HessianHunter

Jul 24, 2016
Massachusettss
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, I am currently on my trip and wanted to share with you all a very fun and great find I made. Some of you are aware of my rev war camp site I found a few years back. Throughout the area we found a lot of 19th century coins. Well, anyway, searching a new area I got a real nice silver tone and popped out a 1875 seated Liberty dime. I scanned again, and yet another silver signal! I called my friends over and but the time they arrived I got the other silver out, another seated 1875 seated dime. We scanned another tone, and another, and another. I ended up pulling 2 Indian heads, a 2 cent piece, a 3 cent nickel, what looks like a smashed 2 cent piece and two more seated dimes. Love finding a random pocket spill with such quality coins. Sadly one of the seated dimes was holed.
6006DF8C-99B1-4200-B28A-80EB6142C64E.jpeg
8E234242-0D38-4565-B781-B8CEF4307A59.jpeg
24BD53CD-9575-4A4C-883B-A98AB60FD59D.jpeg

Upvote 98

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the 1875 cc

I learned about the type varieties for the mint mark locations, didn’t know that.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the way I like it wowza good going

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should not be sad about the hole. It came from the ground, not a coin shop. To me, the hole adds character. Sure, it lowers the value but you aren't going to sell it, right? Coin spill...a dream hunt! Gary

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is insane for sure. Congrats fellow Mass hunter! I guarantee that "smashed" coin is probably a shield nickel or perhaps a V. You will see in my signature I had a similar spill and could identify every coin I found but one....until I figured out is was a V nickel. That is a dream spill. Way to go!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great spill with a good sprinkling of silver. Congrats
Seriously the holed coinage is of more interest than a plain old silver.
I would say a counter stamped would be the top shelf of any coinage as it shows a personal touch.

OP
OP
HessianHunter

HessianHunter

Jul 24, 2016
Massachusettss
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is insane for sure. Congrats fellow Mass hunter! I guarantee that "smashed" coin is probably a shield nickel or perhaps a V. You will see in my signature I had a similar spill and could identify every coin I found but one....until I figured out is was a V nickel. That is a dream spill. Way to go!

I took a better look at it. It’s worn real smooth but had some detail left, it was indeed a shield nickel!

OP
OP
HessianHunter

HessianHunter

Jul 24, 2016
Massachusettss
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great spill with a good sprinkling of silver. Congrats
Seriously the holed coinage is of more interest than a plain old silver.
I would say a counter stamped would be the top shelf of any coinage as it shows a personal touch.

Holes coins I have found so many of, but I agree counter stamped coins are actually really cool. I would much rather find a counter stamped coin than a perfect coin even.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gary is right! Ever wonder why so many silver coins have holes? Many years ago silver was thought to have special powers. It was hung around babies' necks when they were teething or had a fever. Adults wore silver for different ailments. I still have the silver half dime that my Momma and her brothers wore when they were babies.
You should not be sad about the hole. It came from the ground, not a coin shop. To me, the hole adds character. Sure, it lowers the value but you aren't going to sell it, right? Coin spill...a dream hunt! Gary

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy *&^%- was that here in Mass? Absolutely incredible- big time Congrats :icon_thumright:

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Awesome haul. Congratulations

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that’s a sweet old spill. I hope to get another myself someday because it’s such a rush! 🤩[emoji106]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread