can buy Tea Tree Oil at Health Food stores, or thru Young Living oils, or any other health company that sells oils. The Tea Tree Oil smells strong, but you get use to it.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pulled my first one off two weeks ago, thanks for the reminder. Nice haul and thanks for posting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread