Deep Brown Glaze jug. 9.25" tall, barrel shaped with no handle. Any ideas on age?

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep Brown Glaze jug. 9.25" tall, barrel shaped with no handle. Any ideas on age?

I got a chance to do some exploring yesterday east of US1, between my appointments with customers. I was walking along some dirt bike/ATV trails when I noticed a bunch of broken bottles in the white sugar sand. I started poking around and saw what looked like an old vehicle path overgrown with pine and pepper trees.

I had my AT Max along just in case and managed to locate a silver plated brass(?) spoon with a bunch of broken glass nearby and decided to dig a group of signals. I immediately started running into more broken glass bottles and put my Max away and start digging to see if it might be a trash pit. Exclusively found mostly broken bottles and glass. I'm including images of some of the more unique pieces so maybe you can give me an idea of the time line or type.

I know next to nothing about bottles and ceramics so I'm hoping to learn more and for some help on the ages.
The first(only?) thing that was worth a hoot was this "barrel" shaped single serving ceramic glazed jug. It is 9.25 " tall, the base and shoulders are +-3" wide, and the middle is +-4" wide. The neck is 1.5" tall. Site-InSitu1.JPG Site-InSitu2-Close.JPG
Site-Full-2.JPG StoveTop-Full-3-VolumeNumber1-Maybe.JPG StoveTop-Full-5-9Point25InchesTall.JPG

There are two parallel lines between the shoulders and middle. I'm not sure if there is a volume/size on it or if the mark is a "1" or just a defect.
Site-Top-4-Pattern.JPG StoveTop-Full-3-VolumeNumber1-Maybe-closeup3.JPG Site-Top-2-Close.JPG

Site-Top-3-Pattern.JPG StoveTop-4-Bottom.JPG

The next up are two identical bottles (pop?) which only seem to differ by two numbers on the bottom.

Pair1.JPG Bot1-1909-NoDeposit.JPG Bot1-1909-NotToBeRefilled.JPG
Here's the "date" and logo or Manufacture's ID? (Capital A inside a circle)
Bot1-1909-Bottom-2DateMaybe.JPG Bot2-1919-Bottom-3-CircleABrandMaybe.JPG
They're from a mold, and have "No Deposit No Return" on them as well as "Not To Be Refilled" but no volume anywhere. One has "19" & "09" and the other has "19" & "19" on the bottom.

Last piece has an interesting diamond pattern on the bottom with very thick glass (+-3/4"). I've never encountered a pattern on the bottom of a bottle that will be in contact with the table. Hmmm....

Thanks for looking and adding to my schooling.
BlueThickClassBottle-w-LatticePatternBaseRim-5-DiamondPattern.JPG

Upvote 10

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a ginger beer that had a lightning stopper, indicated by the grooves.

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a ginger beer that had a lightning stopper, indicated by the grooves.

Thanks VN.
Any idea if the numbers on the bottoms of the clear bottles are dates? (That will give me a time range for the bottle pit.)

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy may chime in here about the brown bottle. He has one that he showed me last week. I think he said it was a wine bottle but I could be wrong.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I was told that the red stoneware bottle is a Lancer Vin Rose wine bottle from Portugal and dates from the 1950s to the 1970s.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does loom like a lancer...I drank that wine back in the 80s along with md2020 and boonsfarm. That explains the same date range to the other bottles found there.

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The A in a circle may be Armstrong Cork Company 1938 - 1969

Thanks VN. I don't find many bottles so I don't keep track of resources for ID's.

My buddy may chime in here about the brown bottle. He has one that he showed me last week. I think he said it was a wine bottle but I could be wrong.

good eyeball find
Thanks Mark. I can only imagine the eyeball finds you have made in your area.

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I was told that the red stoneware bottle is a Lancer Vin Rose wine bottle from Portugal and dates from the 1950s to the 1970s.

That's ok FF and I appreciate the input since there wasn't really any ID marks on the bottle. The dates are intriguing since the heyday of the nearby building I suspect they came from goes back 20-50 years earlier.

Pretty bottle,
Congratulations

Thanks ATW. Haven't found very many whole bottles. This one was a beast (thickness wise) and is probably the only reason it wasn't broken.

It does loom like a lancer...I drank that wine back in the 80s along with md2020 and boonsfarm. That explains the same date range to the other bottles found there.

OMG that's funny because MD2020 as my introduction to "worshiping" at the porcelain Goddess. My sister had to calm our mother who was alarmed at my loss of balance and "clumsiness". Oh, it went down like fruit juice and came up the same way. :laughing7:

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of more questions if anyone can add anything.

-Does anyone know if the numbers on the bottom of the clear bottles (1909 & 1919) are dates or some other identifier? The bottles seem to be the same in every other aspect. If not a date, maybe a bottling plant number?
-Any ideas on the bottle with the diamond pattern on the base (last image)? The glass is very thick. I don't remember seeing anything like that pattern before and it seems like that might cause issues with damaging whatever surface it was placed on.
Here's another image of it for perspective.
BlueThickClassBottle-w-LatticePatternBaseRim-2-Profile-w-NoCent.JPG BlueThickClassBottle-w-LatticePatternBaseRim-2-Profile-w-CentForScale.JPG

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This interesting, because I would've thought this bottle was older, my first thought was an old ink bottle. :icon_scratch:
Thankfully, the internet and fyrffytr1 set me straight. :laughing7:
Based on the shape of the base, the bottle with the diamond pattern on the bottom strikes me as being a wine bottle from the early 1900s.
Dave

Attachments

• vintage-lancers-wine-bottle.jpg
    vintage-lancers-wine-bottle.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 34

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread