My First Revolutionary War Button!!! & Lots of Musket Balls!

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Tnet folks
I've been incredibly busy lately and haven't had much time to get out digging, however I finally had a day off yesterday, (April 12th). I went digging with my best friend at a permission he had just attained where there was a decent amount of Revolutionary War activity. We had no idea what were going to find.

After arriving at the site and digging a little while, my first period find was a fired musket ball. This was an incredibly exciting find as before yesterday I had never found anything of Revolutionary War significance.

firstmusketballfired.PNG

After finding this, my friend and I became very excited for what else the day would hold. That excitement grew as we each began to find a few musket balls.

After searching where we had been for a while more, I noticed a slight rise in the terrain that looked like the kind of place where a camp might have been. I shared this observation with my friend and we both agreed to head that way in search of relics. On our way over, we dug a couple of musket balls that were quite spread out. Upon arriving at the rise, the concentration of musket balls picked up considerably, and we also began finding melted lead. The concentration was also grouped fairly tight. We noticed as well that a small stream was running right next to where were were searching, and we began to wonder if there might have been some sort of picket or small encampment or soldiers where we were searching.

Soon after this, I got a signal that was ringing slightly lower than what the musket balls had been. Upon flipping the plug back I, was absolutely shocked to see a pewter button with a mold line staring back at me! I quickly called my friend over and carefully removed the button from the plug and wiped the dirt off of the face. I let out a whoop of excitement after I saw this!:

10thRegtbutton freshlydug.PNG

My friend and I just about went crazy! I must admit it was quite a thrill to know I had just dug my first Revolutionary War regimental! After calming myself down, I did a quick search on my phone and found out my button is an enlisted man's pattern from the British 10th Regiment of Foot!! I was in disbelief that I had found such a piece of history!

It was a little while before I was able to detect again, as I wanted to savor the moment. In the meantime my friend pulled two pewter buttons with beautiful designs on them that, while not regimentals, were almost certainly worn by soldiers.

After these exhilarating finds we still continued to find musket balls:

musketballjustdug1.jpg

musketballjustdug2.JPG

musketballinthedirt.jpg

These are just some of mine. Due to the buttons and number of musket balls in one small area, there was definitely something going on where we were searching, however, due to the lack of relics other than buttons and musket balls, we are a bit perplexed as to what might have been going on. I still need to take a diameter of the musket balls, however they all had casting lines and sprue marks, which I believe means that they are American, as I have read the the British made theirs with shot towers that resulted in a smooth finish without a mold line. Due to this fact my theory is that the button I found was a captured British coat worn by a Patriot.

After finding a few more muaketballs, the sun began to set and it was time to be heading home.

In total I found eleven musketballs and pieces of buckshot and my friend found 32, putting us at 43 musket balls found!

musketballs.jpg

After arriving home, I cleaned up my finds. The button cleaned up very nice and I used mod-podge, which is a thin glue/sealer to seal the button to ensure it did not flake.

Cleaned up 10th Regt. button:

10thregtbutton1.JPG

10thregtbutton2.JPG

10thregtbuttonback.jpg

I'll post some more photos of the button as well as some of my friend's finds.

After cleaning the musket balls, I put this little display together:

allthefindsapr12.jpg

Discovering these pieces of history was one of the most exciting yet humbling things I have done in my time spent metal detecting. It's just mind-boggling for me to think that I'm digging up and handling things that soldiers fighting for the United States' independence also handled. It is truly an honor to dig up these kinds of things and I am blessed to be able to do so.

VTColonialDigger

Updated
Better Photos:

10thregt of foot button.JPG

10th button back.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 33

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Digging Rev War relics is a real thrill and you made some great saves.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wonderful finds and great story, thanks for posting and reminding me what an honor it is to be connected to our history

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for this really great post VTColonialDigger. I could feel your excitement building throughout your telling of the story, and then peaking with the un-earthing of the button. What an amazing find, and piece of Revolutionary War history! Major Congrats. Hope you and your buddy can get back out there soon. Keep us posted!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice Rev war button
Congrats

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellant post, Love the story , balls. , and awesome button!
Congrats to you and your buddy!

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Wow :) excellent finds, Congrats and look forward to seeing the other finds you all dig up from wearing that site out

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. I envy those that had rev war activity in their area. No chance of that for me but I always hope I find a rev war button lost by a veteran or something. Most of my sites seem to have had more activity before the Revolution though

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt! Digging Rev War relics is a real thrill and you made some great saves.
Thanks Steve! It was one of the most exciting times I've ever had out metal detecting!

Thanks for this really great post VTColonialDigger. I could feel your excitement building throughout your telling of the story, and then peaking with the un-earthing of the button. What an amazing find, and piece of Revolutionary War history! Major Congrats. Hope you and your buddy can get back out there soon. Keep us posted!
Thank you Silvermonkey! That button was definitely the highlight day! I think we might be going back to this site later this week, if so I'll post the finds!

Very nice Rev war button
Congrats
Thank you Relicific!

Great finds!
Thanks Benny!

Now how beautiful is that!!!! Wow what a great hunt. Congratulations on that button I love it bro
Thanks Truth, couldn't agree more!

Excellant post, Love the story , balls. , and awesome button!
Congrats to you and your buddy!
Thanks cmthunder, I'm glad people enjoyed the story!

That is exciting...congratulations! I would be pretty pumped up with those finds. :)
Thank you Coinstar!!

Wow :) excellent finds, Congrats and look forward to seeing the other finds you all dig up from wearing that site out
Thank you Bridge End Farm! I'll be sure to keep everyone updated with any more finds!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome finds and great story!! Thanks for posting!!

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. I envy those that had rev war activity in their area. No chance of that for me but I always hope I find a rev war button lost by a veteran or something. Most of my sites seem to have had more activity before the Revolution though
Thank you Toasted! I think you'll definitely find one eventually, it'll probably be when you least expect it! Some of that early stuff is something I'm a little envious of, VT's history is nothing compared to that of Maryland!!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing finds and Saves of the Rev War artifacts. That Regimental button is a real beauty and would enhance any collection. Well Done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions