Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. Today I returned to the historic house that produced the Flying Head Cent earlier this week, and it continued to offer up treasures.

The highlight for me was the 1879 Indian Head Penny. The date is very clear, as is about half the coin, but the other half is buried under corrosion, as you can see. What does the forum think: should I try to clean the corrosion (losing the green patina in the process), or should I leave the coin alone (since I can see the date)? I'm tempted to try to remove the corrosion by using some carefully applied ketchup...

The other green coin is a 1918-S Wheat Cent, which I like because it's SOOO green. Looks like someone painted it.

To the right of the green cents is a button that says "Smith's", but its much older than the band. Does anyone know what this would be from? (every search of "smith's button" turns up something related to the band....). EDIT: maybe it's from Smith's Workwear? They were founded in 1906 in Brooklyn and made overalls and such. I still haven't found an example of this button though...)

The skeleton key is cool, though it's too bad the tooth is broken off.
Just below that is a piece of lead that I swear looks like a brontosaurus (but it's just a hunk of lead). Below the brontosaurus is another larger piece of lead.

The two cars are also cool: one is a Lesney Jaguar "E" Type (1960's), the other is a Jeep but I don't see any manufacturer's markings.

I found a date-less Buffalo Nickel too, though I forgot to put it in the first montage picture; it's included in other pics.

Thanks for looking!

- Brian

PJH3jKA.jpg

0AcwaOc.jpg uJAuvNs.jpg

uEzua4n.jpg mPDU1pQ.jpg

8gJhoJx.jpg 64vX1tC.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 15

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the pennies green. I'd leave them alone. The date is clear on them, no need to wreck the patina. Gary

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice assortment-well done on the return hunt.
It's a personal thing-if not a key date and you're mood is bringing up the details give it a try.
The one side will pop, but I have feeling there's going to be a bit of an issue on the bottom of the wreath area. The face above where the corrosion is the heaviest might have a tad bit of pitting as well.
But I have been really :hello2: in the past cleaning up coppers and how the before/after have turned out while still retaining the patina.
I like the dino looking glob.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ended up working on it a little more with the Andre’s pencils but the corrosion is strong and I’ll only damage it, so I’m leaving it alone.
Final result (the date and the shield look great, which is something).
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1619107703.233448.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1619107713.218926.jpg

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting